Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by jj21 on 10-27-2007

Reviews: 485 | Ratings: 1,274
3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

I can tell an unusual amount of time and devotion went into making this beer versus the rest of the Leinenkugel portfolio. It pours a deep black with a beautiful strong café au lait head. At first the nose reeked of burnt drip coffee but as it warmed a deep soy sauce quality emerged like a kitchen sink late in the morning after stacking coffee mugs atop last night's still dirty chinese food plates; not in a bad way, but those dishes may have been better off being washed sooner.

My first impression as I raise the glass is that my fingers are really sticky, really, really sticky. I blame myself for the sloppy pour and rinse my fingers before continuing. First taste, more burnt coffee, then sweetness, loads of it! Like a kid making his first cup of coffee, spoonful after spoonful of bleached white granules; no one is watching. Bits of chocolate & cookie dough trying to push through hoping to round out the middle, but nothing is getting past the overpowering sweetness/bitter one-two punch.

I am very glad that this bottle is only 12 oz. and next time I crack into my 4-pack stash in the cellar I will happily to invite my brother over to split the little-sized Big Eddy. And anyways, that's family does when Leinies are in the cooler, we share!

Like a hunter after too many rounds: I get what they were shooting for but I think they missed... and that's OK 'cause we're just here to have fun & drink some beer. Seeing as this my third RIS tasting this week I am forcing the bronze on this one.

3.04/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle sent to me by a close friend in Madison. Thanks Poffenbarger!

A: pours a relatively thick, inky black. A gentle pour produced a light tan lace ring around the edge, so I can imagine a vigorous pour might actually produce a full-covering head, which would be surprising for a brew of this abv. It sits in the glass looking dark and menacing, with absolutely no light penetration. I usually judge beers this dark by tilting the glass and looking up through the diagonal edge to see how much light can get through: not even the most tilted, shallow depths would allow the hint of any light. Impressive.

S: alcohol dominates, overpowering the dark malts. There is almost a hint of meat?

T/M: A brew this complex demands to be served correctly: you *must* drink this at the appropriate temperature – any colder and I would consider it unapproachable. I found it a little unbalanced on the bitter burnt side. The alcohol taste is strong, too strong actually. The ‘meat’ aromas make sense now as there is a slight hint of smokiness. There is a faint hint of chocolate that is buried by everything else that is going on. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

D: I would have to call this one a ‘one and done.’ As a disciple of the genre, I can typically guzzle the thickest offerings on even the hottest of days, but I had to really work at this one.

A valiant effort nonetheless. I plan to cellar the other 3 for a loooong time and re-visit this in the future, as it is definitely an incredibly complex brew that perhaps needs a little more time to settle.

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

A: inky black with a gummy one-finger head the color of rusted pennies. It recedes at a glacier's pace, getting denser and leaving sticky walls of lace as it does.

S: plum sauce, raisins, molasses, espresso, dark chocolate, some fairly strong floral hops and sweet bubblegum and cocoa powder. It leans more to the fruity side, but the roastiness is strong enough to create a nice balance. Not bad.

T: it begins pleasantly enough, with flavors of raisins mixing nicely with dark chocolate and coffee beans. The dilemma comes mid-palate, when my mouth's invaded by oddly tangy plum juice. It's far too sweet and clashing with the roasted malts rather than melding with them. The weird tang only grows as I make my way through the glass, especially noticeable on the sides and back of the tongue.

M: the problems continue. The body isn't horrible -- it's medium-light and smooth, though still a little light for me. The carbonation is just WAY too high, assaulting my tongue with vigor. There's a pretty noticeable alcohol tinge as well.

D: I got this bottle for free, so I can't complain. But I'd never pay for one. Too fruity, too disheveled, too boozy for its own good.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance - Good looking pitch black. No head or lacing.

Smell - The only aroma I get is a slight burnt malt.

Taste - sweet malt like melted chocolate. I can't make out anything else.

Mouthfeel - Full and creamy.

Drinkability - Not something that I feel a need to drink again. Not unpleasant just kind of forgetable.

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

Shared during a small Charlotte BA tasting with marine1975, caSSino, CarolinaKevin, and GehenHerzog. Big thanks to GehenHerzog for bringing this one to share! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured black with a half finger khaki colored head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, peach, plum, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, plum, slight roasted malt, and wood. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The aroma on this one really struck me as strange. It was really hard to pick up on the notes on the aroma too, so I was really surprised to find peaches and plums. The flavor was nice and smooth though which made it decently enjoyable. Glad I got to try it, but doubt I would go out of my way to do so again.

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%

This 12 ounce 2011 vintage bottle was purchased at Siciliano's Market in Grand Rapids, MI, for the handsome sum of $2.99. The bottle has a pry off cap as opposed to Leinenkugel's standard twist-off cap, leaving me with suspicions as to whether or not this is actually a Leinenkugel product. The label looks as though it was printed on a repurposed grocery bag. The label also brags about some bullshit like 11 malts and three distinct hops as though more malts and hops equate to better beer. If it seems like I'm being a bit hard on this beer before I even open the bottle, check out my reviews of other Leinenkugel offerings to understand why I'm more than a bit skeptical going into this. I'll be sampling Big Eddy at a temperature of about 55 degrees.

I pried off the cap and poured into a tulip glass. A horizontal pour manifests two fingers of creamy looking mocha-tinted head. Retention is pretty good. Lacing clings delicately to the side of the glass, eventually sliding into the receding head. The beer is about as dark as they come. No light can be seen through any part of the glass. We're off to a good start.

The aroma robustly displays all 11 herbs and spices, err, malts. Seriously though, the aroma leans toward sweet and malty. A delicate kiss of chocolate malt can be detected. For the most part however, the aroma is intensely fruity, a la, dates and plums. Licorice is noted. Some solvent-like alcohol comes through in the nose, which should be expected for a brew of 9.5% ABV. As it warms however, the alcohol becomes increasingly apparent.

The taste follows the aroma fairly closely. Fruity sweetness charges out of the gate with impressions of green apple and sweet cherry. Overly roasted malts add a charcoal impression that combines with the fruity sweetness to arrive stunningly close to the flavor of burnt barbeque. More cherry juice flavor ensues. Though the finish is very sweet it is not what I would call cloying. However, marshmallow is noted in the aftertaste. I wouldn't call the flavor profile balanced, or well crafted, but I do not hate it either. The irony is in how authentic these fruity flavors appear while Leinenkugel's offerings containing "natural fruit flavors" end up tasting like children's breakfast cereal.

In the mouth this stout is medium bodied, with a decent boost from the spicy alcohol. The carbonation level is low. It feels thinner than I would expect from 11 malts. If oats are one of them, then you wouldn't know it in the mouth. The weight and texture wind up working okay because the flavor is so fruity. Per style however, I expected something much more heavy and viscous.

All in all, my feelings remain mixed about this supposed RIS. It looks great, but the aroma, taste, and feel are all unconventional and leave much to be desired. All could be forgiven if this were on the bargain end of imperial stouts as Leinenkugel's other offerings tend to be. However, at $3 a bottle, Big Eddy winds up costing more than much better beers in the genre, namely Old Rasputin and Brooklyn Black Chocolate. It's also about three times the cost of Leinenkugel's regular offerings. Instead of bragging about the number of malts in their stout, Leinenkugel should probably have spent more time formulating for better flavor, balance and feel. This is a perfect example of how more is not necessarily more.

On a positive note, I think this would make a fantastic marinade.

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel's Big Eddy.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

Charcoal black in appearance with a still, sandy brown head. Thin head almost completely dissolves into small bubbles.

Sweet and chocolaty aroma. Has a large malt bill backed by a touch of roastiness. Some bitterness at the back end. No alcohol aroma. Pretty straight forward, but still quite appealing.

Chocolate malt and honey sweet flavor profile. More roastiness and bitterness than the nose indicated. The finish is dry and bitter with a hint of salt. Soy sauce perhaps? Lots of ash as well. Great start but the finish is head scratching.

Medium mouthfeel with some creaminess and adequate carbonation. A bit too watery for the style and not refined. Decent drinkability. It's really hindered by the ashy finish.

Not a bad effort as it certainly has some nice flavors. I really enjoy the chocolate malt bill; however, something just seems off here. The ashy, salty finish is becoming more overpowering with each sip and the bitterness is oddly misplaced. I'd like to try it again to see if my palate reacts differently, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

3.11/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours deep black with no translucency or highlights whatsoever. Has a finger of rich mocha-brown head with decent retention. Slow, lazy bubbles drift up the glass through the viscous liquid. No lacing.

S - It is a mixture of bittersweet chocolate bar, an estery grape-like aroma, and some mild espresso undertones. No appreciable hop aroma. This smells very very sweet for an imperial stout.

T - Unsurprisingly, very sweet up front with lots of bitter chocolate and caramely malt. Minimal amount of acrid or burnt grain flavor through the middle (I would actually prefer/expect more for a RIS). The sweetness really predominates across my entire palate, morphing from malty, to chocolatey, to berry-like in the finish. Not much hop bitterness or booziness to speak of.

M - Strays more on the thick side, which is expected for the style. Carbonation is good, possibly a little strong. Leaves the mouth feeling syrupy and sugar-laden.

Overall- The guys at Leinenkugel's took a good stab at the RIS style. This is a decent beer, but it strays much too far on the sweet end with not enough hop/burnt grain character to balance it out. With a little tweaking, this could really be a great stout.

3.12/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Westmalle goblet.

This beer pours a dark India Ink black with mocha highlights when held up to the glass. Just a bit of a head is present with a vigorous pour. Just a little head sticks around on the sides of the glass. Pretty standard stuff for a big stout. The aroma is chocolate up front. It reminds me of what a Hershey's dark chocolate syrup would taste like. Sweeter dark chocolate with a bit of ripe cherries. Just a hint of booze on the tail end of the aroma. The flavor is similar. Dove sweet dark chocolates. Hints of sweet cream. Dark, ripe cherries with just a bit of date. There is a odd flavor that i cant put my finger on. Almost reminds me of a band-aid/plastic on the finish. The booze is hidden very well. Its really completely hidden. I would have never expected it to be a 9.5% stout. The mouthfeel is decent. I wish it was a bit creamier/oilier. Overall, its a good stout. Nothing to write home about but something I would order occasionally.

3.12/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a jet black opaque liquid with a rather robust and slightly bubbly dark brown head.

S-the nose has an acrid roast up front, molasses and toffee, a fair bit of slightly sour green apple, with some dark chocolate lightly in the back.

T-lots of roasted malt with a ton of green apple right behind. acrid, burnt coffee with notes of molasses and dark chocolate. Somewhat fruity in the back.

M-medium body and very smooth on the palate, almost creamy. not thin but not thick at all. soft lightly carbonated finish.

D-interesting imperial stout, goes in a slightly different direction. a little sweet in the finish and the green apple is very different.

2010 vintage poured into a New Belgium globe on 02/07/2010

Pours very very dark brown and looks jet black in the glass with a big, dark brown head that rose up in cascades. The head took a long time to fall into a thinner cap and laced the glass beautifully.

This beers seems more acidic and spicy than most RIS's and as it warmed up, the anise-licorice notes got a little too strong. Not bad per se but doesn't smell much like an RIS. Moving on to taste...

Big Eddy, although named Big, seems like the younger cousin of Bell's Expedition Stout (an RIS that can kick a lot of ass). Strikingly reminiscent of Expedition in its dark and acidic "tartness", this beer tastes like prunes and dried strawberries!

Few swigs of water...

Although the tartness of Big Eddy reminds a lot of Expedition, Big Eddy doesn't even seem like a RIS at this point. It's dark and black alright, but the roast is entirely missing. The acidity is all fruit and no coffee and that comes as a disappointment. A good beer, and perhaps the best to come from Miller-Coors, but not what the label promises. Warm temperature is perhaps the true test of a beer, and Big Eddy has lost all its "bigness". While it could have been a decent something else, it sure doesn't have the mouthfeel to live up to the tag of RIS. The alcohol seems solventy at times and the spiciness gets overwhelming. Very very average if viewed as a stout.

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours deep and dark, a medium brown head rises and falls to a ring. Smell is freaking crazy. Somewhat like an RIS but all over the damn place and when I say this I mean it. Sweet alcohol and chocolate soaked fruits. Cherry, raisin, plum, grape. Roasted scents underneath the overwhelming sweetness. Some coffee notes and underlying charred scents. But then...am I the only one...some olives? Weird...I'm confused. Taste is very, very sweet and not so pleasant. Lots of fruity flavors, way more than any other beer of this style I've encountered. Dark chocolate but overtaken by fruity sweet flavors. A bit of licorice or molasses. The hints of roasted flavor are almost gone from the flavor but linger in the aftertaste along with a slight hop presence. Great full and dense body. Almost syrupy thick but just shy. I finished this one bottle but don't really think two is possible. Just not a favorite of mine, mouthfeel was definitely the highlight.

Thanks goes to alexgash for this long ago in a trade...

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout pours dark black color, with a nice size tan head. There was a very strong bitter, black licorice type aroma. The taste had some coffee notes and some black licorice notes, then finished with a strange bitterness. The taste was a bit watery, and the funky bitterness at the end made this beer not too enjoyable.

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle picked up in Jersey poured into a pint glass, a nice looking bottle.

Big Eddy pours out really bold black dark night sky with a dark tan head mocha like foam that raises up and dies into a cap leaving nice patterns. smell is roasted malt up front, dark fruit some chocolate. The fruit comes out and I get hints of a certain Jamacian stout, meaning some rotting may be a coming, I'll be drinking quick. Taste is a nice roasty stout that has nice stout characteristics mentioned above and some too much, namely the dark fruit. The feel is very thin for the style and needs a boost to keep things in check. Above medium, but not chewy enough for style, carbed nice. Glad I tried this one, needs a bigger build.

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to Jesse for this bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown almost black with a good finger of brown head.

S: Roasted malt, caramel and green olives from a jar.

T: Sweet with roasted malt, caramel and good hop bitterness at the finish. Slightly acetic. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Medium-thick body with decent carbonation.

O: Not very complex to me. One is enough for me.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

12oz bottle poured into snifter

Pours an opaque black with a layering of toffee brown head on top. Retains with a layer of near-solid film, and a few splotches of lacing on the glass.

Decent roasted malt character in the nose, hints of anise and coffee beans. Touches of chocolate and sweetness, faint alcohol.

Slight hop bitterness, quickly swept away by roasted malts. Dark and full with coffee beans and some hints of licorice. Suggestions of dark fruit and candied sweetness. Light chocolate towards the finish with more dark roasted malts and a faint chalkiness.

Fuller body, lighter carbonation, a bit oily, and very lasting on the tongue. A fairly decent stout and nice roasted quality, but falls by the wayside of many contemporaries.

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle. From the most recent release. Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown/black color with a dark tan tightly bubbled head. Some lace as the head settles down. Dark roast, mild dark chocolate, tobacco, and almost a vegetable like aroma in the nose. Some booze also evident in the nose. Mdeium mouthfeel, too light in my opinion. The first flavor I notice is some mild smokiness that sticks around the entire time you take a drink. Sweet dark chocolate flavor along with some boose and dark chocolate bitterness to end this. I can't say that I am falling in love with this one.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- Pours up a finger's worth of head which really doesn't have much retention at all. The head is dark beige with hints of purple while the body is almost a fully opaque, dark chocolate black. There is a slight hint of burgundy when this beer is held up to the light. Some lacing but rather minimal at the moment.

Nose- Very subdued- I really have to strain to get anything at all. Light caramel, light chocolate, light roasted notes. Perhaps a touch of raisins from the glass. Not a very good sign for an Imperial but it does happen from time to time. Swirling shows a light cocoa that hints at bubblegum. Some hints of alcohol as well.

Taste- Shows a lot more presence than the nose and is pretty sweet even for an RIS. Starts off with bittersweet chocolate, cocoa, and coffee that moves into a searing finish and linger of raisins mixed with noticeable alcohol. The raisins are definitely the dominant aspect of the flavor profile and they tend to an almost cherry cough syrup flavor. Some woody bitterness on the finish with slight spice (maybe cinnamon?). The alcohol isn't strong but the pairing with the cloying sweetness makes it seem like an off-note. Some hints of brownie. A good amount of bubblegum. It's not bad but it just doesn't really work as an RIS. Pretty much above average at this point. I wasn't expecting but this is a little too one-dimensional for my tastes. A tendency toward metallic notes. Earwax bitterness on the finish does not bolster this beer's case. Some indication of dark stone fruits but these flavors seem off and too sweet as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation and some syrup to the texture.

Drinkability- The sweetness is a bit cloying and will make this beer a bit of a slog. I imagine this would be a drain pour for many. 3 bucks a bottle isn't a bad price but this beer certainly isn't worth it.

Overall- Pretty much just above average. Maybe age would improve it but I don't care to find out- I just want to be done with it. I would not recommend this to anyone unless you like cloying sweetness. Would probably be better cold.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

A- pours black with a tan/brown head that settles after a couple minutes to a thin layer. Healthy lacing as well.

S- There's a slight medicinal scent here, along with cocoa and more of a mocha/cappucino as opposed to a coffee. Had to mark it down a bit b/c of the medicinal quality.

T- medicine taste comes through in the taste with the taste of burnt cocoa beans. Tastes like they were going for some nice chocolate covered coffee beans, but just missed the mark.

M- seems slightly oily, but finished rather dry carbonation seemed misplaced and overrepresented

D- sure, it's drinkable but there are much better examples out there

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

Leinenkugel's pulls out the big guns with this RIS. "Dark and complex with 11 malts and grains by three different and distinct hops," the bottle says. All right, let's check it out.

Pours medium black with a faint mocha head that gives way to a couple of wispy thin white swirls on top of the black mass.

Not much to the smell -- chocolate raspberry? A couple of bourbon notes? Otherwise, pretty neutral.

Taste -- bourbon front-end with dark chocolate which explodes to a complex finish including some burnt chocolate, wildberries and caramelized sugars. (It must be those 11 malts that provide such a complex finish!) A harsh, but warming, RIS.

This offering is quite good compared to the run-of-the-mill Leinenkugel's lagers, which are a little caricaturish in nature. A great effort from the Leinenkugels.

3.24/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle courtesy of Grub: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted malt with loads of sweet notes. Taste is also dominated by some sweet cloying notes with some light notes of black chocolate and coffee. Full body with oily texture and good retention and no apparent alcohol. I think I am going against the grain on this one but I just can't like these super sweet imperial stout; I prefer them when they are more balance with coffee and black chocolate.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought from Bev Mart
Dark black color
Low Carbonation
Burnt roasted malt smell
Taste of smokey chocolate, alcohol taste is noticeable
Overall I would not buy it again. To me a good beer is you can feel the alcohol, but not taste it. The characteristic flavors should be the dominate taste.

3.26/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz bottle 9.5% abv stated on bottle.

Poured black, black with a small medium tan head that stayed in a ring all the way to the end.

Smell was overwhelmingly raisin and fig.

Taste was the same almost sickening sweet raisin, fig, plum along with some very roasted maltiness. The alcohol is also very dominant in the finish.

mouthfeel was good, oily, thick, coating. very heavy and nice which is expected in a RIS.

This one seems a little out of balance with the sweetness and dark fruitiness. Perhaps a tad more hops would help balance it out. as it warmed it got better, but still not right. I finished it, but i do not htink i would ask for another.

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

Beer review from BA Mag Dec 2007.

Even large regional brewers have been swayed to brew limited-edition big beers as they see the popularity grow and the consumers calling for more flavor. This offering is brewed with 11 malts and grains and three different hops.

The pitch-black liquid pours out a little thick and viscous as the modest carbonation struggles to break from the solution. Decent head retention as the tan lace does stick to the glass here and there. Sweet aroma of dark berries, chocolate and molasses with a hint of acrid burnt malt in the back. Syrupy full body with a slick creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation. Starts off with a bite of burnt malt that makes way for the sweetness, which is substantial but not cloying. Suggestions of dark chocolate, blackberries--blackstrap molasses comes to mind. Hops are hard to find with the massive malt backbone though a quick kiss of herbal flavor hits in the middle. Sweet in the end with a long linger of charred malt flavor.

A good stab at the Russian Imperial Stout style, it's worth a try to compare against the many craft brewers that are coming close to mastering this style. A good 6 months to a year of cellaring may do this beer some good as it seemed a bit green around the edges with all of the sweetness.

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is a dark, slick, brown-to-black coloring with a thin, filmy ring of brown bubbling around the surface. Aromas of molasses, vanilla, a touch of earthiness, and an overbearing sugary sweetness. Flavors are muddled on a rich, creamy body. Fruity sweet overtones, with hints of banana blending along the dark molasses and earthy tones. Some bitter coffee and hints of booze create a slightly limp backbone. The body is great, but unfortunately the flavors don't match up to it. Slightly bitter, boozey finish, but not overpowering or cloying.

Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company