Leinenkugel's Classic Amber | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by Bitterbill on 10-31-2008

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 668
2.13/5  rDev -32.2%

A: Poured a translucent orange with bronze hints. A mushroomy head, dull white in color, sits atop, moderately lasting while collapsing cleanly soon after with no visible lacing. Visible carbonation was faint. Found the coloring to be a tad off per style, more orangey then amber, really translucent in nature with a weak head doesn't leave much of an impression.

S: On the nose was cold steel and cold oranges. Very little or no hop aroma, was very clean and light. Once again lacked any hoppy or malt aroma and can not justify even an average rating here, falls well short and was unimpressive.

T: The flavor was tart with funky cold oranges and an dry orange candy sweetness. There is a bad sour finish, funky and musky in nature with a bittering wet lemon peel hopping. Falls way short of any expectations.

M: rough in texture, fizzy and light bodied. Overcarbonated and seltzer like.

D: Drinks like an adjunct amber with a bad, tart fizzy orange soda like quality with a weak, watery hop presence makes this a big pass. Only gets worse progressively while you drinking. Honestly found this to be a defamation of character against all American ambers. Better suited as a drain cleaner.

2.08/5  rDev -33.8%

Appearance- brown to amber red in color, little to no head with a moderate to low carbonation,

Smell- very weak nose with just not much being given off at all, slight grain and malt

Taste- Very disappointing flavor on this one, its just kind of a bland tasting lager here, almost slightly off on the finish with an odd metallic twinge, Slight grain and malt with a slight twinge of bitter hops on the finish, just not that great with something seeming slightly off

Mouthfeel- rather light crisp and low carbonated

Drinkability- Nothing I was even tempted to reach for again that night at the bar or anytime soon, of this style there are just so many beers better out there you will have to not search out this one again, maybe my tap was bad or something but just kinda of a let down beer

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer wins the "Clown Award" for funny taste. Why would I pay a premium price for a beer that tastes this bad? Rates very low on my scale. Avoid this one at all costs. Save your loot for a better beer. This is even worse than some of the big brewers mass-produced stuff.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured into a pint glass and it looks good. A light semi-transparent amber hue with a one finger head and a wee bit of lacing.

Smell was feint but matly.

The taste is what made me grade this beer so low. Now I have rated some of leinenliugal's beers higher than the average but not this one. I like amber beers but was not impressed with this at all. It has a very metallic taste that comes across as bad bitter, not to be confused with good bitter.

I'm a huge fan of amber lagers but I'll pass on this one.

Pours a clean yellow to orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a sweet malt. In the taste, a sweeter malt and a bite gingerbread like. A small bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry malt in the aftertaste. A sweet gingerbread malt to a dry end, eh!, really lacking any flavor.

1.99/5  rDev -36.6%

I just can't resist the winter sampler packs... They shall be my downfall.

Really light color-- it's pretty gold with just a touch of "dark gold" color. Maybe it's just me, but I figured this Classic Amber would be a little, you know, amber.
White fizzy head... Streaming bubbles of carbonation in copious amounts. Nice legs, decent retention, but no lace left behind for more than a brief bit.

Smells bland. The nose is very subdued.
Some sweet malt... Little chalky finish. Hops are almost nonexistent, save for a touch of bitterness on the finish.

Way too overcarbonated. This is fizzier than a BMC lager. (and yes, I'm aware this technically qualifies as "a BMC lager," don't VE pedantic).

Overall-- choice between this beer and;
water-- I take water.
Bud lite-- I take the classic amber.

1.73/5  rDev -44.9%

I've been on an amber kick so I thought "what the hell?" I poured into a pint glass to little head that quickly receded. The smell was malty with some fruitiness. The taste was even worse than the Moe's Backroom Amber that I had two nights ago. I have to say that I am disappointed in this attempt at an amber.

1.73/5  rDev -44.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy honey color. The appearance of this beer is the best part of this beer.

S: Very unusual smell...grainy or metallic but not pleasant at all.

T: Some hops bitterness comes through especially in the back of the throat. Not much else in the taste except for a very unpleasant metallic after taste.

M: Not bad, Not great. Sort of thin and a lot of carbonation.

D: I really don't care for this beer! Makes me want to grab some chips or peanuts. Something to get that after taste out of my mouth. I've talked to a lot of my northern neighbors who really like their "Leinies" but I guess I am just not a fan.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last