Leinenkugel's Classic Amber | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by Bitterbill on 10-31-2008

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 668

Pours a golden-ambery color with about one fingers width of pure white foam.
Smells a little malty but nothing really stands out to me.
The taste is just normal. There is a little sweetness to it, but this beer does nothing to really stand out. It's ok to drink but it doesnt have me wanting to drink another.
There are better Red Lagers out there, this one just runs in the middle of the pack.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer wins the "Clown Award" for funny taste. Why would I pay a premium price for a beer that tastes this bad? Rates very low on my scale. Avoid this one at all costs. Save your loot for a better beer. This is even worse than some of the big brewers mass-produced stuff.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Deep Amber, almost clear w/ hint of haziness. Initial head dissipates quickly leaving only slight lacing.

S: Initial smell of earthy maltiness, with a light bouquet of hops, hint of fruit.

T: Light but lingering hoppiness with a bit of sweet caramel at the end.

M: Average light-bodied feel - pretty well-carbonated.

D: Fairly good drinkability. Not a particularly memorable beer.

3.99/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured out with 1/4 of head that disapeared fast. Nice reddish amber color. People will notice your not drinking a light beer.

Smelled of sweet roasted grains.Hops.

Lightly toasted bread. Tasted of hops on the back.

Medium body. Light carbonation.

Very drinkable. A sesson beer.

I think this is a winner from leinenkugel's

3.26/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Reddish coppery appearance with a creamcolored head starting at two fingers and whittling down to a thin persistent layer that remains through the drink. Lacing is solid.

Smell: Average. Esters and banana which both come through in the taste later.

Taste: As I said before, there is a banana taste to it, and just a touch of spiciness. It's a decent tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Neither weak nor strong, not possessing much in the way of anything to dominate the feel.

Overall: A pretty average beer. It has good flavors to it, but won't wow you or anything.

3.02/5  rDev -3.8%

A friend left this beer over my house. It sat in my fridge for a few weeks before I was desperate enough to drink it.

I had really low expectations, and this beer did nothing to change that.

A: I poured into a pint glass. A slight reddish-tinge. Light amber. A loose, two finger head that dissipated rapidly.

S: Sweet bready. Slight malt.

T: Watery. One note. A little of the sweet malt coming through. Not horrible. Just not exceptional.

M: Actually coated my mouth nicely. Pleasant

O: I would probably not go out of my way to get this again, but it wasn't horrible. Very sessionable. If my friend happens to leave this in my fridge again, I will drink it. Not bad enough to throw out.

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a light brown/amber almost yellowish color.

Hits the palette with a good crisp feel, followed immediately by a nice flavor.

I like this beer. There is almost a sweet flavor to it, like brown sugar or something I can't put my finger on. There is a bit of an aftertaste, but it's not bad.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

I'm not going to detail every aspect of this new "flavor" of Leinies. It's been reported that this beer is being "slotted" (by Leinies) as competition against Sam Adams on the national scale. I found it to be very 'generic' for a "micro" or "niche" brew. Flavor's OK, nothing outstanding. Drinkable. To me though, it's just "beer", nothing that justifies the price point it's being marketed at. I'm willing to pay a premium for some of their specialties (Oktoberfest, Creamy Dark), but IMO, this isn't "special", and shouldn't be priced as such.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last