Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

1888 Bock | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

leinie.com

Style: Bock

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 12-12-2008

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a tan head. The aroma is strong malt, mainly biscuit malt but some caramel as well. The flavor is more of the same with lots of malt and no apparent hop flavor or aroma. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

An average bock beer, can there be a category for beer that is not so bad because of the cheaper price?

Pours a chestnutty brown color with a clean white head, about 1 inch of foam that lasts a while.

Aromas of malts and a hint of oak.

Tastes clean and rich with a minor hint of bitterness I wasn't expecting.

Heavier mouthfeel but with very little aftertaste, which is unusual for Leinenkugels.

Considering its a macro it is not too bad, a little better than average.

For some reason I don't like the name. I think when you use numbers that are meaningless to most people it is not such a good thing. Better to stick with 1776 or something familiar.

A-Pours an almost unnatural chestnut color with a white head.

S-Caramel malt and a sweet graininess with a hint of dark fruits.

T-Follows the nose almost exactly.

M-Caramel and graininess with some roasty characteristics.

D-Actually not that bad for a $1 a beer. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again, but if it was on sale I'd consider it.

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%

pours a deep amber like cream soda. little head and lacing.

nice bready/malt nose, a little like beer bread batter with some yeasty wafts. not bad.

flavor is actually not bad, but is obliterated and subdued by the odd mouthfeel of too much carbonation and thinness.

drinkable enough and probably a good summer brew or mid-spring gardening refreshment. but nothing special.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The 1888 Bock poured a dark Coca-Cola brown into my pint glass with a small off-white head that didn't stick around long.

The smell was of roasted malt and some caramel. The taste was pretty much like it smelled. Caramel and roasted grains with a little (not much) hop presence in the back with a slightly bitter finish, not very strong. Just enough carbonation to add a little zing.

The mouthfeel was thin but thicker than tap water. About what I expected. My sample went down pretty easy. If this is what I am in the mood for, I would drink a few. Like a lot of Leinie's products, I think this bock is decent but not great.

This bock is pretty much on a par with Shiner Bock. I guess of the 2 of them I would buy which one that is on sale. For $6.49 a sixer, 1888 Bock is worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A- A clear, deep red/ brown with a thin but creamy off-white head.

S- Sweet fruit, roasted malt, brown sugar, and a bit of a floral aspect. Rather appealing.

T- Exactly the same as the aroma with an emphasis on the sweetness. The roasted malt and fruit combine nicely here.

M- Very clean with a bit of a spiciness from the carbonation.

D- Clean and well done. Drinks nicely. A beer I could see getting again.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Typed up review from notes taken previously.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Dark auburn/amber color. Almost looks a little purple in some light. Light tan head bubbled up fast ans lingered for a while. Pretty decent lacing too! Off to a good start.

Smells of burned/charred wood and toasted caramel malt that really highlight some nice malts. Not really getting any hops.

Nice and sweet. Toasted caramel and a little citrus/floral/springtime freshness taste. The slightest amount of dryness is detectable... but this is certainly malt heavy.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied. Very smooth and drinkable.

At 5.2%, this could make for a pretty good session beer, if you were in the mood for maltiness.

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

pours a brown color with chestnut hues has a nice 1-2 finger slowly receding head and then a beige ring and nice clingy lacing the smell was toast and malts some sweet toffee some caramel some vanilla..the look and smell does not= the taste.it was thin on the b4 mentioned smells and just turned out to be average for a bock it not bad its just light bodied and light flavored not robust like you like a bock to be..leinenkugal is not a brew i ever seek out but i tried a single of this one.i will say it is worth a try but i will not buy again and will say dont buy a sixer go for a single

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A – It pours a rustic clear chestnut-brown, with a small amount of lacing.

S – It smells like black toast.

T – Its not so strong on taste. Vaguely cereal-grainy, and burnt roasty, but very random and unfocused, with a definite macro taste and feel.

M – The feel is flat, but not due to lack of CO2, just because it feels wimpy.

D – Nah. This is not very good. Most things labeled 'anything-bock', that are not made in Germany, generally suck.

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into a shaker pint. Poured a nice clear mahogany color with a big big-bubbled light tan head with some lacing. Very mild almost not there roasted malt aroma. Taste too is on the mild side with hints of roasted malt and caramel with a clean finish. Highly drinkable. This beer is very mellow in flavor but for some reason I like this brew alot and was happy to see it stayed in the seasonal rotation.

3.88/5  rDev +19%

12oz. bottle into a siedel. no bottled date.

(A)- Pours a clear brown color that produced a good eggshell colored head that clung to the glass in certain areas.

(S)- Nutty, with bits of raisins & molasses. A touch of vanilla.

(T)- Plenty of toasted almond-like nuttiness with a bit of raisin-like vanilla creaminess. Lightly sweet & molasses.

(M)- A good carbonation level & balance. Nice toasted-like flavors with a good sweetness for the style that isnt in your face strong.

(D)- A good Bock that is just as good as I remember it from last year when it was first bottled. What I like about it is that its a great sessionable beer that I usually dont find that often in the bock style. I could definitely have a few of these. Not overly sweet which I like.

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was coke colored and had a nice big tan head. The lacing was also really goo giving me hope. The smell was caramel and clean and fresh. However I thought the beer was pretty bland and tasteless. I will not buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Dark, ruby. Good bock color. Nice 1 finger head. Light shines through quite easily.

S: Can someone tell me the aroma that I encounter in every Leiny? Is it corn? This "bock" struggles to have a malt presence. Smells a bit too adjunct like all of the Leiny's I've come across. Smells like macro beer I suppose.

T: Just tastes fake. Think this was the straw that broke the camels back for the Leinenkugel family for me. Not even close to a good bock. Tastes like corn and corn syrup.

M: Thin, mildly carbonated. Not nice.

D: I suppose you could have one or two of these (although I struggle to have one). Just a mess of ingredients.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another one from Leine that I was able to try today. I had been neglecting them so I decided a mixed sixer would work the best and this was the last of it. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/13/2010.

The pour was pretty damn good I have to admit, nice hazelnut brown in color with a smooth, even head of white that reached a height of around two fingers deep before fading off into some nice side lacing. It backed off just a little bit but still left a decent amount of lacing along the top. Aroma was rich roasted nuts, hints of bready malts, touches of barley and a nice, but light earthy bittering hop profile. Really well done I have to admit. Smooth and creamy body led to a really nice feel here, well carbonated and easy to drink, I had no trouble at all with enjoying this one. As each rich creamy sip passed over the palate it seemed to get fuller and fuller, roasted nuts, bready tones and a nice chewy, earthy quality all seemed to work quite nicely.

Overall a very solid little bock here, I have to admit I was not expecting it to be as good as it was and I was quite surprised by this. Nice job.

3.51/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is growing on me. I really can't stand Leiny's but I bought a sixer of this because I was craving a cheap bock and I didn't feel like buying the Dundee 12-pack for two bocks. By the third one of these I'm really starting to get some good bock character out of it. Pours a very dark amber with a thick, tan bubbly head. Minimal lacing. Subtle malt smell. Slight caramelly malt taste without being obtrusive. Nice largish body for a beer of this wee caliber. Bocks are pretty much my favorite lager style beer and this holds up pretty well. We really need more bock selection from some other micro-brews!

2.47/5  rDev -24.2%

Clear, dark brown, little head and a faint lace and no carb bubbles. Smelled strong, burnt grain, almost a stout. Mouth had an watery, slightly sticky wash with a bit of bitter and odd, "old prune" aftertaste?

Okay, so what does it taste like? Sour grains, burnt a bit, with a bitter outer range. My main impression is prune. That's it. Unimpressive.

Well, I don't really like Leiny's stuff much. I've had a few that are good, most fall in the average category for me. Better than BMC but still, towards the bottom of the step off beers.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. Thanks to my eldest brother for dropping this (and the glass) off for me.

A- Deep reddish copper and clear. ~1 fingers of tan head. Head fairly quickly into a thin, incomplete cap. Minimal lacing

S- Light aroma of toasted malts. Hints of sweetness.

T- Subdued roasty and slightly nutty flavors mix with a light caramel sweetness.

M- Moderate carbonation. Fairly light feeling, and a bit thin.

D- Decent. Nothing terribly impressive or outstanding about this beer, but nothing off-putting either. Easy drinker that could be sessioned.

Future outlook: Unspectacular yet decent easy drinker. I won't make an effort to get this again, but won't be upset to be given another.

2.32/5  rDev -28.8%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

a: wow. surprisingly good look to this...could be this be the first decent Leinenkugel brew? thick tow finger head that simmers into a thin lacing. great dark brown color.

s: barely any aroma. faint hints of grainy malts. nothing special.

t: oh no...thin, watery malt flavor. dammit leinenkugel! you've let me down again! strange grainy bitterness up front, a very faint taste of caramel and bready malts in the finish. not very pleasant of a flavor. at all.

m&d: over-carbonated mouthfeel. drinkability is terrible, because of the aforementioned reasons.

ugh! when the hell is this brewery going to put something out worth drinking? i can't believe these guys have been around for this long, putting out these kind of mediocre brews.

it's like they cant decide if they want to be sam adams or budweiser, so they try doing both....and fail miserably.

2.54/5  rDev -22.1%

As with most other Leinhenkugel beers, 1888 Bock takes some shortcuts that cheapens the style.

A standard Bock-brown with mohogany highlights, good clarity, and a lot of carbonation. Off white head shows fizziness at first but soon settles into a froathy blanket that covers the beer and laces well. Aside from the carbonation, the beer has a handsome appearance.

The character of the beer is a one-dimentional malt flavor and aroma. Wet grain flavors play a major role in the complexity where a malty melanoidin-rich flavor should take precedence. Grain astringency gives an awkward bite and hurts the smoothness of the beer. Light caramel and toast try to make the beer Bock worthy but is more of a tangent than a benefit.

Thin, harsh, and astringent- the mouthfeel is where the beer suffers the most. Michelob Amber Bock passes for a better Bock than this. Not a good showing at all.

3.98/5  rDev +22.1%

Pick this up at food lion just to give it a try. A nice surprise. This is pretty good. Pours a nice medium brown with a nice head. Really not much in smell. Taste has hints of nut in it. Feel nice in the mouth and this is very drinkable. This is not a bad beer to pick up at food lion.

3.59/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance - Clear, bubbly red with a cream-colored head.

Smell - Caramel malt, alcohol, and hay.

Taste - Sweet and malty. There's a little bit of bitterness and walnut in the middle, and a lot of caramel throughout. The finish is long and sweet.

Mouthfeel - Medium thickness and high carbonation. Pretty crisp.

Notes - This is actually a pretty decent beer. A little low in alcohol for the style, and more carbonated than I prefer, but otherwise not bad. Kind of reminds me of Shiner Bock, though a bit more complex. It seems like the kind of beer that might be much improved on tap. Another good intro-to-craft beer.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Poured a mahogany color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a sweet malty nose

T - Follows the nose sweet malt with a touch or caramel

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - For what it is its really not a bad beer it has a pretty good taste thats easy to drink for an easy to get beer its worth a shot

2.9/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a lighter than expected bock. brown opaque color. light carbonation. light lacing. decent taste but a bit weak for me there too. this would go well with food for it would not overpower the food nor fill you up too much. worth a try but there are better bocks out there.

suckem up and movem out

giblet

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Dark brown color with poor head.
S - OK but nothing exciting.
T - Not bad but I'm not sure it is their best effort.
M - Light - what I expect from their beer.
D - Definitely something I won't mind having but I might go back to getting their Creamy Dark when I'm in the mood for a Leinenkugel.

3.82/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Poured into a snifter... a weak fizzy head erupts and disappears quickly leaving no lacing. Beer is ruby/brown with little activity

S- Smells of malt, bread, coffee

T- Ill be honest, much better than I expected. Has a nice caramel malt taste with a crisp finish

M- Medium/full bodied with light/medium carbonation

D- I think I could put a few of these down. Definitely better stuff out there, but the best Leines I've had so far

CHEERS!!