Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by garymuchow on 08-30-2002

Reviews: 491 | Ratings: 1,677
4.7/5  rDev +51.1%

Great tasting light caramel colored beer with a sweet malty tasty. Out of the October beers I have tried I so far feel this is the best,get 6 pack you'll be happy you did.

4.43/5  rDev +42.4%

Aroma: Moderate melanoidin malt aroma with very faint lager yeast and hop spice notes.
Appearance: Sharply clear with a deep amber color, it pours to a firm tall off-white head that clings to the glass.
Flavor: Starts malty sweet and finishes appropriately dry. Moderate melanoidin malt flavor with a touch of toastiness. There is some lingering coarseness in the finish that is inappropriate, perhaps from the cluster hops.
Mouthfeel: The body is moderate but offset by the dry finish, if you don’t like heavier bodied beer, this one should please you because the finish is dry without cloying. Carbonation is medium.
Overall Impression: A very good Oktoberfest that could benefit from the omission of caramel malt and cluster hops.
Comments: Oktoberfest/Marzen is one of my favorite styles of beer and I’d be happy to drink this Leinie any day.

4.41/5  rDev +41.8%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Leinenkugel's imperial Pint.
5.1% ABV, DEC0312 printed on the neck.

A - The delicious caramel-amber colored beer is instantly inviting and foreshadows the upcoming fall season and the changing of the leaves. Crystal clear and bubbly, the beautiful and radiant body is topped by a crown of just-slightly-off-white foam. Tall to start, it's got great retention with a thick collar of lacing.

S - An initial 6-row pale malt grainy aroma subsides quickly to a much more pleasing toasted Vienna-like malt nose. Munich and caramel malts add some underlying sweetness to the dry aroma, but it's boldly earthy. Dry leaves, grass clippings, and a bit of spice from the hops all give this beer a pleasing, balanced scent.

T - Impeccable balance in the taste, the maltiness really takes a moment of reflection to unfold. It starts with bready, flaky KFC-like biscuit and adds on a dab of honey sweetness and toast for something that goes beyond the harsh grainy aroma into specialty grain depth. Hops finish out with a light spice and herbal lingering finish which quickly suggests German noble hops.

M - While many other American breweries load their Oktoberfest with rich maltiness, Leinenkugel's gets what this beer is all about; drinkability. Leinie's Oktoberfest is a medium-light bodied Oktoberfest with high carbonation and a dry, crisp finish, complete with some mild, desired bitterness!

O - From the appearance to the finish, Leinenkugel's sexy-looking beer nails the great drinkability for the style with a well balanced and nicely malty brew that screams to be consumed in large quantities. While others might be a richer fall treat, this beer takes up quite a bit of room in my fridge each fall because it's often the Oktoberfest I want to reach for.

4.32/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Another pleasurable addition to The CANQuest (TM) and one that I {think that I} picked up at The Foodery (Northern Liberties). I have been a Leinie's fan ever since my visit to Hoos Warner in Madison, WI back in the spring of 1992. I know that they have really expanded their lineup of beers since then and the fact that they are CANning them makes it a double-plus bonus for me. Someday, I hope to relocate to the midwest, but for now, I am satiated by their beers.

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for five generations"; "The flavor of Fall with Munich, Pale & Caramel Malts and Four Specialty Hops".

I employed a Crack & Inverted Glug to get things started and it produced a finger of dense, tawny head as a result. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a honey-like lager sweetness along with a breadiness, initially, and warming, I began to perceive the caramel. Mouthfeel was medium, but there was a pronounced effervescence due to all of the carbonation noted earlier. Taste was sweet, but not cloying, and I really liked the way that the malts interacted so that it had a sweetish, bready flavor initially and then took on a sweeter caramel taste on the finish. I also noted a slight grassiness, perhaps Hallertau hops? Fall seasonal? Hell, it's a "German-style Marzen" and it's damn close to March as it stands. I would like to see this released more often and if not, stash some away for late winter. It is just that good.

Today is Su, 23 Oct 2016 and I have a bottle as a part of the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 so the bottle review follows.

From the bottle: "A perfect beer to celebrate the Fall season. Featuring Munich, Pale & Caramel Malts with Four Specialty Hops."; "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for six generations".

Confounded screw-top bottles! They deprive me of the Pop! of the cap & cause me to yell "Smyert Botylok!" I simply vent my frustration with a heavy-handed pour which produced two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-plus quality clarity & loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was quite sweet with notes of caramel, toffee and a breadiness from the malt. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste had an odd astringency along with the aforementioned caramel and toffee flavors. I would have preferred that it be outright sweet as opposed to including whatever was causing a taste that put me in mind of hydrogen peroxide. Ugh. Finish was semi-sweet, but I just could not get past that sharpness. Clearly, I enjoyed it MUCH more from a CAN than from a bottle. I'm sticking with that format.

4.18/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very pleased with this beer. It left the impression of eating fresh baked bread on a cold autumn evening. To me, considering the style, I think it is a very good tasting beer. It's not overpowering, or watery. It's just a good sessionable beer that I will definitely be buying again.

4.06/5  rDev +30.5%

Looks just beautiful. Crystal clear, golden towards the bottom of the glass gradiating to copper toward the top, with a nice white 1 finger cap of foam. Certainly can't fault it on appearances.

The aroma isn't awful either. Just a nice toasty malt note. Reminds me of slightly toasted white bread, with a sweetish back end.

The flavor pretty much follows suite, a nice slighted toasted bread flavor, with a mild caramel note, the finish isn't overly sweet, ending on a fairly dry note for a marzen, not leaving any residual sweetness like I expected.

I dunno I don't really see anything wrong with this beer, it's not a bad marzen by any means. Crisp, light, easy drinking. I mean, sure it's brewed by leine's so easy to hate on, but I truly think it stands up decently to other representations of this style.

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest brewed by Jacob LeinenKugel Brewing with an ABV of 5.10% This brew pours out a nice light brown color with a small white head. The smell is rich with flavor and grains. Nothing special so far. Now for the taste it is smooth with some burnt grains. Oktoberfest has a nice balance to it. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Leinenkugel's did a nice job with this one. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

Poured a medium copper hue with a finger and a half creamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a multi layered graininess with the possible adjunct aroma present. A respectable noble hop aroma as well.

The taste was upfront grainy and husky with a touch of caramel sweetness. An excellent spicy and suprisingly citrusy hop flavor. Good biscuity finish.

The mouthfeel was perhaps a bit thin but not bad. Very clean.

Overall a very tasty and drinkable Octoberfest. Perhaps not that authentic style wise, but certainly a good sessionable beer. I was pleasantly suprised.

Thanks to mac56 for this one.

Leinenkugel's 12-packs were on sale at the local store, so I picked up a case of Oktoberfest to try.
Appearance- nice amber, moderate carbonation bubbles rising up. 2 finger head that slowly dissipated into a long-lasting 1/4" foam with nice lacing around the glass as well.
Smell- Not much. Hardly noticeable. A little bit of sweet nutty malt.
Taste- sweetly bitter at first with roasted nuts, caramel, malt. An ligh aftertaste of tingly, spicy hops.
Mouthfeel- really good. Perfect amount of carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Medium-bodied.
Overall a decent beer. Not my favorite, but worth a try.

I think this is a damn fine Oktoberfest beer. Yes, as other's have noted it is not a heavy beer like most beers in this style. However, the flavor is great. It has a great head and looks beautiful in a glass. If I lived in colder climes I might have an issue with the lightness/wateryness of this brand, but if your October has temps in the high 80s and 90s, this beer is refreshing. It's the best "cheap" Octoberfest I can find anyway. Better than Sam Adams for sure.

Pours a thick, pillowy off white head, light amber color with plenty of streaming carbonation. Aroma of toasted malt and mild hop spice. Finish is dry & pleasant. Flavor is just right, not too sweet and no funky spices or flavoring. Well done to the style.
Served from 12 oz bottle in pilsner glass.

3.99/5  rDev +28.3%

/Bought as a single bottle from Beers of the World on 9/20/14. Served at fridge temp in a dimpled mug.

Orange amber with a natural white head. Minimal lacing.Aroma is toasted, nearly roasted caramel malt with a faint whiff of hops. A touch of caramel sweetness kisses a nice dry, clean finish. Mouthfeel is good. This is a tasty, good, American style Marzen.

3.98/5  rDev +28%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by Nov. 3rd. 2009.

(A)- Pours an orange amber color with a good but quickly dissipating white head that has some minimal lacing here and there.

(S)- Very dry wit slightly sweet honeyed malts coming through. Some corn meal action.

(T)- A dry, yet lightly sweet and even lightly hopped corn with a touch of nuttiness.

(M)- Great carbonation level with a good balanced yet almost complex array of flavors. A good example of the style in my opinion.

(D)- A solid example of the marzen style. One of the better Leine's offerings out there. 6pks of this will not last long at all.

3.97/5  rDev +27.7%

Oktoberfest day fifteen has me sampling Leinenkugel's interpretation of the Oktoberfest/Märzen style.

Pours an amber-copper hue bubbling to a nice one-finger slightly off-white head of foam that dissipates somewhat quickly and leaves behind just a touch of lacing.

Aromas of nice, sweet malt come through in the nose, rounded out by notes of grassy hops.

Tasty sweet malt flavors dominate the palate up front, carrying into a great hit of hoppy bitterness in the middle and finishing with a slight bitterness. Body is medium and nicely carbonated, but in the finish it becomes a bit watery.

A great, drinkable beer, and overall a great offering amongst the Oktoberfest seasonals. In my opinion, this is one of closer adherents to the original, though it could use a slight up in the maltiness, body, and alcohol content.

3.97/5  rDev +27.7%

A- Rusty autumn looking color to the body. Very bright white micro bubbly head, which dissipates fast.

S- Smells earthy with a hint of orange citrus, very pleasant.

T- Citrusy earthy taste. Malt is present but goes away fast. Very pleasant after taste.

M- Very carbonated and light for a lager. Leaves you mouth a bit over watered.

D- This can be an easy to drink beer. Very light and not too strong.

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Good price at Target, $1.17 a bottle.

Label looks old-fashioned, middle-America, Christmasy.

Smell out of bottle is definitely malty.

Taste out of bottle is malty, chocolaty, caramely, with a little apple.

Color is a nice golden/caramel/red in glass

Taste from glass brings out even more maltyness.

Carbonation is just right, now overpowering, allowing the malt flavor to do its thing.

I like it.

3.94/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a clear copper/amber, finger of off white head that settles quickly to a ring. Moderate carbonation when rocking the glass. Moderate lacing left down the glass. I get a nice caramel note and toasted bread in the aroma, nothing unusual for this style. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. It's a dry beer all the way through, with a slight sticky quality that goes nicely with the caramel notes. Medium light body, and nice, lively carbonation. The beer is probably not going to leave you saying WOW!...but I think it is a very pleasant brew and certainly not an overly sweet mess or a too hoppy version of the style. $11.98 for a 12 pack of Leine's Fall pack, here. I think someone trying to get into beers with more flavor, and not a lot of bitterness, would love this brew.

3.92/5  rDev +26%

I've been buzz sawing through all the oktoberfests I can get my hands on and figured I better give this one a try. Poured into my pint glass the beer is bright burnt orange. Rather clear with tiny bubbles floating to the top of my glass. Generous beige head rests atop my beer. After receding there is a tiny amount of lace left behind. The aroma is malty and pronounced. Some sweetness a touch of breadiness. By far the strongest nose I've found so far in the style. The flavor is spot on for the style. Nice smooth malt with a pleasant hop bite to round it out. A wheaty biscuity flavor is strong in the finish. Medium body moderate carbonation. Overall I have to declare a winner in the race for top marzen. I have a few more to try so I can't crown it yet but, Leinenkugels has wowed me for the first time in my life. This is what I'm looking for in an oktoberfest.

Reviewed on 11-14-09
Cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Dark golden caramel color, very nice carbonation, good head retention, 2 fingers of foam after pouring

S - Little caramel smell, faint smell of pine

T - Medium bodied, sweet caramel malt taste, very smooth not much of a aftertaste considering the malt flavor

M/D - Another good beer from Leinenkugel's, very tasty, not overpowering in the malt department, pretty sweet taste. I brew to enjoy during cool evenings!

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear dark orange color, with a good finger and 1/2 worth of off white head, that settles to a nice layer with great lacing..

S: Toasted, Roasted, Caramel sweet malt.

T: Just like the smell here.. lots of wonderful sweet malts here.... Slightly caramel sweetness with a toastiness. The flavors are smooth yet mild, just enough to enjoy but not over bearing.

M: Light to Mid bodied, little watery at first bit smooths out as it warms up.

D: I really liked this beer... ABV was good, flavor were good... not much not to like here for me. Another good beer form Lein's

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

I have to say I love this beer. It may not be the greatest oktoberfest out there but its above par for American companies. This was the first real beer that I ever had. I don't consider big brewrey stuff like Bud and Miller real beer. Picked up my first twelve pack of the year today and I am sure there will be many more to come!

3.87/5  rDev +24.4%

Tried this beer when me and some friends tried all the Oktoberfest available in Kansas. This was by far one of my favorites. Super smooth and tasted great.

3.86/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Decent if it's what you can find, but there are many better Marzen style beers. It's in the ballpark but the definitely didn't hit it out of the park.

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%

Leinenkugel’s Oktoberfest has a thin-to-medium, cream-colored head, a clear, amber appearance, some streaming bubbles, and a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, toasted barley malt. Taste is of the same, with a light hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Leinenkugel’s Oktoberfest finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, semi-dry, and highly drinkable. This paired well with the deluxe breakfast platter. I rate it very good.

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%

From bottle. Pours a clear medium copper with medium white head. Aroma of toffee, caramel and biscuit malt. Definitely more of a malt presence than hops, which is to be expected. Medium to full-bodied with a tasty, easy drinkablility. Lacing lasts throughout the crisp finish, with malt presence remaining. Overall an above average seasonal offering from Leiney's - CHEERS!

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company