Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,700 |  Reviews: 496

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.32/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Another pleasurable addition to The CANQuest (TM) and one that I {think that I} picked up at The Foodery (Northern Liberties). I have been a Leinie's fan ever since my visit to Hoos Warner in Madison, WI back in the spring of 1992. I know that they have really expanded their lineup of beers since then and the fact that they are CANning them makes it a double-plus bonus for me. Someday, I hope to relocate to the midwest, but for now, I am satiated by their beers.

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for five generations"; "The flavor of Fall with Munich, Pale & Caramel Malts and Four Specialty Hops".

I employed a Crack & Inverted Glug to get things started and it produced a finger of dense, tawny head as a result. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a honey-like lager sweetness along with a breadiness, initially, and warming, I began to perceive the caramel. Mouthfeel was medium, but there was a pronounced effervescence due to all of the carbonation noted earlier. Taste was sweet, but not cloying, and I really liked the way that the malts interacted so that it had a sweetish, bready flavor initially and then took on a sweeter caramel taste on the finish. I also noted a slight grassiness, perhaps Hallertau hops? Fall seasonal? Hell, it's a "German-style Marzen" and it's damn close to March as it stands. I would like to see this released more often and if not, stash some away for late winter. It is just that good.

Today is Su, 23 Oct 2016 and I have a bottle as a part of the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 so the bottle review follows.

From the bottle: "A perfect beer to celebrate the Fall season. Featuring Munich, Pale & Caramel Malts with Four Specialty Hops."; "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for six generations".

Confounded screw-top bottles! They deprive me of the Pop! of the cap & cause me to yell "Smyert Botylok!" I simply vent my frustration with a heavy-handed pour which produced two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-plus quality clarity & loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was quite sweet with notes of caramel, toffee and a breadiness from the malt. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste had an odd astringency along with the aforementioned caramel and toffee flavors. I would have preferred that it be outright sweet as opposed to including whatever was causing a taste that put me in mind of hydrogen peroxide. Ugh. Finish was semi-sweet, but I just could not get past that sharpness. Clearly, I enjoyed it MUCH more from a CAN than from a bottle. I'm sticking with that format.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

3.82/5  rDev +22.8%

Very good Oktoberfest brew. Reminds me of holiday in Munich. Very festive tasting beer, with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon with a slightly citrus bite. I would recommend it to those who cannot handle real German beer that has a high ABV. Perfect for beginners in the world of Oktoberfest brews

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Looks like a solid session. High carbonation with foam and, especially, lacing. Pale brown in color.

Smell: Faint pineapple along with faint lightly toasted nuts.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Well-balanced bitterness and sweetness, but very generic. Some apple and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is actually quite crisp and enjoyable.

Overall Drinkability: A middle of the road beer. Easy to drink a bunch with no problem.

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%