Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.13/5  rDev +4%

I picked up a can of Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy a couple days in a mixed shandy pack for $13.29 at Meijers. Leinenkugels Summer Shandy is one of my go to Disc Golfing beers, so I thought I would try the berry version to see how it stacks up. The variety pack just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, it's very similar to the Summer Shandy can but with some berrys on it. It poured a pretty hazy orange/red color that took on some red hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that had a slight pink hue to it and it faded to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, the color is a little weird but the head and lacing were nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a pretty noticeable berry aroma with no one berry sticking out the most and it's followed by that typical summer shandy lemon flavors which blends nicely with the berry flavors. Up next I get some grainy and slightly bready malts with some doughy yeast aromas in the background. The aroma is ok, it's the lemon and berry aromas go good together the berry aromas are a little to heavy handed.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with berrys showing up first imparting a generic mixed berry flavor followed by the typical summer shandy lemonade flavor, they mix well together but I think the berry is just a little too overpowering. Up next I get some a some grainy and very bready malts with some doughy yeast in the background, and pretty much no bitterness with some light tartness and a berry. bready and lemonade like aftertaste.

M- Smooth, fairly creamy, refreshing, medium bodied, with a slight lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was an OK beer and a slightly above average example of the style, the berry flavors was a little overpowering but other than that it blended well with the summer shandy base. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was refreshing, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink more than a few of these on a hot summer afternoon, but i think it's a little less drinkable than summer shandy. What I liked the most about this beer was the drinkability, it was really nice, and just what I need on a hot summer day on the disc golf course. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, i wish the berrys were toned down a little bit so they didn't overpower the lemonade flavors. I would buy this beer again, it's great for those warm days of disc golf and I recommend it to most people who like shandys. All in all i was happy with this beer, I still like summer shandy more, but this was nice variation of that and it will be nice to mix it up with a couple cans of this, nice work Leinenkugel's.

1.75/5  rDev -41.9%

2.59/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy/cloudy pink beverage that appears like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice.

S: Sweet smelling but only slightly acidic, with that yeastiness coming through.

T: You get this weird kind of fruit juice flavor, closely followed by that yeastiness that I have had in a lot of my beers lately. It tastes a bit like grapefruit juice at the beginning but that is.

M: Almost no carbonation to speak of. There is ever the tiniest bit of foamy bubbles at the end though.

O: Not good. Even though I had their Summer Shandy a few days ago, I can barely remember the taste, but I believe the other one tasted a bit better. I was intrigued by the style and how it would taste, but these have not been good. Get some Fentimans if you want to try out the style, even though it might not be heavy on the beer side.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%