Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Reviews: 246 | Ratings: 1,759
3.42/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: very dark brown, head dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. Not opaque like most porters.

Smell: smells strongly of vanilla, much more so than most vanilla porters. Also some malt. I kind of enjoy the aroma.

Taste: also tastes strongly of vanilla, maybe a hint of coffee and/or chocolate.

Feel: smooth, not very carbonated, which is to be expected. Not bad but not great.

Overall: not as bad as people on here say, but not the best beer ever. I enjoyed it but wouldn't go out of my way for more.

4.95/5  rDev +46.4%

an excellent beer overall. Nice dark brown blackish color to it. Small to medium head. Taste of hops and chocolate and other. A great holiday beer and it goes down quite smoothly

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

I bought this in my search for a good vanilla beer. It's very light in smell and feel for a traditional porter. The flavor doesn't hit until it's almost swallowed. It's more on the sweet side but doesn't have a strong vanilla flavor. The malt flavors are noticed on the bottom and top rear sides of the tounge and give a traditional porter chocolate - coffee note taste. The sweeter flavor lasts at the back roof of the mouth and doesn't leave too strong of an after taste as porters go. I prefer IPAs but if you are looking into starting to like Porters this could be a good one to try as it's not as intense as others are.

I wish I could give this beer a -5. Since I love porters, I decided to try something new. Because of this beer I will never try anything new again. Tasted like soy sauce and vomit. A waste of money. We should have been paid to drink this, and if I had known how bad it was, I would have left the money and the beer and run. I wouldn't wish this beer upon my worst enemy. If I had to choose between drinking this beer once and eating an entire jar of mayonnaise for the rest of my life, I would choose mayonnaise gladly. DO NOT BUY unless someone is forcing you to at gunpoint. Warn your friends about this garbage.

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a MillerCoors product, so the beer snob in me doesn't want to like it, but I can't help myself. I love it.

Awesome light Porter, chocolate notes and very subtle vanilla, not too heavy. I could (and will) drink these all night.

3.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not bad. Vanilla in the aroma doesn’t mix as well as it does in the taste. Sweetness at first made me think of a baltic porter, but roast grains( and bitterness) are present under the vanilla. Slight bitterness on the palate, and overall mouthfeel is just a touch on the watery side. Otherwise, better than I expected.

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Dark brown, almost black.

Smell: Dark, coffee-esque, malty aroma

Taste: Smooth, and surprisingly easy to drink for a porter. I could see myself having 2 or 3 of these in a sitting. Malty, with heavy hints of coffee and just the right amount of vanilla. Delicious, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: surprisingly pleasant mouthfeel. Goes down very smooth.

Overall: Solid choice for when you want something tasty but you only have time to run to the gas station. Worth the price, and I'd definitely drink it again.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A moderate pour into a shaker pint produces about a ¾ inch head of a light tan color. The beer is a deep ruddy brown, but a bit pale for the style.

The aroma is spicy and a little buttery at the edges. The vanilla is subtle in the aroma, but more forward in the flavor, though it is not overbearing. Chocolate and caramel notes assert themselves as well. A note of spice is detectable as well, suggesting a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, though this might be merely suggestive from the vanilla flavor. A nutty bitterness helps to balance out the sweetness.

I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed this beer yet. It seems to me that Leinie's has toned down the vanilla from earlier versions, allowing the natural malt goodness to shine through a bit more. It's still a bit thin for the style.

App-3.25 Aroma-3.5 Flavor 3.75 Feel 3.25 Overall 3.5

3.06/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Dark brown, a little lighter than most porters I'm familiar with. Dark cream colored head that disappeared in a minute. Little lacing. Smell of sweet malt and coffee, just a hint of vanilla. Taste is much the same, which is fine. I was worried about too much vanilla, but was surprised. Mouthfeel is reasonable, on the thin side of normal porters, with lots of carbonation.

Overall this was a decent brew that fixed my porter craving. A bit pricey for what it was, but I'll live. Probably won't get again, but it my desire to try something different.

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: Bottle into pint
Served: 18 December 2015

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color, but not as dark as some other porters or stouts. Distinctive amber highlights around the edges. Poured aggressively, it yields a two finger dirty brown head that unfortunately collapses extremely quickly. Looks alright, but I wish the head would stick around longer.

Smell: Sweet malts, espresso bean roastiness, little to no perceptible vanilla in my opinion.

Taste: Similar to the nose- I didn't find a ton of vanilla in the beer, though it definitely was there a little bit. I'm glad they didn't overdo it though, since that could have led to a sickeningly cloying beer. Overall, the beer is dominated by a sweet malt backbone and a pinch of roastiness from the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Higher carbonation than many other porters/stouts, but that isn't terrible here.

Overall: A good beer, and one I could definitely drink a lot of, but nothing notable. I feel like this is up there with Guinness as far as availability and complexity goes- it's easy to find and doesn't taste like much, but given this or a Busch Light, I'll gladly take this in a heartbeat.

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Just had this on draft. Much better than bottle. I consider this a light porter with just the right amount of vanilla. Next time I will fill my growler with this one.

4.53/5  rDev +34%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice dark color creamy texture with just a hint of vanilla to balance out the roasted chocolate flavors. Flavor notes are complex and distinctive while not being overpowering. Also if wonderful balance of aged and fresh brewed flavors. Nice and crisp with with an enjoyable warm bitterness at the end. This is a great brew for someone starting out into darker brews.

3.36/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

lots of mass appeal attempt porters coming out this year that look to pale to even be considered a brown ale in appearance. not sure why thats a trend, but calling this a porter is a bit misleading. thin and as amber as it is brown in color, good head tough and lots of bubbles, fizzy even. it lacks the depth of a good porter in nose and taste. none of the roasted barley or specialty dark malts are there at all, and that earthy bitter base is really missing for me. as a brown ale type, it works better. some chocolate malt in here for sure, and it plays nicely with the vanilla, which while sweet, seems to be rather genuine, true to the bean. the vanilla is perhaps a tad over dosed in my opinion, covers up an already thin and absentee grain profile, so it seems like a flaw, but thats probably what they were going for with this one. on the bright side, its still kind of strong for what it is, and probably works for their idea of a winter warmer brew. this is fringe craft at best, but i dont hate this one as much as some of the new shandy gimmicks. could have no more than two, but i would recommend this to a vanilla lover that doesnt quite get in to the real dark ones. personally i wished for more grain layers here, more from the dark side. not enough body either for something called a porter.

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A fairly typical looking porter, with a distinct vanilla note over roasted malt foundation. A touch artificial, but not offensively so. The feel is thin, but there is nothing wrong otherwise. A drinkable pleasant brew.

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Decent brew, my only issue is how thin and watered down it was. Then again most of Leinenkugels beers are light and watery. It tasted fine and was easy to drink. I'd drink it again but don't expect anything more than an average porter.

3.01/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Henrietta, NY.

This one pours a dark brown, almost black, with a off-white head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like artificial vanilla flavoring, and some chocolate, but no roasted malt notes, unfortunately.

This isn't horrible, and it's drinkable, but the vanilla flavor seems really artificial. Luckily it's not overwhelming. There's some chocolate, but no roasted malt or bitterness to balance out the artificial flavors. Disappointing.

This is medium bodied, a little bit thin, with a creamy mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation.

A fairly disappointing porter, here, not much to recommend.

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%

This is the perfect beer to introduce your friends to darker craft beer. It's easy to drink, it has a good mouth feel and an excellent taste, and it's usually dirt cheap. At $12.99/box where I come from it's a godsend.

It looks fine, it's a nice dark color with a small head. Smells really range per batch, some batches have really nice and sweet aromas while others I've had are mildly skunked, which can impact the taste. HOWEVER, this beer tastes delicious, it's got great notes of vanilla and maybe even some chocolate, mild maltiness, and it's not overly complex--it doesn't try to outdo itself. The mouth feel is filling but not too lasting, and it's easy to drink warm or cold. It's a perfectly 'good' entry beer. The reason I wouldn't rate it any higher than 3.75 is because I've had much more complex and interesting beers since I've had this one and the taste hasn't held up over time. This might be my own personal view but I think the overall rating reflects that. Though I've introduced this beer to many people who have never had craft beer and they've had reactions like "wow this is good!" and "this is my new favorite beer, I didn't know beer could taste this good." I don't often get that reaction with beer, so take that for what you will. I like this beer even today, it's too bad it's a winter batch.

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks.
Smelled of vanilla, maybe even malt characteristics.
Sweet, almost thick vanilla taste, overcoming any darker, chocolaty flavors that may be around.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Smooth and rich in flavor. Distinct chocolate and roasted nature with a tinge of vanilla undertone. Very good balance in incorporating vanilla without overdoing it

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark, deep amber almost black. Decent head retention
Smell: Almost spicy, yet sweet and malty.
Taste: Vanilla cocoa taste with a hint of spice on the back end. Nice for a winter day
Feel: Warm and creamy but overall OK.

3.46/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Deep, dark, amber color. Not much head retention. Aroma is malty and sweet. I actually really like the aroma of this.

Taste is of toasted malts, maybe a bit overly toasted? Sweet, but balanced. I notice a slight vanilla flavor, but not nearly as much as you would expect after reading "Vanilla Porter" right in the name of it. (No qualms there, I'd rather leave vanilla out anyway).

The mouthfeel is relatively thin for a porter, but decent enough to keep me interested in drinking a few more. Carbonation is good.

Underrated.

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is good if you are into Vanilla. Since I am not that into Vanilla I can only say that the beer was ok. I am glad it was given to me in a mixed 6.

4.07/5  rDev +20.4%

Good winter porter, has lots of flavor, and you smell the vanilla without it overpowering the rest of the beer. This beer is definitely not for everyone

3.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Today is a snow day. Today is a snowdrift vanilla Porter day. Now listen, son.

It looks : fluffy, pillowy khaki colored head, 2 fingers and then 1; it "drifts" along the side of the glass like snow. The lacing is signature Leinie, always webby, generous, and beautiful. The body is like Pepsi, caramel colored and 60% opaque.

It smells : dark roasted cocoa and chocolate, musty earth, coffee bean, faint dark hop. Some spiced vanilla. There is a cancer of wet and musty smells permeating the aroma, it's slightly off-putting.

It tastes : Boy, I'm glad I didn't buy a sixer. This is about the most uninteresting Porter I've ever had. It's literally boring. Some roast coffee bean, a hint of cocoa, some cola, and at the end a nice jellybelly-like vanilla bean flavor comes in and settles at the back of the throat. The finish is easily the best part. But I'm really fishing, I mean fishing and trolling, for some kind of flavors. Very minimal.

Mouthfeel : flat, wet, minimally carbonated. Ends slightly roasted. Overall not a fan of the Mouthfeel.

Overall : I really wanted to like this beer. It's pretty much the most boring Porter and possibly the most boring beer I've had. Note - I didn't say "worst", I said boring. It's worth a try but don't expect much excitement.

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

I had the chance to try this on tap a few nights ago, and it was excellent. The combination of sweetness and just the faintest bitter taste was worth every drop.

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company