Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: American Porter

Drift into winter with Snowdrift Vanilla Porter, back by popular demand as our Winter standalone. A fuller-bodied brew with hints of cocoa, coffee and caramel brought out by roasted malts and aged on real vanilla, our Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is smooth and creamy, making it perfect for warming up winter.

Added by TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Ratings: 1,844 |  Reviews: 267

3.87/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours dark, dark, dark...beautifully dark. Nice white, frosty head, slight lacing.

Coco beans, chocolate and vanilla on the nose. Actually, the smell is my least appeal of this beer, not that it is bad but it just isn't strong enough to match it's dark appearance. I will say the vanilla stands out much more on tap than from the bottles that I've had before.

Flavor is nice, smooth and balanced. Bitter dark chocolate mixed with a woody, smoky vanilla bean. The carbonation is high on this porter, a nice surprise considering how dark this beer is. The carbonation comes on the finish combined with a slightly bitter coco...but clean. Again as with the smell, the vanilla stands out more on tap than from a bottle. Some have suggested this beer is vanilla sweet, I disagree, I think it's balanced very nicely.

Over all this is one of my favorite offerings from Leinenkugel, it's a very easy drinking porter, perfect for any cold winter day...the relatively low alcohol content (6) makes it also easy to have several. I prefer it on tap over the bottle but bottles are cheaper than kegs ;) This is a seasonal beer, so it's will have a short window on the store shelves...I have a 12pk in my beer fridge, I don't want to run out to soon.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Dark but translucent. I can see birds on the feeders outside my window through this porter. Large two finger creamy tan head that hung out for a while. Minimal lacing.

S- Dark roasted malts prevail. Some light fruitiness and a slight hint of vanilla.

T- Dark roasted chocolate malts, but not real dark. Slight coffee. An almost perfume-ish vanilla flavor in the middle, followed by a weird tart fruit aftertaste. Could be cherries.

M- Light and lacking the creaminess I look for in a porter. Leaves a waxy feeling in my mouth.

O- Well I've had better porters for sure. This is not well balanced at all. I think they fell asleep when the hops were supposed to be added. Not a big fan of this version. Drinkable but I won't purchase this brew if other options are available.

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer looks and smells great. The beer has some bold flavors including chocolate and coffee. It has a little bit more sweetness than I would generally prefer in my beer; but the winter season only rolls around once a year, so it's easy to enjoy. If you haven't tried Leinenkugel's Vanilla Porter, I recommend that you do.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.62/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Black. Reddish brown hue when held up to light. Leaves a very thin lace of head.
Smell: Roasted malt and coffee.
Taste: Malt and light coffee/cocoa. Touch of sweetness.

This isn't bad. I think it's worth drinking, or at least trying once. The dark pour is inviting, and the remaining head lace is decent. The smell is also enjoyable with a roasted coffee and malt influence. You can also somehow smell something sweet in the background. The taste is a tad bit stronger, but is basically the same as the smell. It's a sweet, roasted coffee. I probably wouldn't get this again, but I'd certainly enjoy it and drink it again if offered one.

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company