Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Ratings: 1,763 |  Reviews: 246
4.38/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev +20.7%

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel may not be known for great beer but this is a really good porter, poured a great head,aroma and taste. Will be a go to for me in the winter months at the local bars.

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From notes taken 05/23/16:

This is a couple months past “expiration” but with the roastiness and fairly high ABV, I am not worried. As likely as not it has improved with age. On the other hand, much longer and it would start to go bad, since it is still less than the 7-8% threshold. Very dark brown but quite clear with reddish hues. Head is foamy, fine, a toasty, golden tannish-brown, and retains well after settling. Scattered legs. Dark fruit, mild roastiness, woodiness, alcohol on the nose, not so much vanilla. Roastiness is a little more overt on palate, with more dark fruit (plums, cherries), a little distinct alcohol, and then vanilla, but more in the background than other flavors. Just barely full-bodied, quite smooth with medium, fine, sudsy carbonation, slightly warming sides of tongues and mid-cheeks, chewy, mouth-coating, somewhat astringent. Underrated beer. To be sure, I am biased in the extreme toward dark beers, but I think faux-micro brewers like Leinie, and beers that defy style guidelines are biased against. Plus, mine was slightly aged.

3.49/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.36/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is my favorite beer from Linenkugel. I look forward to it every winter and usually buy a case.

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color of dark brown with orange highlights, minimal cap and no noticeable lacing.

Aroma of roast malt and vanilla with a hint of chocolate. It's a dryer sort of vanilla yet rich.

Taste is more vanilla forward than in the aroma. Roast malt butressed by something like molassas though it doesn't taste sweet. The flavor is good but just very simple, it's as if they designed something darkish, vanillaish, not dry but not sweet, a middle of the road brew for those who wish to dip their toes into murky beer waters.

Full texture that is rich and creamy.

At 6% it's not a gulpable Guinness yet it's in that league flavorwise, or so the resident Guinness fan tells me. It does have an undemanding, approachable flavor that should please my guests except for those with a finely honed ability to spot roasted grain bitterness and are turned off by it. I don't find much of that myself except for a tinge in the aftertaste. It does remind me of Wintertime and a cozy fireplace.

3.21/5  rDev -5%

3.13/5  rDev -7.4%

A porter that's a little too heavy on the vanilla. Gets less & less enjoyable towards the end.

2.77/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

2.67/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11/20/2012
LOOK: Dark Black Pour. Small Head.
SMELL: The faintest of Vanilla aromas.
TASTE: Not much vanilla or anything else in terms of flavor.
FEEL: Weak Carbonation. Light and a bit creamy. Not really a good porter, but easy enough to drink.

3.39/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a fairly good, enjoyable with a primary defect being that it is a bit too much on the sweet side, in addition to being fairly simple.

Deep red brown, almost black, with small pale tan head soon thinning to foamy ring.

Aroma is roasty prunes and coffee.

Taste is lightly sweet up front, then dryer but remaining on the sweet side. Dark raisins, mild coffee hint, light winy hint, finish of wet wood and vanilla beans. Feel is good and firm.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.84/5  rDev -16%

Today we pulled into Speedy's drive-thru and I asked for a case of my usual Yuengling Porter, delicious and inexpensive and local. The guy said, hey, we have a special on this other porter if you buy one case for $20 you get a second case free, because it's out of season (despite snow coming on Sunday). I was unfamiliar with this brewer Leinenkugel. I like Breckinridge Vanilla Porter but it's too expensive. So I bought this stuff and now have two cases of a beer I have never tried until this moment. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Well, look, I know we're not supposed to rate based on the price, and I didn't, but for 40 cents a bottle this stuff is great. Please do not pay much more than that. On the other hand, as a Minnesota friend said when I reported my transaction, Leinenkugel in general is "demotic" and great for "beerdration" while dancing. In other words, it is popular and sessionable. OK, the experience:
Poured from bottle into clean tulip glass.
Look: way too translucent for a porter. I like 'em black. It is a nice brawny (brown+tawny) color though. Piddling head.
Smell: I am not sure why there is a cherry smell in there.
Taste: Should this be called complex, or confused? It has many tastes - coffee, ashes, chocolate (all good); hint of vanilla (unimportant); cherry, cardboard (bad). I will reserve final judgment on the cardboard because the Yuengling, my usual at home, sometimes tastes cardboardy, sometimes not. I don't know if this is something that varies bottle to bottle, or depends on what I'd eaten previously, or what.
Feel: a little thin and fizzy. Still manages some creaminess, so it's not quite cola, but I understand why some reviewers here have said that.
Overall: My husband just walked upstairs and said, "I regret to inform you that despite our marriage vows, I am not going to be able to help you drink that beer." Damn.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company