Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Ratings: 1,774 |  Reviews: 250
3.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.67/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11/20/2012
LOOK: Dark Black Pour. Small Head.
SMELL: The faintest of Vanilla aromas.
TASTE: Not much vanilla or anything else in terms of flavor.
FEEL: Weak Carbonation. Light and a bit creamy. Not really a good porter, but easy enough to drink.

3.39/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a fairly good, enjoyable with a primary defect being that it is a bit too much on the sweet side, in addition to being fairly simple.

Deep red brown, almost black, with small pale tan head soon thinning to foamy ring.

Aroma is roasty prunes and coffee.

Taste is lightly sweet up front, then dryer but remaining on the sweet side. Dark raisins, mild coffee hint, light winy hint, finish of wet wood and vanilla beans. Feel is good and firm.

3.54/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.84/5  rDev -17%

Today we pulled into Speedy's drive-thru and I asked for a case of my usual Yuengling Porter, delicious and inexpensive and local. The guy said, hey, we have a special on this other porter if you buy one case for $20 you get a second case free, because it's out of season (despite snow coming on Sunday). I was unfamiliar with this brewer Leinenkugel. I like Breckinridge Vanilla Porter but it's too expensive. So I bought this stuff and now have two cases of a beer I have never tried until this moment. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Well, look, I know we're not supposed to rate based on the price, and I didn't, but for 40 cents a bottle this stuff is great. Please do not pay much more than that. On the other hand, as a Minnesota friend said when I reported my transaction, Leinenkugel in general is "demotic" and great for "beerdration" while dancing. In other words, it is popular and sessionable. OK, the experience:
Poured from bottle into clean tulip glass.
Look: way too translucent for a porter. I like 'em black. It is a nice brawny (brown+tawny) color though. Piddling head.
Smell: I am not sure why there is a cherry smell in there.
Taste: Should this be called complex, or confused? It has many tastes - coffee, ashes, chocolate (all good); hint of vanilla (unimportant); cherry, cardboard (bad). I will reserve final judgment on the cardboard because the Yuengling, my usual at home, sometimes tastes cardboardy, sometimes not. I don't know if this is something that varies bottle to bottle, or depends on what I'd eaten previously, or what.
Feel: a little thin and fizzy. Still manages some creaminess, so it's not quite cola, but I understand why some reviewers here have said that.
Overall: My husband just walked upstairs and said, "I regret to inform you that despite our marriage vows, I am not going to be able to help you drink that beer." Damn.

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is on special at a bar my wife and I go to trivia at most Tuesday's, and this bar has a very limited craft beer selection so I figured what the heck? Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a problem not glass, this beer pours a very dark amber/light brown color with deep ruby highlights. Has a slightly tan/off-white head that's half an inch thick when first poured that settles to a thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a big spot cluster of surface foam. Not too much lacing. Aromas of some roasted caramel malts along with bits of coffee and chocolate. Rounded out with a bit of hops. Has a fairly crisp, smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with a slightly clean and dry finish. An okay beer all around here.

3.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: very dark brown, head dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. Not opaque like most porters.

Smell: smells strongly of vanilla, much more so than most vanilla porters. Also some malt. I kind of enjoy the aroma.

Taste: also tastes strongly of vanilla, maybe a hint of coffee and/or chocolate.

Feel: smooth, not very carbonated, which is to be expected. Not bad but not great.

Overall: not as bad as people on here say, but not the best beer ever. I enjoyed it but wouldn't go out of my way for more.

4.95/5  rDev +44.7%

an excellent beer overall. Nice dark brown blackish color to it. Small to medium head. Taste of hops and chocolate and other. A great holiday beer and it goes down quite smoothly

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

I bought this in my search for a good vanilla beer. It's very light in smell and feel for a traditional porter. The flavor doesn't hit until it's almost swallowed. It's more on the sweet side but doesn't have a strong vanilla flavor. The malt flavors are noticed on the bottom and top rear sides of the tounge and give a traditional porter chocolate - coffee note taste. The sweeter flavor lasts at the back roof of the mouth and doesn't leave too strong of an after taste as porters go. I prefer IPAs but if you are looking into starting to like Porters this could be a good one to try as it's not as intense as others are.

I wish I could give this beer a -5. Since I love porters, I decided to try something new. Because of this beer I will never try anything new again. Tasted like soy sauce and vomit. A waste of money. We should have been paid to drink this, and if I had known how bad it was, I would have left the money and the beer and run. I wouldn't wish this beer upon my worst enemy. If I had to choose between drinking this beer once and eating an entire jar of mayonnaise for the rest of my life, I would choose mayonnaise gladly. DO NOT BUY unless someone is forcing you to at gunpoint. Warn your friends about this garbage.

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%