Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by tectactoe on 04-10-2013

By far more smooth than most shandys. First I liked Blue moon because you have the orange to offset the taste. Then I progressed to Shock top & now this is the ultimate orange beer. No orange needed and no harshness like with Blue moon. This is a must try seasonal beer that is perfect for the beach or anytime!

4.92/5  rDev +56.7%

Excellent Shandy for every season!

4.88/5  rDev +55.4%

Appearance: Completely unfiltered, orange-ish-yellow, but more towards yellow. Slightly off-white head; frothy at the top.

Aroma: Orange juice, with a slight note of grain. But really, if I didn't know it was beer, I'd probably just say orange juice.

Taste: Mainly oranges. But, towards the end of the middle of the taste, I get some mild grain and bread, with some white wheati-ness on the back of my tongue--in that order. Some bitterness from the carbonation is present, but no bitterness from the hops.

Finish: Semi-dry. Crisp, refreshing.

Overall: I approve.

4.64/5  rDev +47.8%

4.63/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I enjoyed this bear from a tap at a hotel restaurant in Shartelsville, PA. I had first requested a sample, since I didn't even know Leinenkugel even made an Orange Shandy. While I feel it's more of a late-spring or mid-summer drink, It has an appealing aroma and a strong taste of oranges. The color was more or less what I was expecting, given the only other beer with orange hints in it that I've had (and could taste) was Blue Moon. Whoever was in charge of the tap didn't leave a lot of room for a head, so I can't really go into detail on that.

It is a very smooth and surprisingly crisp beer for one released in the Fall, and I really enjoy beers like this. The hazy color seemed to blend perfectly into the spirit of fall, but the flavor seems out of place for the season. It's something- that if it really is only available this time of year- that I would advise hanging on to until spring. Other than that, it's a fantastic drink, and one I know I'll be having plenty more of.

4.62/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

Very orange in smell and taste, it doesn't even really taste like beer. It would be perfect for a hot summer day.

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company