Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by tectactoe on 04-10-2013

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

Not as good as I'd hoped considering how good the summer shandy is, but not terrible. It tastes a bit artificial and maybe a bit too bitter in the aftertaste. Not bad though.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

Served from tap in a mug at Hooters - Schaumburg.

Being unable to find an individual bottle or can of this stuff for a couple years now, imagine my happy surprise to find this on tap during my first visit to a Hooters (thanks, by the way, to my man VDubb and his lovely wife). It pours a cloudy brass-amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises straight Creamsicle undercut by a bit of wet wheat. The taste leads with the wheat (now less wet), then proceeds into some orange wedge, and then a bit of coriander. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this was definitely a step up from the sadness that is Summer Shandy (however little that actually says), but it falls a bit short for me in terms of full enjoyment. It's not bad, but nothing I feel like trying again any time soon.

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

3.92/5  rDev +26%

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: orange - yellow, typical wheat beer color
Smell: smells of orange juice with a bit of a wheat/yeast smell
Taste: tastes like I poured orange juice into a beer (fairly straight forward)
Mouth feel: very creamy. Sticks around for a bit
Overall: I liked their summer shandy but this edges it out. Great light flavor for the summer time. Could definitely drink a few of these relaxing outside. Would definitely pick up again

3.9/5  rDev +25.4%

I had pretty low expectations for this brew. It surprised me. While it was artificially sweet, I actually enjoyed the orange shandy. It can be overpowering with orange flavoring but overall, not bad.

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance (4.25) : A hazy, richly opaque pineapple-orange colored body. Almost 100% opacity. Impressive. The head is a tightly woven three fingered creamy, creamy head with thick licks of lacing remaining, as it recedes at a slow pace.

Aroma (3.25) : This is basically what I'd smell if I mixed orange juice and beer. Very orange-y, but with a slight malt skunk behind it. The malt and grains are definitely present, but are a bit odious. Some whiffs of lemon come out too as the head recedes. I don't know if I can attribute that to hops or just added citrus rinds in the vat.

Taste (3.25) : Smooth, mildly offensive, but overall easily drinkable. It's got malt character up front, mixed with orange flesh. Halfway through, the frothy orange juice sets in and makes its presence known as it exits the back of your throat. What ultimately ruins the taste is the presence of the malty skunk. It's faint, but it's there.

Mouthfeel (4) : Like a whipped, frothy orange julius. I think the mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. It's creamy, very accessible, and easy to drink. I'd have this one on a hot day, no problem.

Overall (3.64) : Much better than their Summer Shandy. All in all it's a capable beer and worthy of a try. I wouldn't have a problem grabbing more of these for a hot day in the sun or in the shade.

4.2/5  rDev +35%