Big Eddy Ryewine Ale | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerFMAndy on 05-26-2013

3.8

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

There's not much I can say about this, but WOW. Who knew that combining rye and the barleywine style would be the best idea that anyone this century has had. There is a robust flavour at the forefront with hugely sweet malty overtones. It is the perfect blend of robust rye and pure sugary sweetness, with a wonderful tinge of alcohol to it. Honestly, the bitterness of the rye and the sweetness cover up the alcohol just a bit too much. That is my only complaint. The body is wonderful. It's thin considering the flavour, but has some body to it. Just enough, I'd say. The finish is all smoke. I don't know if some of the malt is actually smoked or if it's the rye giving it that effect, but damn, if it doesn't taste smoked. Simply amazing. I will be buying more of this. No question.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

It may be retired (my bottle is dated 2013), but when we saw this on the shelf during a recent foray, I suggested that my friend buy it! He was kind enough to gift me a bottle & since 2017 approacheth, no time like the present.

From the ancient bottle: "A rare blend of rye malts gives a spicy complexity to a brew with the unforgettable depth of an American barleywine ale."; "Our Brewery was born on the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa, Wisconsin[.] Its waters guiding us through five generations of genuine brewing heritage."

Upon Pop!ping the cap, I noted some crystals around the mouth. Caramelization? Oxidation? We shall see. A booziness began to waft forth, though, even before the pour. I employed a very gentle pour so as not to Rousey (loser!) any lees that may have formed in the interim since this beer's bottling. I noticed that some foaming had come up in the neck, so I was even more cautious than usual. It seemed to come out in a clot, so I poured maybe a quarter of it and then set it back down to re-settle. I only had wisps for head and even a vigorous in-glass swirl would not raise anything more than that. Color was a hazy Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27, but closer to 27) & I want to see if it clarifies with some wait time. Nose smelled like whisky with a woodiness and a booziness that just seemed to beckon me forth. Mouthfeel was big, full & thick, kind of like one of my exes. The taste was initially oaky with caramel undertones, but then I also got some leather, dried dark fruits, and a light peppery spiciness from the rye. Phew! This was unquestionably a sipper. I liked getting a dram or so in my mouth and just letting it roll around on my tongue. The caramel flavor really began to assert itself, but it was actually more towards toffee (not quite burnt) than caramel. I have shared before about my youthful (high school) desire to become a cook, but I HATE making candy! Especially hard candies. That s**t is molten and dangerous as heck to make. The smell in the HomeEc lab when we made peppermints was fantastic, but pouring it into molds left all of us shaking. Have you ever seen the scale on a candy thermometer? Ugh. Best left to the professionals. Back to the beer. Second pour. Clarity has only slightly increased, although I got a brief finger of soapy, light tan head this time, vice wisps. The leatheriness is becoming more potent as I now get it both on the nose and in the mouth. The mouthfeel remains like a dollop on my tongue. It would be daring to drink it in a quick swallow. Toffee? Butterscotch? NOT diacetyl, however! Finish was dry, very liquor-like, with a slight astringency from the rye. It acted kind of like a pepperiness in the back of the throat. Another memory: when I was assigned to the Auxiliary Security Force (ASF) on NAS Alameda, CA back in 1988, I was not happy about becoming a cop. I was even unhappier when the only way that we could be issued pepper spray was to have it sprayed on us first. Man, that stuff burns like fire! They told us to close our eyes and clamp our mouths shut, but I either inhaled some or it dripped into my mouth. This beer was nothing that intense, but it did have the power to conjure up the memory. Oof. Final thoughts as I ready the lees for consumption: What a shame that it is out of production! I really need to read some of the early reviews for (perhaps) a clue. It was a really lucky find on our part. It has held up extremely well. Time to assign some rating scores.

4.26/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10% ABV, 2013,

A - Beautiful crimson amber in color this barleywine has nice clarity despite it's darker appearance and is topped by a densely packed, cascading khaki head. Thin, sticky lace coats the whole glass as the foam subsides.

S - Subtle and malty, this latest addition to the Big Eddy series flourishes with deep complexity. Sweetness abounds but doesn't intrude with toffee and caramel notes easing into rye spice attributes that don't become sharp. Cocoa merges well with the earthy undertones of hops along the back end but the aroma is a somewhat closed one.

T - Ryewine's depth continues into the flavor, opening up more nuances as it progresses and warms. Toffee takes a back seat to a subtle dark fruity character that goes well with smooth caramel and notes of milk chocolate. Spicy rye adds a touch of bite to the smooth flavor but it doesn't seem as showcased as the sweeter malt. Alcohol and hops are nowhere to be found in this brew's velvety flavor.

M - Moderate carbonation adds nice dimension to this soft and smooth, medium-full bodied brew. It's sweetness is balanced incredibly well by the use of hops which play no role in flavor as this mildly dry beer but are integral nonetheless. The disappearing finish is a mystery considering the inclusion of 10% ABV!

O - Like the other Big Eddy series beers, this barleywine is extremely drinkable, shying away from it's boastful ABV for a smooth and drinkable malty treat. It might be labeled as an American Barleywine but this beer has no hop interaction beyond pure balance. It's no flaw, but the lower level of rye, which adds nice spice, could be elevated and showcased a little more. Big, flavorful, and smooth, Ryewine Ale is another solid offering from Leinenkugel's!

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Ryewine Ale has a thin-to-medium beige head, a semi-clear, red-brown (amber) appearance, some visible bubble streams, no sediment, and minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is of rich bread, cream sherry, sweetness, caramel, and nougat. Flavor is of those elements, a little metal (sadly), some alcohol, and toffee. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick, and Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Ryewine finishes semi-dry, surprisingly refreshing, and easily drinkable. Very little alcohol detected in this booze bomb. Overall, this is most excellent.

RJT

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best before 4/5/2014. Pours crystal clear deep ruby red color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big raisin, prune, pear, apple, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, toast, rye, brown bread, nuttiness, light chocolate, floral, and toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good complexity and balance of malt and dark fruit notes; with good strength. Taste of big raisin, prune, pear, caramel, apple, brown sugar, toast, toffee, brown bread, rye, nuttiness, light chocolate, floral, and toasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark/light fruits, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, toast, rye, nuttiness, floral, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity and balance of dark/toasted malt and fruity ester flavors; with big robustness and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and full bodied; with a very creamy, slick, and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome barleywine style. All around great complexity and balance of flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed from a 12 oz bottle in a Liefmans snifter. This most excellent ale pours a hazy orangeish red with a 1/2 inch layer of foam with GREAT retention and beautiful soapy lacing. Nose of figs, nicely roasted caramel, raisins, and herbal grain spiciness. Flavors are sweet to the front, spicy rye to the sides, and a blend of figs, raisins, and sweet malts to the back with a lingering sweet aftertaste of fig like jam. Mild carbonation makes this one a fine sipper and a great addition to the Big Eddy family. Most excellent.

Cheers