Hoppin' Helles | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Liked:
3.17/5
Alströms:

4.37/5  rDev +37.9%

It was during my first visit to Wisco, specifically, Mad City, to visit my Navy buddy, Hoos Warner, that I was exposed to Leinie. I love their beers and now thanks to their improved accessibility, I am drinking them at Chez Woody in Lancaster, PA.

From the bottle: "Hop-forward Helles-style beer brewed with five American hops."; "Brewed With Pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully Brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for Five Generations".

I do not know how to precisely quantify this, but upon removing the cap, it smelled like beer! My excitedly aggro pour created two fingers of puffy, bone white head that resembled to top of a vanilla ice cream cone. The nose was both grassy from the hops and biscuity from the malt and it put me in mind of some of my earliest beer drinking. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow (SRM = 4) with NE-quality clarity. The unholy trio of Mammon, King Midas and Croesus were suddenly in front of me, clamoring for a sip, but that privilege was mine, all mine! Mouthfeel was soft and it makes me wonder about their water in Wisco. Their beers all have that same softness, which I really like. It makes for great "drinkability" and I wish that they would put more of the Leinie line in CANs. The taste was grassy, minty, definitely hoppy, but not confrontationally hopped. This was more like maintenance drinking for this self-avowed hophead. Finish was semi-dry and very satisfying. What a great recent find in one of my local bottle shops!

4.25/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear yellow gold color with a small white head. The aroma is hops and wheat. The taste matches the aroma. Overall, this is a very nice brew.

Hoppin' Helles from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company