Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Highway 22 Wheat Beer | Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company

Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
marzonis.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

An unfiltered American-style wheat, this light-bodied beer pours a hazy yellow and is pleasantly tart with hints of citrus in the finish. Great with or without the lemon.

Added by santoslhalper on 12-11-2004

Reviews by RBorsato:

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Hazy yellow with a thin white head.

Smell: Light fruity notes with a hints of grassy notes.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth light bodied. Wheat and grassy notes with a hint of sweetness.

Overall: Good beer, refreshing. I would have it again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Fresh from the Growler!

Appearence: Pours a hazy straw color with a thin white head. Less than I'd hoped for from a hefe. Leaves a little spotty lacing.

Smell: A decent smell at best. Not much of a smell, but what's there is grain with hints of citrus and fruits. But mostly grain.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Tastes great, with mostly grains and fruits. A light grassy hop presence is there, rounding it off very well. Feels nice and smooth in the mouth without being light. Very good.

Drinkability and Overall: One of my favorites that I got at Marzoni's. Definitly their session brew. Tasty, full, and well rounded. So good I brought home a growler of it (and it's almost gone). Well done.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +10%

A press junket took me up to their Selinsgrove location where a mixed-six was conferred on each attendee as part of the outing. I know that The Bros. Alstrom like transparency in such matters & I have nothing to hide. I have known brewer Bill Kroft for years & Bill knows that I am equitable in my reviews.

Man, I wish that they would make the leap to CANs! Marzoni's fills what could be a gaping void in south-central PA & the fact that they have begun bottling is a step in the right direction, but there are so many outdoors activities out that way that CANs would be a natural fit.

If it must be a bottle, at least let it be a standard bevel with a crown cap that Pop!s when I open it. I decided to live a little with this one and give it an aggro our since a Wheat Ale is allowed to have a cloudy-haziness. It worked better than I had expected as it created two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head that slowly fell, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a downright cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) and I would like to hazard a guess that it is unfiltered. I am actually in favor of low or non-existent filtration as it strips flavor from the beer. Nose had a lemony tang and my lips actually puckered a little upon smelling it. Mouthfeel was medium, much fuller than the previous two from Marzoni's, making it a nice change of pace. The taste was very tart, very lemony, but also kind of biscuity, putting me in mind of either lemon tarts or lemon biscotti, both of which are about as sweet as I prefer, which is to say, not very. Finish was tart, dry and lemony, but not terribly puckering. I postulated about them perhaps CANning some of their beers & I think that this one would be an excellent CANdidate, especially on a hot, humid summer evening.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I was expecting a little more from this brew. Color is the usual cloudy yellow. My glass came with about a 1/4 of an inch head which disappeared fast.

Both smell and taste was altered by a lemon wedge that come perched on top of my brew when it arrived. I tasted the lemon for pretty much the entire beer.

Overall though, the beer was quite yummy and drinkable. It would definitely make a nice session beer since the taste is very smooth and refreshing.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This would have scored higher on look and smell if it hadn't been garnished with a not-quite-fresh lemon slice. The beer itself was cloudy and more like a hefeweizen than a pale wheat ale.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Had this in a 6 oz sample size as "Wildwood Wheat" at the Allison Park, PA location, but I believe this is the same beer.

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a thin white head.

Smell: Not much here. A little yeasty with minor fruity undertones.

Taste: Lightly tart with some yeastiness and mild bitter finish. Overall, rather clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel: Light and clean, nothing offensive.

Drinkability: Goes down nicely, pleasantly refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%