Saison | Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company

Added by beergeek279 on 03-17-2005

Reviews by RBorsato:

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence: Pours a nice clear gold with near-sparkling carbonation. The head is about 1 1/2 fingers, and clings nicely.

Smell: The smell is fruity, spicy, and peppery. I'm getting some wheat and farmhouse aromas as well.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very rich and full-bodied. Immediately spicy with with grain, farmhouse flavors abounding. Good complexity with an incredibly satisfying finish. Well balanced. The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Excellent. Bill Kroft nailed it with this one. Very much like a Saison DuPont, less like a Fantome. Very calm yet complex flavors with abundant drinkability make this a wonderful beer.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

I must confess that Saisons are not my favorite style but I have had enough to know what I am looking for and I found this one to be decent and about average. It does take a very good Saison to impress me and this one really did not. It is not bad at all just not exceptional with in the style.
Appearance: Clear gold with lots of carbonation.
Smell: Typical spicy farmhouse aroma.
Taste: Sweet and tart with spicy pepper flavor.
Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy.
Drinkability: If you like the style I guess it'll suit. I liked it better than Rogue Festivale but not quite as much as Yards Saison, to give it a relative perspective.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Served from a Marzoni's growler into a Hennepin saison glass. The color is a dark golden, with a dissipating white head and a lingering ring. The smell is a strong tangy, slightly estery one. The taste has a bit of a candi sugar sweetness, very strongly tart and a bit of the horse blanket-ish flavor....all of which add to a very interesting saison. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, this is a very interesting one with a lot of nicely mixed flavors and I'd enjoy a few of these.

I'm a big fan of the absolutely bizarre saison, epitomized by Fantome. While this doesn't quite reach that plateau (then again, what does?), this is a very nice try with some good flavors, and with a little bit of work this could be a really great beer in such an out of the way little area. Enjoyable, and one I'd enjoy seeing when Hoss's starts to distribute the beers outwards.

Saison from Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company