Buffalo Beer | Alley Kat Brewing Company

3.8/5
Alströms:

Reviews by IronDjinn:
3.67/5  rDev 0%

Haven't seen this stuff around for quite a while, picked it up at the Chateau Louis and I have a feeling it's only being distributed in Edmonton these days. I missed that cartoony buffalo on a highway sign logo on the label. Pours out a hazed copper with very little head. Aroma contains rich sweet caramel malt, what seems like sweet orange peel, and floral hops. Flavour is well balanced between malt and hop, neither overpowers the other, and I'm picking up the faintest trace of coriander in the middle. Initial mouthfeel is a little watery, but finishes more full. Very smooth all around, it is somewhat average, but would make a fine session beer as the flavour grows on me the more I sip it. Hopefully Alley Kat will be shipping more down to Cowtown in the future so I don't have to make the road trip for it.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Egads, not enough Alley Kat reviews. I haven't had a Buffalo in a while so decided to grab one with lunch.

Appearance: Nice deep reddish brown, with an absolutely awesome, creamy head. Took a bit to go down, and left pretty lacing.

Smell: Caramel, caramel, caramel - and then hops, a LOT of hops as well. There's something else there as well, and I just couldn't put my finger on it. A spice of some sort.

Taste: Not an exceedingly complex beer, but I really enjoyed this one. A full-bodied,caramel flavour starts it off, which would be cloying if not for the ass kicking, spicy hops in the finish. Again, there's something else there, but I just can't put my finger on it. Both flavours are strong, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Hm. Good body, I like the carbonation... but not enough for me to rate it -good-. Above average it is.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable! The hops sort of beat up my palatte, but this isn't a bad thing. Went down easy, and I could easily make a session out of this.

Notes: I'm going to make it a mission to get reviews for all of Alley Kat's stuff up here, as they're the only local microbrewery in Edmonton I really know of. This was a pretty damn good lager, I wouldn't rate it amazing, or rant about it or anything... but I'll definitely buy it again.

Buffalo Beer from Alley Kat Brewing Company