Aprikat | Alley Kat Brewing Company

Alley Kat Brewing Company
Alberta, Canada
alleykatbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Aprikat, is an apricot flavored beer with a filtered wheat ale base -a North American twist on the traditional German style wheat ales Alley Kat’s style of wheat ale is brewed with 50% wheat, but fermented with our regular ale yeast. The result is a light, crisp ale with the fresh aroma and flavour of apricots substituted for the bananna and clove accents of a German wheat beer.

Aprikat’s subtle apricot aroma contrasts nicely with it’s big fruity mouthfeel. The beer pours a nice straw colour and its medium carbonation keeps it light and refreshing, perfect for a hot day on the patio or as an after dinner drink.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2003

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Orangish golden apperance with light head but decent lace. Smell is mainly orange and apricot with an assortment of other fruits (mangos, apples, etc.). Very sweet.

Taste is similar to the smell, but suprisingly lighter. Mainly apricot and apples along with vague tastes of other fruits. Picked up a hint of wheat and sweetness. Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Has a lingering mango taste at the end.

Overall this beer is a good take on fruit beers First impressions was that this would be a thicker beer, but it's refreshing and inoffensive. Worth a try.

3.94/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New label and 6 pack box, sans kats, gold label and 'beer cooler' predominate on the package.
Pours out of the brown bottle a bright clear orange color. Hard to coax even a small head out of the pour. The short and quickly disappearing foam seemed to be a pinkinsh orange hue. There are full smells of apricot, peaches and mangos coming out. Just a touch of yeasty/wheat aroma keep it from being overly sweet. Well balanced flavor, it is definatley a fruit beer, but not super sweet or sticky like a wine cooler. The apricot and peach flavor is well pronounced, but there is still enough 'beer' flavor to keep things in check. Medium carbonation keeps it light and refreshing, perfect for a hot day on the patio. Very well done

3.94/5  rDev +21.2%

On-tap at Mango Shiva (Calgary, AB). Served in an AlleyKat Lager glass.

Visual (3): Golden hue, modest clarity, very good lacing off the start. Little to no visible carbonation. Off-white single finger head quickly dissipates into a thin film.

Aroma (4): Sweet, fruity smell with the apricot present and dominating. Not overpowering though. Hints of raisen and plum. No real hops or yeast smell. Contributes to the taste.

Taste (4): Sweetness throughout. Initial taste is light on any fruit flavour, but the ends hits with apricot and plum flavours. The taste has a medium lasting quality. Exactly what I would expect from a fruit beer.

Mouthfeel (4): Wonderfully creamy mouthfeel with almost no hint of carbonation. Has enough of an alcoholic feel to avoid tasting like fruit juice. Mouthfeel lightly lingers

Overall (4): A very good fruit beer that has really improved since the first time I tried it a few years ago (3 or so?). My only slight knock is the lack of real "beer" flavours, yet it is nicely compensated by the touch of alcohol. True to the style, with a great smell and an original flavour.

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

All new labelling as of 2005. The labels says "wheat ale," which I never knew before. Described as a "beer cooler" by Alley Kat. I poured it into a tulip shaped glass and watched the enamel-white head disappear quite quickly into a spotty fizzy topping on the almost lemonade/grapefruit coloured beer. I do not remember the beer ever being this cloudy before. It is very hazy, and yes, judging by the bottom of the bottle, this beer is unfiltered. Has this beer always been this way? Maybe it has been far too long since I have tried Aprikat. In the aroma I get some almost lambic, wild yeasty smells. The apricot is there, but not overly, along with strong mint aromas, or like flavoured iced tea. Yes, raspberry iced tea, definitely. Refreshing wheat malt along with sugary candy. The yeast is adding a whole other nuance to the aroma though, and I cannot say for certain, but this beer may be new and improved since I last tried it. The yeast gives some almost Belgian-style aroma to it. Much better than I remember. The taste is quite tart at first, again giving flavoured iced tea tastes, but by the finish the wheat malt adds an appetising bready taste that is quite delectable. The apricot is pronounced, as is a touch of grapefruit and mint. In the middle is the sugary sourness that reminds me of kriek. The taste is light, as it is meant to be, and the mouthfeel is thin but reviving, again, as it is meant to be for this style. Medium carbonation. I do not find them overly sugary at all, and this was perfect after a hot day--a beer I could consume happily all afternoon. Great drinkability. This is certainly better than the last time I tried it. Next time I see it in six-packs, I will pick it up.

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite literally the first craft beer I had ever tried (at the time). An old ex's sister's boyfriend (that's a mouthfull) brought a six-pack for us to try, and it was like nothing I had ever tried before.
I'll judge the beer from my notes, and in comparision to the many fruit beer's I've subsequently tried. This beer would hold a special place in my heart, if it weren't for the fact that I hate apricots, and I'm not especially fond of fruit beers. Despite all of that, this is a really nice fruit beer, particulary on the nose. I found it to finish with a bit of a bitterness, although this could quite easily be my dislike for apricots.
If you're a fan of fruit beers, and particularily apriocts, Aprikat is a no brainer.

3.69/5  rDev +13.5%

3.57/5  rDev +9.8%

341ml bottle poured into 400ml DAB glass nov11 2009

A clear golden color with a fast falling two finger head that leaves no lace

S smells like apricot and not much else

T see above

M fairly light with decent carbonation

D if you like apricot like I do you will have few problems with this beer. I doubt this is made with real apricot but I liked it overall either way

worth trying if you like fruity beer, but I can't help thinking this is a "girlie beer"(sorry for discriminating towards all you female BA's) but that's what I think of it

3.52/5  rDev +8.3%

Enjoyed many times on tap and in bottles, but never took the time to scrutinize it
A - crystal clear golden, small covering of head dissipated to a few random islands and a thin lace ring
S - strong aroma of sweet juicy apricots, light grainy malt and a hint of leafy hops
T - tangy and sweet apricot dominates, leafy hops and pale bready malt, nothing fancy but it hits the intended mark
M - light and well carbonated, tangy sweet feel with mild dryness
O - a great summertime patio drink, its heavy on the fruit but it doesn't take away from its beerness

3.52/5  rDev +8.3%

A- The coloring is mainly orange, with maybe a touch of amber around the edging. The head starts out foamy and thick, yet it manages to fairly quickly drop off to a half ring around the glass. Lots of carbonation rises to the top in a fast motion. Lacing is modest at best...not much else to say about it. Overall not a stand out looking beer, but it doesn't look bad.

S- Sweet malts and apricot flesh dominate the aroma. Possibly a tad on the syrupy/phony side of things, the fruit just seems a bit too strong and sweet to not have some flavoring added, but it isn't offensive. The middle is a little reminding of biscuit followed by a slightly dry, but not bitter finish.

T- More of the same here, but the apricot isn't as sweet....tastes a bit more like the pit was used in the boil as well. Malt sweetness is still there but also not as pronounced. The finish is once again, slightly dry, but definitely there is not any hint of hops used here.

M- Solid medium-ish body and maybe a bit cloying, as noticed by swirling this around the glass. As this warms up a bit, the carbonation goes from zesty and plentiful, to zesty, yet fine. The beer really shows off the essence of apricot fruit well.

D- I really liked this when I was first introduced to it, but have since tried another apricot based wheat beer by Pyramid, and this is definitely second to it. I think this has become a little too sweet for me, but I still like it. This is the perfect beer to start out with for the crowd still sucking back sugary vodka/rum coolers....also is great on a hot summer day. I made one of my cats try this and he didn't like it unfortunately...I'd have a couple bottles of this under the right circumstances, otherwise one is enough!

Aprikat from Alley Kat Brewing Company