Pigs Ass Porter | Harvest Moon Brewery

Harvest Moon Brewery
Montana, United States
harvestmoonbrew.com

Style: English Porter

First brewed by Harvest Moon in 1997, this beer is a multiple award-winning dark ale brewed in the Burton, England style owing to the similarity of water chemistry in Belt compared to this classic porter producing area in England. Plenty of body without a sharp bite, this ale is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts to create a creamy, smooth, roasted, slightly chocolate tasting ale with a touch of hops in the finish. This ale can be enjoyed in every season and is best when served cool, not cold. And why the name? While drinking this new brew one evening back in 1997, the local hog farmer showed up to collect our spent mash and we that what could be better for fattening pigs?

Added by rebel1771 on 10-10-2003

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.69/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding, I look for this porter on tap each time I'm in Montana.

4.52/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked this gem up fresh in Montana. If you like good porters then this one is a must try.

4.46/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer will make you stand up and take notice. My favorite style of beer, and this porter does not disappoint. Dark black in the glass, but a warming ruby-red glow when you hold it up to the light. Smell: malty and hopy. Taste: Smokey full flavor, with a terrific aftertaste. I love porters, have tried many and this is the best I've had. You must try this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, served cool as suggested. Poured a very deep burgundy with a frothy tight 1" head. The head slowly withered, aromas of caramel, and dark chocolate along with sweet malts. Lightly sweetened coffee comes to mind in much of the taste. Very smooth finish with that hint of dark chocolate almost like a toffee. OK mouthfeel but very drinkable. First brew i have tried from Harvest Moon, I am new to the world of micro brews but this is surely one of the most interesting taste combinations I have found in a beer.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a nearly jet black with a big fluffy off white head that hangs around a while.

S: Heavy roasted coffee aroma with a hint of milk chocolate.

T: Very smooth coffee flavor mixed with beautiful chocolate notes make this one damn fine brew.

D: This beer is pretty awesome, although it's almost more like a stout than a porter. Anyway very tasty and a good drink.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

This was a real treat, enjoyed a long way from the brewery. Thanks to a true beer lover for hauling a growler all the way to Japan!
It pours dark, almost black, with hints of red, and a light brown, loose foamy head.
The smell is intense, a combination of smoked gouda cheese and good bacon, balanced by a dark chocolate malt. The flavour is great, with smoked cheese again, and the dark roasted malt. There was also a hint of fresh cut hay at first, which faded a few minutes after the pour.
The mouthfeel was good, solid without being heavy.
This was a very good beer. I hope I get the chance to enjoy it again.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solid Solid like a rock. For some reason reminds me of bully porter by boulevard. One of the better options up montucky way for a porter so maybe my score is biased because big fish small pond like hot buttered soul on the radio

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I am going to start with my negative, lest it get lost in this review... I was expecting something more like a Storm King because I was under the illusion that the ABV was higher... And yet it is quite OK I didn't get it. Storm King is a stout... um, pigass -- PORTER... So...

Appearance in a beer almost never seems to me to be able to make the 5.0... I mean what level of coloration can you reward when you are dealing with so many levels of brown? I think when my eyes start feeling dreamy, that is a 5.0. This looks good. It isn't stout pitch and seems quite to style. It wont give me an orgasm looking at it, but I cant think of a beer that would...

The aroma is rich and malty. Unlike some beers that taste decent and smell like a warm shoe, this smells more like something you'd want to drink.

Taste... I wanted to just give this a 5. But then I think of all the wonderful big beers with big flavor that have the kind of ABV i thought this had, and this doesn't head up. It is good! but I think the rich aroma is better than the flavor result in this case. It seems right for the style... and then I get torn. Right for the style, could be richer in flavor, but nicely balanced to deflect the ABV. But then I was wrong about the ABV.

It is a thinner beer, not like one of your big-mouth-beefies. Again, I think close to style and perhaps a little restrained by the high ABV. A pleasant roll on the molars.

Intangibles creep in to seal the deal... this $7 6-pack with no hint of the ABV on the label comes across much more like a $12 6-pack where I sit... partially looking a little silly at the review I am writing 2/3 the way in. If this were on tap on a nitro, I think i would order one IV to go. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty damned good and certainly worth a flier on a cooler spring day where you aren't looking for some pussy-whipped wheat to quell the heat. If your having a little trouble sleeping, it might be just the ticket... but SHARE the 6-pack...

But then I went to the place where they made it. The ABV was more like 6%. Well, that is to style. It explains the lighter mouth feel... the lesser vibrato in taste. it does not change these things, it EXPLAINS them. But adding up what I had in my mouth and how much I think it is outstanding, and how it should have a good rating TO STYLE... this one ranks...

Nice job from this brewery. if you don't like this, you are liking boring beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Pigs ass porter

Very dark brown. If there are ruby highlights, I don't see 'em. Head faded very quickly but left a slight bubbly ring.

Nose is toasted toffee and mild caramel.

Good flavor, nice porter. Toasty malty goodness. Not at all creamy. I get bloody tired of breweries making stouts and calling them porters, this is a porter. A good porter.

Mouth feel is excellent. Smooth and even with a clean toasted finish.

Overall this is a fine porter. Worth drinking and having more on hand.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

There is a dark, almost opaque coffee color to it with just a touch of ruby highlights. When poured into a glass, a very thin light tan head forms. It fades quickly to a film at the top of the glass. There is no lacing what so ever on the side of the glass.

The scent is a complex mixture of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts. There is a slight smoky scent that rounds it out. The taste is much like the flavor. Dark chocolate malts and a bitter burnt roasted coffee flavor are most prominent. There is also some smokiness to that rounds it off. There is barely a discernable aftertaste. It has a well balance flavor.

This is a light bodied beer, lighter than what I'm used to in a Porter. It's also has a heavier carbonation that I would expect.

This is a good porter. I really enjoyed it. It is very easy to drink and if it is drank at the suggested temperatures of 46 to 48 degrees. I could see myself actually seeking this porter out, it's probably one of the better ones I've had in a while.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Had on tap at Many Glacier Hotel in GNP.

This is one hell of a porter. Great light brown head, nice thickness and subsequent lacing proves this was not timid by any stretch.

Great caramel notes and a bit of coffee but nothing over the top, very well balanced with a bit of hop. Pretty substantial stuff, not unlike a stout.

Seek this out if in MT and dig porters.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

a real good porter. pours dark with a sturdy tan head. nose is unsweetened chocolate and big dark roasted malts. mouthfeel is lighter than other porters, adding a drinkability factor here. taste a little bitter hops in the background, but big bold dark flavors dominate. funny artwork on the bottle too, a nice treat from MT

4.14/5  rDev +8.1%