Pigs Ass Porter | Harvest Moon Brewery

Pigs Ass PorterPigs Ass Porter

Harvest Moon Brewery
Montana, United States | website

Style: English Porter

First brewed by Harvest Moon in 1997, this beer is a multiple award-winning dark ale brewed in the Burton, England style owing to the similarity of water chemistry in Belt compared to this classic porter producing area in England. Plenty of body without a sharp bite, this ale is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts to create a creamy, smooth, roasted, slightly chocolate tasting ale with a touch of hops in the finish. This ale can be enjoyed in every season and is best when served cool, not cold. And why the name? While drinking this new brew one evening back in 1997, the local hog farmer showed up to collect our spent mash and we that what could be better for fattening pigs?

Added by rebel1771 on 10-10-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 42 | Ratings: 122

This was a great extra in a super trade with a77cj7.. Thanks a bunch Chris... I've had the beer dozens of times over the years and sent out growlers and many of 12'ers as extras, but somehow, I've never reviewed it. Cool stuff.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet.... good 1" tan head.. nice lacing and cap atop a dark dark brown brew.

Dark malts.. minor dark fruits.. some descent cocoa and restrained dark malts... tastes "brown".. Reminds me of Anchor porter.

Thanks again Chris... You're a super trader... very recommended... Hook him up if you get a chance.

4/4/4/4/4

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle, a straggler from the Great U.S. Supermarket Cooler Border Run of 2010. I would probably have grabbed this anyways, but the name sure as hell didn't hurt.

This beer pours a clear, very dark reddish brown cola hue, with three fingers of thickly foamy, and somewhat chunky beige head, which falls away unevenly, leaving some dense, broadly webbed lace around the glass.

It smells of floral, haystack-esque hops, over a mildly toasted caramel malt base, with some subtle dry cocoa and day-old coffee notes. The taste is bittersweet milk chocolate, biscuity caramel malt, dry coffee beans, a hint of black licorice, and light citrusy, floral hops.

The carbonation is quite mild, just a lilting frothiness, the body medium-heavy in weight, smooth, and silky in its pleasant as the day is long creaminess. It finishes off-dry, the baker's chocolate and bready caramel malt still most evident.

A nice, generally balanced new-world take on the old-world porter - tasty, and it goes down easy as pie. If 'in a pig's eye' means unbelievable, then 'Pig's Ass' should then lend credence to this particular, um, 'rural' brewery's prowess.

2.87/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into Sam Adams' lager glass; head was pronounced, but short lived (note: I had sampled a beer previously in this glass but rinsed); color was dark brown, with a hint of charcoal gray; the smell was somewhat sour and, frankly, not appetizing; the taste reminded me of tobacco, i.e. as if I were smoking a mild cigar, and had few hints of sweetness. I can't recall a Porter that was more disappointing than this one.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A 12 oz. bottle, brought back from a recent Yellowstone trip by my buddy, Bryce. Poured to a pint glass. Wish my bottle (and I) enjoyed a pastoral setting like the one pictured above...alas I sit at the kitchen table after a day spent installing a storage system in the garage/studio.

Pigs Ass (my first from Harvest Moon) label: a pub-gathering of tankard-hoisting, top hat and waistcoat-wearing PIGS! And sans pants! Ha, I see their ASSES! :) 'An Original London-Style Porter', notched at Best Before 'J'(anuary), '11'. A cute little sticker on the neck reads 'Made in Montana USA'.

A: Dark, dark mahogany but a rosier shade when held to light (with plenty of rising carbonation). A solid lid of creamy eggshell froth, not quite a finger-high, then falling to a lumpy sheen. Good lace in speckled bands.

S: A lightly roasted coffee and vague fudge, not a very strong aroma but sweet and appealing. A hint of smoke.

T: A roasted sweetness that screams (squeals?) 'London Porter': traces of licorice amidst semi-sweet chocolate and a sugared coffee, earthy berry. Big flavor, lasting char and chocolate bitterness.

M: Exceedingly smooth, if just a little light in body. Fine carbonation, a cooling and calming mouthfeel.

D: A 'session' porter that's beauty lies in its subtlety. Hops/bitterness won't bonk you over the head - spice and sweet malt hold a pleasant balance. An unlisted ABV, but I'm guessing no more than 5.5%, which makes it worthy of seconds (or thirds) in my book (Londoners might disagree). Sadly, a single bottle made the journey...I'd gladly have more.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Had on tap at Many Glacier Hotel in GNP.

This is one hell of a porter. Great light brown head, nice thickness and subsequent lacing proves this was not timid by any stretch.

Great caramel notes and a bit of coffee but nothing over the top, very well balanced with a bit of hop. Pretty substantial stuff, not unlike a stout.

Seek this out if in MT and dig porters.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

This is a classic looking Porter, dark brown with amber-ish hues and a thick, tan colored head with nice 'n slow dissipation.

The aroma is a very earthy dark malt aroma, plenty of roastie herbals and dark wheat, the malt is dark but slightly sweet vanilla smell too. Right on.

The balance of this Porter is really nice, earthy, herbal, dry and crisp hop and yeast combo with all the right dark-wheat maltiness you might want. It also has a very nice complexity with light vanilla sweetness and oats to make a hearty blend for sure.

The feel is nearly full, but very approachable because it's not super hefty and thick (which I like even more). The finish is long and becomes dry at the end.

This is a classic American Porter, thanks to my good friend mike O for bringing these back from his road trip home!!

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a nearly jet black with a big fluffy off white head that hangs around a while.

S: Heavy roasted coffee aroma with a hint of milk chocolate.

T: Very smooth coffee flavor mixed with beautiful chocolate notes make this one damn fine brew.

D: This beer is pretty awesome, although it's almost more like a stout than a porter. Anyway very tasty and a good drink.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Reviewed from notes

Near black pour with two fingers of creamy head. Aroma is lightly toasted malts and some watery coffee bean. Floral hops and nuttiness round out a subtle but pleasant nose.

Flavor is mostly just watered down coffee and nuttiness. I would really like to know the ABV here, because if this is sub-5% I would probably bump the score up a bit. But not knowing how alcoholic it is, I really have to say the flavor just isn't there to really satisfy.

Mouthfeel is medium with sufficient carbonation. Drinkability is fine in terms of volume but low in terms of desire, so I'll give an average score here.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

There is a dark, almost opaque coffee color to it with just a touch of ruby highlights. When poured into a glass, a very thin light tan head forms. It fades quickly to a film at the top of the glass. There is no lacing what so ever on the side of the glass.

The scent is a complex mixture of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts. There is a slight smoky scent that rounds it out. The taste is much like the flavor. Dark chocolate malts and a bitter burnt roasted coffee flavor are most prominent. There is also some smokiness to that rounds it off. There is barely a discernable aftertaste. It has a well balance flavor.

This is a light bodied beer, lighter than what I'm used to in a Porter. It's also has a heavier carbonation that I would expect.

This is a good porter. I really enjoyed it. It is very easy to drink and if it is drank at the suggested temperatures of 46 to 48 degrees. I could see myself actually seeking this porter out, it's probably one of the better ones I've had in a while.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, served cool as suggested. Poured a very deep burgundy with a frothy tight 1" head. The head slowly withered, aromas of caramel, and dark chocolate along with sweet malts. Lightly sweetened coffee comes to mind in much of the taste. Very smooth finish with that hint of dark chocolate almost like a toffee. OK mouthfeel but very drinkable. First brew i have tried from Harvest Moon, I am new to the world of micro brews but this is surely one of the most interesting taste combinations I have found in a beer.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Serving type-bottle poured into pint glass.

A-Bif fluffy tan head, dark brown body. Looks like a root beer straight from the tap. Great lacing.

S-Chocolate and coffee, caramel, sweet malts, dark fruits. Inviting.

T-Sweet milk chocolate with some bitter coffee. Good strong malt backbone with roasted grains and a bit of faint smoke. This has some pretty good bite to it with the hops but it is very tasty. A good, moderately complex porter. Well rounded flavors filling up the mouth.

M-Not as thick as I was expecting in viscosity and does have a higher carbonation level than I typically like in a porter. Does leave a thicker mouthfeel aftertaste that is almost sticky.

D-Quite good and easy going down. The sticky aftertaste is one of the only negatives. Very nice surprise from a small brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

A- This has an awesome name and label, which really help the cause! Best before date is indicated as well. Pours about as dark a brown as you can imagine...with tinges of red and copper around the rim. The lacing is excellent, with a sticky, viscous foam that really clings to the glass. My only disappointment is that the foamy head isn't really existent....just a thin layer formed, and turned into a ring around the glass.

S- The first thing I notice is an intense coffee aroma, reminiscent of an americano or cappucino. There is also some dark chocolate/cocoa bean aromas mixed in. This beer contains some smoked qualities as well, which remind me of a smoked gouda cheese or something.

T- Powerful dark chocolate malts, with a burnt/highly roasted chocolate/coffee flavor. There are also some notes of the aforementioned smokiness, as well as a hint of sweet malt, which balance this out. The finish is hopped well for the style, but it's the sticky sweetness that lingers on the palate afterward.

M- Surprisingly this was much lighter than I thought it would be. The carbonation is of fine bubbles, but maybe just a little too much of it that hits the palate right up front. The finish is smooth however and quite pleasant.

D- Lots of flavor packed into this one...a very solid porter. I don't think I'd have more than one of these at a time though, as the roasted qualities of the malt are quite dominant. Great meal beer and would go perfectly with a roast beef or stew. Anyone though that's really into the dry porters will very much enjoy this one. I do like this and would say that it's a great beer!

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

From notes dated 3-4-09:

Well, I'm not much of a porter fan (I really liked the Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, though). I decided to try it because I was at a beer bar I frequent and they had just got it in so they wanted me to try it. It didn't change my mind about porters but, for the style, it was pretty good.

Appear - Rather dark until your glass catches a little light on the sides and it glows a deep ruby red. It had a cream-colored head which lasted quite a while with a little lacing following it down the glass.

Nose - Roasty and bready with a bit o' sweetness hidden in the back.

Taste - Initially it was much the same as the nose, nothing too out of sorts. As I drank it (very) slowly, the glass warmed a bit (probably past the recommended temperature) and the flavor changed. I couldn't identify it at the time, but the sweet-ish (maybe caramel malt) flavor dramatically improved the beer. The next time I can find it, I'm going to warm it to 55ºF and then open it. I imagine it'll be a completely different beer

Mouthfeel - medium/thin body with more carbonation than I typically like.

Drinkability - I drank it so it can't be too terrible. I drank it a lot faster when it warmed (and improved) than I did initially. The biting carbonation kind of turned me off of having another one that night (plus they didn't have any more at the time).

Summary - At first I didn't like it, but as the beer warmed up it improved quite a bit and, though I don't typically like porters, I came around and would have had another (at room temp).

4.46/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer will make you stand up and take notice. My favorite style of beer, and this porter does not disappoint. Dark black in the glass, but a warming ruby-red glow when you hold it up to the light. Smell: malty and hopy. Taste: Smokey full flavor, with a terrific aftertaste. I love porters, have tried many and this is the best I've had. You must try this beer.

Served on tap at the Harvest Moon Saloon in beautiful downtown Belt, Montana as part of our recent Montana Beer Tour.
In its pint glass, color was as dark as night, held up to the light it is actually a deep dark brown. Just a thin ring of brownish foam floating on top. Roasted malts all over the place. Nice strong aromas of toasted nuts, strong and clean. Taste is full-bodied, dark caramel, burnt flavour, but no chocolate like I was kind of expecting. A good brew that can hold its own, even though I'm sure most people try it only because of the name. Too bad we couldn't actually get in to the bewery for a tour and tasting.
Update 2008 - Stopped in at the brewery for a fresh sample. Have learned that they are planning to start bottling this soon (to join the Beltian White in bottles). Glad to hear about a small brewery doing well.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

This was a real treat, enjoyed a long way from the brewery. Thanks to a true beer lover for hauling a growler all the way to Japan!
It pours dark, almost black, with hints of red, and a light brown, loose foamy head.
The smell is intense, a combination of smoked gouda cheese and good bacon, balanced by a dark chocolate malt. The flavour is great, with smoked cheese again, and the dark roasted malt. There was also a hint of fresh cut hay at first, which faded a few minutes after the pour.
The mouthfeel was good, solid without being heavy.
This was a very good beer. I hope I get the chance to enjoy it again.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

A big thanks to KBL Scott for bringing this beer all the way to Japan!!!

Dark black beer with a tiny espresso crema poured from a four pint growler. Chocolate and smokey aroma. Chocolate and smokey flavors, with a solid bitterness. Light bodied and slightly sour, which adds to the livelyness of this beer. I loved the balance between the full flavor and light body.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last