Asahi Super Dry | Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Breweries Ltd
Japan
asahibeer.co.jp

Style: Japanese Rice Lager

Refreshing. Crisp. Clear. Asahi Super Dry is our premium beer. Fans around the world have enjoyed the taste of this high quality lager.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,612 |  Reviews: 554
3.47/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear golden coloration with a small, fizzy, quickly receeding head. Smells faintly of sweet, grainy malt and corn. Taste is similarily bland, being dominated by sweet, slightly grainy malt and corn, with very little hop aroma coming through, except perhaps a light grassiness. Finishes with a light, dry bitterness and slightly metallic aftertaste. Light body with lively carbonation. Crisp and dry, yes, but also very sweet and bland. This is basically a Japanese AAL.

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I used to live and work in Tokyo, and this was the poison of choice back in the 90s. I used to have a vending machine outside out block that vended this beer, 100ml, 330ml, 500ml, 750ml, and 1L cans. You feared waking the neighbours getting a litre can as the machine really 'thunked'.
L- Very pale amber. Pours with thin head that soon clears to a 'snowcap'
S- nothing much to report
T- Unchallenging, Some grains. 'Nothing stands out', as one might argue is required to fit in with JPnese society.
F- Very gassy in the mouth. Thin, does not feel as if it's 5.2%
O- Intriguing to try again after all these years. We used to rate this above Sapporo which itself we rated above Kirin, but there seems very little to it. If you can find Yebisu special releases then I'd suggest opting for those, esp their winter seasonals.

Late addition/PS. This 620ml bottle was bought in London, and I now see from the lable that it is 'Brewed and bottled in Italy' - are you kidding me? I'm drinking a ''''Japanese beer''' brewed in Italy and shipped here, sheesh what a con.

3.34/5  rDev +21.9%

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.83/5  rDev +76.3%

This is probably my favorite beer to drink with regularity overall, and I've been to Belgium and have had Trappist Westvleteren 12 and many, many others that just blew my socks off. I've been to Japan three times now, and that's where I really developed a taste for this beer. The product brewed outside Japan is NOT the same. Even the one brewed in Thailand varies a bit.

The two I'm most familiar with are the ones brewed in Japan and the Molson variety available in the U.S. I stunned my Japanese bartender here in Seattle by immediately correctly identifying each in an impromptu blind taste. He never cared enough to notice the difference, as he's not much of a beer guy. But, I'll break it down:

The U.S. version has slightly higher viscosity, a more "syrupy" texture, and is slightly sweeter. It doesn't quite have that "Super Dry" finish that makes the Japanese version so desirable, in my humble opinion.

And, that's the thing: I love, LOVE Japanese food, and it's one of the primary reasons I keep going back to Japan. And, this brew is just about perfect for Japanese food in Japan. I absolutely appreciate why it has taken off like wildfire over there since '87. I get it. It took me a few good meals over there with super chilled Super Dry, but I finally got it, and now I'm hooked.

I go out of my way to buy the 6-packs of 500mL tallboys brewed in Tokyo. I pop one in the freezer with my favorite Second City beer glass for about half an hour, pour, let that lovely head settle (it really is... this is what a lager SHOULD pour like), and then enjoy. I'm drinking the last of a sixer bought yesterday just now.

I've been all over Europe, and there are some excellent pilsners and various other lagers available, but I keep coming back to this one. Do I care that it's 'impure', that it uses rice & corn in addition to barley & hops? Absolutely not. It just tastes RIGHT. I love adjunt lagers that are done well.

Radeburger is a 'pure' pilsner that I love, but on some days like today, I prefer this one. It's more mild, but the flavor profile is similar in a lot of ways: definitely on the drier side. I cannot stand sweet lagers!

Also, this coming from a recovering craft beer snob: I've been through just about every micro ever, living in the NW for over 15 years, and I love many of them. But, I now know enough not to discount a quality macro, a perfect recipe.

In my opinion, for what this is, it is a PERFECT recipe. I will keep buying it. But, only the Japanese version unless I'm in a pinch. The version widely available in the States isn't particularly bad, but it's just not the same. It doesn't have this feeling of very strict quality control and the exact flavor profile that seems to be rigorously enforced in Japan. I always know what I'm getting over there, and it never, ever disappoints.

To claim that this beer is "unbalanced" is just flat ignorant. It's deliberately made to be "super dry", so it's absolutely on that end of the flavor profile spectrum, by design. This beer is for people who like as little sweetness in their lagers as possible, and I'm one of those. I *hate* sweet lagers.

When served at the right temperature (very cold) and poured properly (should have about a 1-2" thick, foamy head), the mouthfeel is 100% what a beer of this style should be: cold, crisp, sparkly, with this smooth, slightly viscous quality that coats the tongue with that dry flavor. Also, when poured properly, it looks just gorgeous, ideal for a beer of this type: golden-yellow, lots of tiny bubbles originating from the bottom and sides of the glass, and very clear. The head retention is also just what it should be for this style: it dissipates rather quickly but leaves a nice, sticky ring around the glass.

All in all, I'm appalled that the rating for this is so low. Too many people just don't get this style or why it's been carefully designed this way. It's not an accident, and it's not because Asahi enjoyed brewing shitty beer and charging too much for it. This is a classic, IMHO: an exceptionally dry, easy-drinking lager that is supposed to have a very distinct, simple flavor profile. Figs, dates, and notes toasted cardboard or whatever you will not find here: just a very, very straightforward dry lager. As it should be!

2.99/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

2.24/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from bottle to pilsner glass. Clear, highly carbonated, two fingers soapy foam. Attractive. Nose is faint cracker and peppery hops. Near unsubstantial and nothing inviting. Flavor is something vegetal, a little cracker, something metal, and a harshly bitter finish. Completely unbalanced. I'd rather drink water.

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On Tap at Kiyatchi. Pours a clear lemon yellow color. Smell is yeast,grain and malt. Taste had a crisp hop bill with wet hay and grain. Mouth feel was dry with medium carbonation. This was very good on tap and would have it again on tap only.

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.74/5  rDev 0%

3.27/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.79/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: Bright, clear yellow. Thin white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: Skunked malt, despite being in a brown bottle. That's not a good sign. Mild spicy hop notes.

Taste: Very light rice-fueled malt with a sort of metallic bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Decently thick, high carbonation.

Overall: Blah. Very dull, like Budweiser but more bitter.

3.18/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz undated bottle poured into a pokal glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on bottle. The beer pours bright straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is mostly yeast driven, but I get some grain and faint lemon as well. The taste is minimal with slight grain, no hops and a barely tart flavor. Mouthfeel is very thin bodied, adequately carbonated and "super" dry in the finish. Overall, interesting tick. I'm not sure that I would ever seek out another unless it was in a Japanese restaurant. Nothing offensive, but nothing exciting.

3.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I will admit, the malt work with the rice sweetness does go well together. However the metallic aftertaste is rough, and the smell has a dry cracker character to it. But the feel is solid for the style

4.47/5  rDev +63.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This one holds a special place in my heart when I went to Japan and had my first legal beer. Even without the nostalgia, I still think it's solid, if not great.

3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a clear golden color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a thin cap that leaves decent lacing

S: Grain and malt up front along with light spicy hoppiness

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the grain and hearty maltiness and goes into a balancing spicy hop character. Finishes with lingering malt

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A nice, easy drinking rice lager. Nothing too special or noteworthy. Good for what it is

Asahi Super Dry from Asahi Breweries Ltd