Asahi Super Dry | Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Breweries Ltd
Japan
asahibeer.co.jp

Style: Japanese Rice Lager

Refreshing. Crisp. Clear. Asahi Super Dry is our premium beer. Fans around the world have enjoyed the taste of this high quality lager.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,629 |  Reviews: 559
3.61/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a crystal clear light straw color. Semi-effervescent with huge pillowy white head. Head slowly collapses inward leaving a thin layer of white foam with some sticky white lacing along the glass. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma has light notes of rice, white bread, sweet bread and some hints of floral hop notes.

Taste follows the nose with a clean crisp lager with some malt notes of white bread and rice. Some light floral notes on the back end. Some light sweetness.

Feel is light and crisp. Moderately carbonated. Semi-dry finish, but not as dry as you might expect given the nomenclature.

Overall this is a very nice, well done rice lager. Its very "neutral" for lack of a better word, but its clean and well executed. Also, this is one of those beers that pairs incredibly well with food. Stick this with some asian food and it works so well. All that being said, if you like the style, this is a very well done example.

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.75/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.38/5  rDev -49.6%

3.82/5  rDev +39.4%

Damn are people really this biased towards a beer? Do NOT listen to these poor reviews. Try it yourself then compare. This beer is by far the best beer I had so far. No bitter aftertaste just a smooth yet dry taste.

2.43/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A clear gold color with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly.
Not much aroma, just a sense of sweet malt.
Ditto taste. Just a little sweetness.
Mouthfeel like water.

2.28/5  rDev -16.8%

2.42/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.11/5  rDev +13.5%

My first beer of this style.

Well, it's a beer.

Pours a pale gold with a thumb of head that breaks quickly leaving little behind. Smell is quite malty I get quite a sweet sense from it. Taste brings the sweet forward and it is really malty. Feel is light, finish is dryish.

Not sure what to think of this, tastes an awful lot like a crappy AAL to me, but somehow it's better in some weird way. Maybe it's the finish, much nicer than most junk beers.

3.45/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

T17

2.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

3.63/5  rDev +32.5%

I really like this lager. It isn't huge on flavor, but it is very refreshing and smooth. Iced cold in a frozen mug.

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear golden coloration with a small, fizzy, quickly receeding head. Smells faintly of sweet, grainy malt and corn. Taste is similarily bland, being dominated by sweet, slightly grainy malt and corn, with very little hop aroma coming through, except perhaps a light grassiness. Finishes with a light, dry bitterness and slightly metallic aftertaste. Light body with lively carbonation. Crisp and dry, yes, but also very sweet and bland. This is basically a Japanese AAL.

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I used to live and work in Tokyo, and this was the poison of choice back in the 90s. I used to have a vending machine outside out block that vended this beer, 100ml, 330ml, 500ml, 750ml, and 1L cans. You feared waking the neighbours getting a litre can as the machine really 'thunked'.
L- Very pale amber. Pours with thin head that soon clears to a 'snowcap'
S- nothing much to report
T- Unchallenging, Some grains. 'Nothing stands out', as one might argue is required to fit in with JPnese society.
F- Very gassy in the mouth. Thin, does not feel as if it's 5.2%
O- Intriguing to try again after all these years. We used to rate this above Sapporo which itself we rated above Kirin, but there seems very little to it. If you can find Yebisu special releases then I'd suggest opting for those, esp their winter seasonals.

Late addition/PS. This 620ml bottle was bought in London, and I now see from the lable that it is 'Brewed and bottled in Italy' - are you kidding me? I'm drinking a ''''Japanese beer''' brewed in Italy and shipped here, sheesh what a con.

3.34/5  rDev +21.9%

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.83/5  rDev +76.3%

This is probably my favorite beer to drink with regularity overall, and I've been to Belgium and have had Trappist Westvleteren 12 and many, many others that just blew my socks off. I've been to Japan three times now, and that's where I really developed a taste for this beer. The product brewed outside Japan is NOT the same. Even the one brewed in Thailand varies a bit.

The two I'm most familiar with are the ones brewed in Japan and the Molson variety available in the U.S. I stunned my Japanese bartender here in Seattle by immediately correctly identifying each in an impromptu blind taste. He never cared enough to notice the difference, as he's not much of a beer guy. But, I'll break it down:

The U.S. version has slightly higher viscosity, a more "syrupy" texture, and is slightly sweeter. It doesn't quite have that "Super Dry" finish that makes the Japanese version so desirable, in my humble opinion.

And, that's the thing: I love, LOVE Japanese food, and it's one of the primary reasons I keep going back to Japan. And, this brew is just about perfect for Japanese food in Japan. I absolutely appreciate why it has taken off like wildfire over there since '87. I get it. It took me a few good meals over there with super chilled Super Dry, but I finally got it, and now I'm hooked.

I go out of my way to buy the 6-packs of 500mL tallboys brewed in Tokyo. I pop one in the freezer with my favorite Second City beer glass for about half an hour, pour, let that lovely head settle (it really is... this is what a lager SHOULD pour like), and then enjoy. I'm drinking the last of a sixer bought yesterday just now.

I've been all over Europe, and there are some excellent pilsners and various other lagers available, but I keep coming back to this one. Do I care that it's 'impure', that it uses rice & corn in addition to barley & hops? Absolutely not. It just tastes RIGHT. I love adjunt lagers that are done well.

Radeburger is a 'pure' pilsner that I love, but on some days like today, I prefer this one. It's more mild, but the flavor profile is similar in a lot of ways: definitely on the drier side. I cannot stand sweet lagers!

Also, this coming from a recovering craft beer snob: I've been through just about every micro ever, living in the NW for over 15 years, and I love many of them. But, I now know enough not to discount a quality macro, a perfect recipe.

In my opinion, for what this is, it is a PERFECT recipe. I will keep buying it. But, only the Japanese version unless I'm in a pinch. The version widely available in the States isn't particularly bad, but it's just not the same. It doesn't have this feeling of very strict quality control and the exact flavor profile that seems to be rigorously enforced in Japan. I always know what I'm getting over there, and it never, ever disappoints.

To claim that this beer is "unbalanced" is just flat ignorant. It's deliberately made to be "super dry", so it's absolutely on that end of the flavor profile spectrum, by design. This beer is for people who like as little sweetness in their lagers as possible, and I'm one of those. I *hate* sweet lagers.

When served at the right temperature (very cold) and poured properly (should have about a 1-2" thick, foamy head), the mouthfeel is 100% what a beer of this style should be: cold, crisp, sparkly, with this smooth, slightly viscous quality that coats the tongue with that dry flavor. Also, when poured properly, it looks just gorgeous, ideal for a beer of this type: golden-yellow, lots of tiny bubbles originating from the bottom and sides of the glass, and very clear. The head retention is also just what it should be for this style: it dissipates rather quickly but leaves a nice, sticky ring around the glass.

All in all, I'm appalled that the rating for this is so low. Too many people just don't get this style or why it's been carefully designed this way. It's not an accident, and it's not because Asahi enjoyed brewing shitty beer and charging too much for it. This is a classic, IMHO: an exceptionally dry, easy-drinking lager that is supposed to have a very distinct, simple flavor profile. Figs, dates, and notes toasted cardboard or whatever you will not find here: just a very, very straightforward dry lager. As it should be!

2.99/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Asahi Super Dry from Asahi Breweries Ltd