Asahi Super Dry | Asahi Breweries Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002

Ratings: 1,524 |  Reviews: 526
Reviews by Miami66:

3.57/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I may be partial to this since I used to live in Japan but i find this beer although dry very tasteful. Everyone I've ever had try loved it. It's a little more Amber color with a light feel. I find the Japanese beers are quite good.

3.71/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a clear bright golden amber color with a 1/2” white head that recedes slowly but visibly to a reasonable ring around the glass and an island of foam and thin layer of foam on the liquid. Sipping creates sheets of foam that mostly slide back down to the liquid but leave some scattered patches of foam and small speckles of lacing. The thin layer of foam on the surface persists quite well for much of the beer.

The aroma is dominated by the grains (barley and rice) with very little in the way of hops showing. What hops that do show have a lightly grassy character.

The flavor begins with a bit of grainy sweetness that quickly turns dry while allowing some light notes of hop flavors and a slight touch of dry bitterness to show.

The mouth feel is on the light side, clean and crisp and having a moderate level of carbonation. The finish begins early on as the light sweetness quickly begins to fade allowing a touch of light grassy hop flavors and a hint of bitterness to show. Then everything turns quite dry and then quickly disappears in the short dry ending of the finish.

Overall this is a fairly nice, lightly favored beer that at one level is not particularly challenging and so could be quite refreshing when it's hot outside. I'll be having more, but mostly because I bought a six pack so I could sample it more than once in order to give it a fair review since it has to compete with such intensely flavored beers as IPAs and Imperial Stouts. On the whole, for some folks, this beer would fall comfortably into the category of what might be called "a lawnmower beer.” It does provide a simple refreshing way to vanquish thirst. But on the other hand, thinking of it only that way could lead us to ignore it’s subtle complexity. Not surprisingly this beer seems perfectly suited to pairing with Sushi.

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and subdued hay and grass aromas. Taste is much the same with watery grain, hay, and grass flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with aromas and flavors that get worse as the beer warms up.

4.31/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

If you want a beer that is dry (with no aftertaste) and you can drink like water, this is for you. I love it because it goes down so easy. I understand it has a poor rating here because most guys are looking for richer hoppier flavors with a stronger aftertaste. I, at the moment don't want that, so my rating is skewed highly. I love ricey matly dry beer. Just wish there were more options (PM me with suggestions).

3.27/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2017-01-22
12oz screw top served in a can shaped glass. H31625 19:59 is printed on the shoulder of the bottle. I don't know what it means. This bottle was a gift from a Japanese friend. I've had this beer many times, and I'm well aware that it's not my favorite even amongst a style I don't like much.

Pours very clear golden with a medium head that fades fast and a medium amount of carbonation. Smell is malt liquor, a little honey and funk.

Taste is a weird combination of too sweet and too dry.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Overall...it's not a bad beer, but it's never a beer that I look forward to drinking. It does seem to go well with sushi, and it is a good "starter beer" for a big dinner with a bunch of alcohol.

3.14/5  rDev +15.4%

I wouldn't call this beer awful. I am probably in the minority in this but to me, you cannot judge a macro beer the same way you judge a craft beer, just like you do not judge a good sandwich shop the same way you judge a Michelin star restaurant.

I live in Singapore, where temperatures are always in the 30-35C range, and in this heat, a good macro really hits the spot.

As far as macros go, Asahi is really one of the better ones. Every can/bottle of Asahi is almost identical, which is a testament to the Japanese adherence to quality standards. I have drunk numerous Asahis from the tap, a one litre can, a 350ml can, a 330ml bottle.
What is surprising is the identical look, taste and mouthfeel of all of them. To me, Asahi is a template macro, and ideal for Singapore's hot weather.

It pours a nice golden yellow (more than say Budweiser or Miller), with a nice head that dissipates quickly to leave a soapy lace.

You can taste a lot of rice (obviously), some malted barley, grass and a nice citrusy finish. The hoppiness is light, but prominent enough, and not as overpowering as say a Tiger. It also taste less "adjunct" than most American macros (surprising considering how much rice is used).

The mouthfeel is quite crisp, but somewhat unsatisfying, but again, given the heat, it's not too much a factor. Considering it's called "Super Dry" it lives up to that name, again with a spot of lemon tastes much better than a Corona. The Japanese really know how to make a good middle of the road, crisp lager.

Overall, a very good, middle of the road macro that is a safe bet anywhere in the world, as long as the can/bottle is brewed in Japan, and not "made under supervision".

Really bland. Typical lager. Not very good.

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

2.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Asahi Super Dry. Poured in to a stange glass for fun. Figured it would help charactor. I was right.

A- Pours a nice mildly hued straw yellow fluid that is followed by a very stable fluffy white head that sticks around till the end of the beer. Leaves mild but nice lacing for the type of beer.

S- Rice and barley....simple beer. But nice lager smell.

T- Simple flavors of a yeasty rice kick followed by simple malts (very little if any.)
Hop tart is possible at the end. Almost a metallic finish aftertaste.

M-D- For a rice lager it is very easy to drink with only the normal american adjuct lager distractions. That being said, slightly easier on the buds with a nice smoothness that is water-like. I could consume in mass amounts.

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

2.23/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

3.37/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev +22.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a 1000ml can into a German Masskrug. The can offers very little info about the beer. There is only a short description. It has no freshness date or abv%.

Appearance: A bright golden colored beer with great clarity and some carbonation fills my big German mug. On top I got a tall bright white head of foam that quickly faded to a thin wispy covering and as I drank it only made some light spotty lacing.

Smell: In the nose there is very little to pick up. All I got was a light cracker like maltiness with a wisp of grassy hops.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is simple, light and refreshing. I get a mild dry biscuity/cracker like malt base with a light kiss of hop bitterness. The finish is dry and a tad astringent. It has a light body with light carbonation and a thin watery feel.

Notes: Simple plain and yes dry.

1.91/5  rDev -29.8%

Super "Dry" Asahi... for starters, I live in the center of Canada and the bottle I bought was clearly marked 'Product of Thailand' by "Khon Kaen" brewery. Regardless, the bottle also states, 'brewed under supervision of Asahi Breweries Ltd. Tokyo, Japan.

To the review!

Appearance: Thin head, virtually nothing left over, and very little lacing. It's a very nice yellow. Looks nice, very clean.

Smell: smelled a bit spicy (could be a combination of malt and the alcohol smell making that) mixed with some bit of grassy smell with an initial blast of skunk leaving the bottle into the glass.

Taste: Homer Simpson can be quoted as saying "Hello, taste?" to a rice cake... that pretty much sums it up for me. Apart from a grassy taste left over after I burped on purpose trying to find something, this is a low point and one of the most flavorless beers I've had, ever. The initial tastes that were tasted could be seen as sweet and grassy that vanished almost instantly after swallowing, that's about it.

Mouth: The carbonation was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking a beer, very, very, very thin. Like fizzy water that had some lawn trimmings tossed into it, then blended up.

Drink: I guess if one likes tasting and feeling virtually nothing then it'd be great, I'm not that one.

I like substance and flavor, so this did not meet my cut. I believe that there is no beer in the world that deserves an F as I love beer too much to fail one and no matter how bad a beer is, it could likely be safer than local water of the area... but this was pretty bad and not worth the premium price.

2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

Had one of the big bottles, 21 ozs? States that it is brewed in Canada by Molson. Bit darker than I thought it was going to be with a strawish golden colour ... the head lacked big time. Husky almost metal-like aroma, little hay in there also. Thought it would be bone dry but there was a touch of residuals in the front, crisp finish was very dry. Lots of husky malt with metallic undertones from an astringent flavour, hops were quick and snappish with a sharp bitterness that went hand and hand with the husk flavour. Not a beer that I'll go back to.

2.1/5  rDev -22.8%

A disappointing beer with a nice can

Asahi Super Dry from Asahi Breweries Ltd