Asahi Black (Kuronama) | Asahi Breweries Ltd

good
Asahi Black (Kuronama)Asahi Black (Kuronama)

Asahi Breweries Ltd

Added by kbub6f on 06-01-2002

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.43/5  rDev -59.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Tastes fishy, metallic, and too light for a dunkel.

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Looks almost as dark as a porter. Smells metallic. Tastes mostly bland. Probably better than the traditional Japanese lagers (that all taste like Budweiser), but nothing to get excited about. Probably won't order again.

2.06/5  rDev -41.8%

334cl bottle poured @ home into a Westmalle chalice during October 2012, just after it's best before date.

Deep ruby red body with thinning tanned head on top: the head becoming a wisp and collar a bit too quickly for my liking.

Struggled to find any aroma at all: hints of maltiness as it warmed I suppose.

The taste was too close towards a Pepsi Cola with alcohol for me. Wasn't impressed at all. It had almost the same texture and body feel as well.

2.21/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not the greatest, but good at Asian and sushi places. Wouldn't buy this for at home.

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

bottle in sasebo, japan.

pours a dark brown with a small off-white head, some lacing.

smells of roasted malt, some cocoa, and a hint of caramel.

taste is a bit on the chalky side, dark fruits, roasted malts, some chocolate, and a touch of sweetness, end is a little dry.

overall not too impressed.

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

2.61/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

A Japanese microbrew made Guinness

2.67/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bit blunt overall, needs more kick from hops. Not a big fan of black lagers either.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

2.76/5  rDev -22%

Lacing is Grade A ... smooth down the throat but a bit to cultured ... not the most flawless blackers but a good beginner .... " he's mental for those snausages" ... drinkable but quite neutral... bought as a single at Specs in Clear Lake..

2.76/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Perhaps it was my expectation of how it should taste that interfered with my assertion of how it "did" taste. Poured thick, with a dark brown cola color that produced a medium head of coffee. I attempted to pair with sushi, as you would a traditional Japanese beer, but this failed to compliment the richness of the fish.

I will have to try again, because I feel like I gave the beer a raw deal based upon the circumstances on which it was consumed. However, the taste was lacking in my opinion, done better by many American stouts.

That being said, the beer had a rich mouth-feel and a silky texture which I did enjoy.

2.77/5  rDev -21.8%

A - The color and look of this beer is exactly what you would want from a dark lager. Two fingers of head was present most of the time and stood there through the entire drink.

S - The smell was light and mostly non-existent. As it began to warm, the smell increased to a light/dull malty smell but never impacted taste.

T - At the front it was mostly bland with a subtle caramel malt taste at the beginning. At the end there was still a subtle malt flavor lacking hops to balance. It finished clean but was poorly balanced.

M - Very smooth and well carbonated. The feel was typical of a dark lager and could easily stand up to other beers in it's class. The long lasting head added a nice feel as well

D - This beer is very easy to consume and is a good starting point for folks who don't typically like "dark beers". It's carbonation and smooth mouth feel will help people come back to this beer.

Overall - This beer is very bland to me and is not as impressive as many beers in it's class. The balance is lacking and it's a straight forward non-complex brew. It's an easy-to-drink dark lager that's a good entry point for folks who typically drink pilsners and very light lagers. I probably won't drink this beer again.

2.79/5  rDev -21.2%

Asahi Kuronama

Second tasting: 21 January 2003
Compared to the Sopporo Black and Kirin Black I drank against this, it was just weak. Dark water in a bottle. I significantly droped my rating, though the drinkability remains high. Has no character.

First tasting 30 Dec. 2003
I thought the beautiful red hugh to this dark beer was really beautiful. There was an uneven head that died right away. Simple dark bread taste and the faintest aroma of chocolate. Very light, like all Asahi beers, but it I am impressed with it. If I have to have an Asahi, make it a kuronama.

Bottle stated this was a Munich-style beer. Unfortunately, it does not pass the Bavarian beer purity law. On the bottle, the ingredients in Japanese are listed as malts, hops, rice, corn and starch.

2.9/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours very dark brown with copper highlights and a small tan creamy head.
Soft, sweet aroma of roasted barley, tar, and faint hints of cocoa. Other than that, very clean.
First up in the flavour department is some toasty and bready sweet malt, before a moderately roasty note kicks in along with some chocolate hints, with support the gently bitter finish.
Carbonation is much too high, and the body is very watery.

2.92/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a very dark brown with a one finger tan head. Minimal lacing left behind.

Smells of roasted coffee and nuts.

Tastes just as it smells, roasted coffee and nuts, although slightly watered down and with a hint of cola.

Mouthfeel was quite thin, certainly not what you'd expect when looking at this beer. Minimal carbonation as well.

This is a beer which, while not bad, didn't have any traits which left me wanting more. I doubt I'll have this one again.

2.99/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Today has been a good day… and I have some time to kill before meeting my buddy Scott for dinner, so I figured we could review a beer. I am not sure if I have had this before, but reading they use rice has me pumped up. I have been on a rice IPA kick lately… just something that smooths out the mouthfeel and provides a more enjoyable experience. Also a cool story about how Asahi basically took over from being the name of the beer to being the name of the brewery. We are having sushi for dinner… so this is only fitting!

Here is another small bottle… 11.3 ounces on this one. Would it really kill them to send a full beer? No worries. I am ready to drink! Oh, and we are meeting Scott at Angel's Trumpet Ale House… so I will be drinking plenty there.

In the Glass: It's dark, but it's not black. I wish I knew Japanese… I wonder what the label says/means. It could say, "This is the best beer ever!" and we would never know. When I was pouring it, the beer produced a really nice creamy head… but it was gone as fast as I could turn around. Not much lace to speak of. Let's see what she smells like. (I still feel weird writing that…)

Nose: This smells like rich malty bread. The rice isn't really coming through, but I am sure it will in both the mouthfeel and the flavor. A second whiff has me smelling some of those dark malts that were tacked about. I hope the flavor delivers.

Flavor: It's nice, but not until the end. There is a lot going on with the mouthfeel… but the flavor is really lacking for a beer that is sold by the palate. Or is it palette? You know what I mean. The best part of this beer is the finish. In the tasting notes they mentioned coffee several times, but I am not getting much coffee from this. There might be a hint of coffee in the finish, but the dark malts are all I am getting here.

Mouthfeel: At first, there isn't much going on and then it explodes into a crisp sharp malty backbone. Then, as it sits on the palate it begins to dry. I get a hint of coffee notes as it finishes, but that isn't really changing the mouthfeel. I don't want to call it boring, but it's nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: This is the best part. It has a nice drying finish to it, but the flavor dwindles in a hurry. Right after I swallow it tastes good… and I want that flavor to continue. But it doesn't. I am still not getting any rice from this. Grab a Flying Fish Wild Rice Double IPA… THAT is what rice is supposed to taste like in a beer. If I were to buy an Asahi beer again, it would be the Super Dry. We are having sushi later. I hope they have Asahi Super Dry!

Asahi Black (Kuronama) from Asahi Breweries Ltd