Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Asahi Black (Kuronama) | Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Black (Kuronama)Asahi Black (Kuronama)
3.52/5
Good
Asahi Black (Kuronama)Asahi Black (Kuronama)

Asahi Breweries Ltd
Japan
asahibeer.co.jp

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

"a premium dark ale."

Added by kbub6f on 06-01-2002

3.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured this really black brew into my tumbler at 40 degrees. The beer was uhhh black. I said That. The beer poured a really nice big head and I like that. The beer had a slight beer smell, oh I guess it should. Really could not come up with anything else. I liked the beer and its a good product that I believe I will will have to buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

2.76/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Perhaps it was my expectation of how it should taste that interfered with my assertion of how it "did" taste. Poured thick, with a dark brown cola color that produced a medium head of coffee. I attempted to pair with sushi, as you would a traditional Japanese beer, but this failed to compliment the richness of the fish.

I will have to try again, because I feel like I gave the beer a raw deal based upon the circumstances on which it was consumed. However, the taste was lacking in my opinion, done better by many American stouts.

That being said, the beer had a rich mouth-feel and a silky texture which I did enjoy.

3.38/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 11.3 oz bottle, into a pilsner.

A: Very dark brown. Pours a hefty, cascading, brown-white head. Craters slowly and unevenly leaving lots of dry sticky residue behind as it does. Plenty of persistent lacing.

S: Char roasted malt grains, a little peat, and a little dish soap.

T: Roasted pecans, a little licorice, even less unsweetened dark chocolate, and even less still molasses.

M: Hearty body, but feels a little washed out. A little bit of a peaty aftertaste hangs on the palate.

D: Sip or session.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Dark, with a giant head, and plenty of lacing. Nose is roasty, with some pungency, and an unsettling soapy component. Roasted nuts, chocolate, licorice, molasses... well-balanced, as each of the components are lacking a bit. A little shallow when it's all said and done. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

3.31/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Who knew that there would be a market for Dark German Lagers in the land of Rice Beers?

Asahi Black pours with a deep garnet, nearly bark brown color. Its brilliant clarity casts ruby highlights and bronze shaddows. Ample carbonation streams through the lager to form a dainty sheet of foam on the beer's surface. Dissipating fairly quickly, the lager trails with random spots of lace.

Distinctive aromas of light roast, toast, light coffee grounds and a hint of chocolate. Decorated with mild raisin and licorice fruitiness, the clean toasted malt profile shows a delicate ester profile. Its early palate is slightly of caramel and sweet cereal grain. Dry on the middle palate, the taste is scant with the robust pilsner malt to back up the toast and fruit and leaves the scent and taste needing a tad more support. Its finish is short, toasted and nutty with the flavor of more delicate coffee and dates.

Light on the palate, the lager sheds its carbonation quickly as it has little malt support to retain much creaminess. Though the beer thins out considerably, it remains refreshing from the try toast elements and slight coffee-like bitterness. Shy alcohol warmth and mild grain-derived astringency closes the beer with a linger of fruit and toast.

Though largely void of malt underpinnings and roundness, its understated savory taste lends itself to seared fish and robust sushi dishes.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cola brown that's garnet in light with puffy sepia head that fades fast.
Ash, tin, cherry stones, and grass on the muted nose.
Brown bread dough, sugar coated raisins, miso and cola, a little roasty edge, then cut hay hops.
Malteser finish and tingly linger.
Crisp, fizzy, light, flinty.

Confused by this one - Roger Protz says that Japanese black lagers are "more Saxon than Franconian" - schwarzbiers, not dunkels.

Nevertheless, this lines up with all the right sweet, bready dunkel notes (albeit in a watered down fashion) and the hops are there. Maybe I'm supposed to ignore the rice and corn, but this is thin by any lager standard, yet still sweet enough to almost cloy, and the roast is more burnt sugar than chocolate.

Quenching, but I feel like a headache is not far away.

3.14/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a hazy dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, biscuit, and slight char-like aromas. Taste is much the same with roasted grain flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but it smells slightly better in my opinion.

2.99/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Today has been a good day… and I have some time to kill before meeting my buddy Scott for dinner, so I figured we could review a beer. I am not sure if I have had this before, but reading they use rice has me pumped up. I have been on a rice IPA kick lately… just something that smooths out the mouthfeel and provides a more enjoyable experience. Also a cool story about how Asahi basically took over from being the name of the beer to being the name of the brewery. We are having sushi for dinner… so this is only fitting!

Here is another small bottle… 11.3 ounces on this one. Would it really kill them to send a full beer? No worries. I am ready to drink! Oh, and we are meeting Scott at Angel's Trumpet Ale House… so I will be drinking plenty there.

In the Glass: It's dark, but it's not black. I wish I knew Japanese… I wonder what the label says/means. It could say, "This is the best beer ever!" and we would never know. When I was pouring it, the beer produced a really nice creamy head… but it was gone as fast as I could turn around. Not much lace to speak of. Let's see what she smells like. (I still feel weird writing that…)

Nose: This smells like rich malty bread. The rice isn't really coming through, but I am sure it will in both the mouthfeel and the flavor. A second whiff has me smelling some of those dark malts that were tacked about. I hope the flavor delivers.

Flavor: It's nice, but not until the end. There is a lot going on with the mouthfeel… but the flavor is really lacking for a beer that is sold by the palate. Or is it palette? You know what I mean. The best part of this beer is the finish. In the tasting notes they mentioned coffee several times, but I am not getting much coffee from this. There might be a hint of coffee in the finish, but the dark malts are all I am getting here.

Mouthfeel: At first, there isn't much going on and then it explodes into a crisp sharp malty backbone. Then, as it sits on the palate it begins to dry. I get a hint of coffee notes as it finishes, but that isn't really changing the mouthfeel. I don't want to call it boring, but it's nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: This is the best part. It has a nice drying finish to it, but the flavor dwindles in a hurry. Right after I swallow it tastes good… and I want that flavor to continue. But it doesn't. I am still not getting any rice from this. Grab a Flying Fish Wild Rice Double IPA… THAT is what rice is supposed to taste like in a beer. If I were to buy an Asahi beer again, it would be the Super Dry. We are having sushi later. I hope they have Asahi Super Dry!

2.5/5  rDev -29%