Clear Sakura Beer | Asahi Breweries Ltd

Added by biboergosum on 09-28-2010

View: Beers
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.72/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.62/5  rDev -8.7%

3.54/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

What with today being the occasion of New Beer Sunday (Week 654), I have decided to go with an homage to the now-defunct Lauzus Hotel & Bar here in Lancaster, PA. I was vaguely aware of their eclectic selection of imported & foreign beers growing up, but they were prohibitively expensive for us underage beer drinkers. It wasn't until after my first overseas deployment in the Navy & my exposure to Chimay that I got hip to going in there while home on leave or weekends.

From the CAN: Loads of Japanese characters! Man, I CANnot read Kanji, but this is SUCH a cool CAN!

I Crack!ed the CAN open & began a slow, gentle Glug. I was surprised by the quick, unbidden rise of a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity & The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Mammon & Midas suddenly appeared, clad in samurai robes & speaking Kanji! Oh my. I relinquished my hold on the glass and slowly backed away, bowing as I did so. Nose was very faint. lightly sweet, slightly perfume-y, but just what one should expect in the style. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, big for the style. The taste was light, slightly -sweet, mildly perfume-y flavor with a delicate floweriness. Geez-O, man, this takes me back. My last time was Okinawa in 1992, but this is the kind of beer that I became acCANstomed to during my many visits. Yeah, it was not earth-shattering in its flavor, but it excelled in its subtlety. That was a hard lesson-learned as a street fighter up against martial artists. I was often bested, but after a while, I learned to embrace their style. It was the same way with this beer for a self-avowed, self-described hophead. It was neither malt-driven nor hops-oriented & yet it still brought off a pleasant drink. Finish was dry, very dry & I would not be CANverse to a CANother.

3.22/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours clear light golden yellow.
Very light grain on the nose.
It's really bland, it's a slightly dry carbonated water. I'm glad I tried this beer, I've been wanting the style tick. It's not bad.

1.68/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

A big thanks goes out to Norseman for bringing my last style tick back from japan for me. Pours bright, clear, gold with fizzy white head which dissipates quickly. Nose has strong lagery must, notes of corn, rice, stale grain come through with a faint hint of acetaldehyde. The taste is extremely bland, primarily water up front with some faint stale grain and green apple towards the finish. This reminds me of a cheap adjunct light lager watered down. Mouthfeel is the only redeeming part of this beer... It's uhh... Refreshing I guess. Overall, glad to have tried it, will not try it again!

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that died down, leaving a pillow of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge, and a thin film of bubbles in between.

S: Light hints of skunk are present in the nose.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste has a bit of skunk flavors along with notes of adjunct malts. A faint amount of bitterness is perceptible.

M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: This Happoshu seems to be better compared to some of the other beers I’ve tried in the style because it isn’t that skunky.

Serving type: can

2.03/5  rDev -29.3%

Clear light straw golden with no real head ... fizzy grainy water ... No "malt" and absolutely nothing resembling hops ... Exactly what expected. Big props to Buckeyeboy for the tick!

2.5/2/2/2/2

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My least favorite of the many "convinience store" beers I had in Japan.

2.44/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Can
I begged my friend who works as an English teacher in Japan to bring this over
I should have asked for something else lol
Sparkling golden body with good amount of thick head
no real aroma
and the flavour is barely noticeable its just so like a cheap fake lager

2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

3.5/5  rDev +22%

3.25/5  rDev +13.2%

3.5/5  rDev +22%

3.12/5  rDev +8.7%

O boy, another new beer to try here in Tokyo. Poured from a 11.2 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by malts. Taste is malty, slightly sweet, refreshing and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while nothing special, is a servicable beer.

3.25/5  rDev +13.2%