Petrus Aged Pale | De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.

Aged in Oak foeders for over 24 months

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Liked:
4.07/5
Alströms:
4.4

Ratings: 2,481 |  Reviews: 716
3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Review from notes taken on 6/13/10.

On tap at Monk's Cafe, i've seen this in bottles before but not on tap so figured why not give it a try.

Served in a sort of stubby champagne glass, it appears a clear golden orange color with less than a finger of creamy head. Lace clings all about the glass. The aroma of this brew has all the indications of this being a funky brew. Slight fruity tones with an indication of sourness. The flavor of this brew has a tartness upfront with fruity hints and vinegar character. Quite a bit of puckering power with it's sourness level. Light bodied with a modest level of carbonation that is prickly on the tongue. Lingering flavor of funk and an oaky woodsiness left in the mouth that exaggerates the dryness of this beer along with an ever increasing amount of alcohol. As it warms there is a mild amount of orange rind flavor.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

11.2oz bottle, served at 40-45F.

Pours cloudy golden amber with a one finger white head that leaves a few spots of lacing and recedes to a foamy ring and wispy cap.

Aroma is apple cider vinegar, funk, oak, sour. Interesting and inviting. Gueuze-like qualities. Very good strength.

Flavor is tart cider vinegar, funky, oak, a hint of some almost caramel like sweetness lies underneath, finishes with acidic sourness. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily, a bit sticky, sharp carbonation.

Really nice Sour, especially for the price. Great intro to the style for those on a budget.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

No vintage or bottling date markings, but this seems to be a new batch. "Best before 28/03/13"

A: Big, cloud-like head over a clear orange with lots of active bubble.

S: Lemon, hay, light barnyard, whisper of mushroom. A hint of tropical fruit. To my nose, a lot more like gueuze than Flanders brown.

T: moderate tartness, good malt structure under it. Still a bit of sweetness to this. Apple, lemon. Tasty, but a bit simple.

M: moderate astringency, good carbonation, good linger.

O: Nice overall, easy drinkability, good price point, lacks the complexity of the top examples of the style.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Belgian goblet. My first crack at this style, which is rather difficult to find in these parts. Hoping that more examples turn up. This sour is a golden orange amber hue with ample beige foam; features larger bubbles than the Flanders reds from Rodenbach I have sampled. Smells very carbolic, like white wine vinegar, along with zesty lemon juice and a tannic woodiness. Taste is a fascinating blend of aggressive sour and caramel sweetness ... There's a gentle sweet backbone of vanilla nougat, dairy-based confectionery, carob, and raisins with a hint of dried banana chip, with all this lurking beneath another tart factor that recalls sour gummy candies, unripe cherry, pomegranate molasses, green apple, tangerine peel, and grainy vinegar. To my palate the sourness is about on par with Rodenbach Grand Cru, maybe even a hair more, with a thin body and rather prickly carbonation. Finishes dry, acidic, and woody. A tasty introduction to the style and to sours more generally.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Pours a golden apple cider color that is crystal clear. I didn't find that there was much of a creamy foam head, but more of a thick layer about 1 finger thick, that settles to a patchy, fizzy layer over the brew. Modest lacing clings to the glass but nothing really special. Overall, I think this isn't much better than average looking....

S- The aroma is kind of funky initially, with sour cherry, sour granny smith apple, and assorted sour berry aromas. There is some mellow oakiness hiding in the background as well but it's not very dominant. On the finish, I smell sweet malt that resembles caramel apples, and it really helps balance out the tartness that the front is carrying.

T- This is the second beer of the style that I've tried, and to be honest, I was scared to after my first go with another brand. Fortunately, I find this to be very nicely balanced on the palate, with lots of sour fruity funk going on, but it doesn't make me pucker. After getting through this at first, the mellowness of the oak aging becomes noticeable, along with some malt sweetness right at the end. It kind of reminds me of a funked up version of a great English Scrumpy Cider....the apple quality is what I notice the most here.

M- There's plenty of quenching carbonation going on here, which I like, as it really helps my palate adjust to the tartness. Not a heavy beer by any means, I'd put this as a light to medium bodied brew, yet well rounded from the oak aging I'm guessing.

O- I surprised myself in the fact that I really enjoyed having this! It really hits the spot when sitting on the patio during a very warm afternoon! I also find that as it warms up a couple degrees from when first taken out of the fridge, it mellows out further....add to this the fact that the funk really hides the alcohol well, I'd never know that this was 7.5%!! Still not a beer for just anyone to try, if this is what a true Oud Bruin is supposed to be, I'm sold. I'll buy this again for sure!

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours clear and golden but with a minimal head that fades very quickly.

The aroma is very much tart fruit. It may look like honey but the aroma reminds me of tart cherries mixed with that honey along with some vanilla notes that I associate with oak.

Some of that same tart cherry flavor but there's more honey flavor than cherry and something that almost reminds me of green apples. Seriously tart! The vanilla notes from the oak are also strong here.

Medium to light body with very prickly carbonation.

This is my first 'sour' and I'm not sure it's really for me. It's not bad and it's certainly drinkable but it's maybe just a little bit too much on the sour side for my taste buds. It would probably be exceptional to me with just a touch more balancing sweetness.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at Fleming Place in Topeka, KS. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a half finger's worth of head which quickly fizzed away. Thin bubbles stayed at the edges and with a good swirl turned into a thin cap which left some nice lacing on the sides. Looks like a cider. Golden in color. Doesn't look like too much.

Aroma: Apple vinegar, acidic cider, white wine and a lactic tang. Earthy, humid basement. Faint oak. Rotting pineapple and dirty hay.

Taste: Wave of acidic and tangy vinegar. Sour grapes and tart rotting apples. Stomach acid and finishes with a bit of barrel and a hint of vanilla. The lactic tangyness actually keeps the sourness from being offensive. No hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy. High carbonation. Drying. Slight warmth in the throat.

Overall: Fairly new to the style but I like this as an introduction. I don't know if I'm getting acid reflux or if it's just the beer in my throat. Excellent on the first day of summer. Not overly complex but being fairly new I'm still getting used to the sour. You know you always seem them on the shelf, pick one up already.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer poured out a thin, golden-yellow color. There wasn't much head, nor was there much lacing left behind. Attractive to look at, but not exceptionally inviting.

Lots of sour fruits going on in the aroma; oranges and lemons are what hit me first. I was able to pull out grapes and grapefruit shortly after, and hints of cherries and vinegar as the beer settled.

I think the oranges I smelled turned out to be tangerines, big difference huh? However, the tangerine taste was very tart and subdued; hidden behind the other flavors. Lemon takes the foreground alongside lime. There are also notes of grapefruit, wood, and a penetrating white grape taste near the finish.

Highly carbonated and light-bodied, sort of like a champagne in a way. I liked the taste of this beer a lot, but due to the high acidity and sourness, I wouldn't be able to drink another in succession. I would try it again sometime.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY for $5.59 last october into my tall Petrus Chalice which came with a Winter Ale gift pack purchased at Beverage Warehouse in Cleveland.

A Not much head even though I poured vigorously. It dissapeared within 30 seconds. Body is a basic looking yellowish translucent body with little to no visible carbonation.

S An oak aged smell that was not immediately pleasing but I am warming to it. I write these reviews "live" when possible and that is the case here. I have smelled this beer several times and it is getting better with each smell.

T A dry sourness that I did not expect. The aftertaste is interesting in that in about 60 seconds it is virtually gone with just a hint of malty sweetness lingering. Totally gone is the sourness. So in the front is a unique sourness which quickly dissipates into a light and distant sweetness. I have not had this style before now so it is hard for me to say how true to the style it is but interesting it was. I would say that the alcohol is hidden very well.

M Moderate with those sour tastes.

D Better than average but this beer demands one's attention. I do not see it as a session beer.

Beer #3 at World of Beer in Fort Myers, FL - 9/28/2011

From bottle into a tulip, appears translucent and golden; the bartender poured it a bit too frantically in a rush and I got a huge three finger head as a result which was fizzy as anything. This reduced down to practically nothing in time however, producing some faint lacing as it did.

I could smell this from a mile away; I don't care if some guy in there hadn't showered in a week, this is still completely distinguishable. This wreaks of vinegar, with scents of white wine (Pinot Grigio?), light fruit, and woodiness from the aging process as well. Kinda funky, but the vinegar like character brings this down a few notches for me.

Musty funkiness, sweet from the fruit with a pronounced sourness. Leans more sour then sweet, with the oak flavors coming through strong to calm down the vinegar a bit. Complex and enjoyable for the most part.

Highly carbonated, lip puckering and medium bodied with a dry finish, this is a beer to be enjoyed at a slow pace in order to dwell in its nuances.

I definitely enjoyed this beer, but its not the best sour I've ever had as the balance just felt a bit off for me. Then again, I don't have a lot of experience with this style of beer, so be sure to go grab one to try for yourself, Cheers!

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

No bottle date
Poured into a standard tulip.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy blond with a loose, 2 finger white head that dissipate almost as soon as it forms, leaving zero lacing behind in it's wake.

Aroma: Big acidic waves of lemon, white wine vinegar, tangy pineapple and overripe pear flesh. There is a little bit of funk that manifests itself as musty, wet hay on the edges of the acidity. There some light undertones of vanilla imbued by the oak aging. Very assertive nose, although definitely not the most complex i've smelled on a sour ale.

Taste: Wow, this is one mouth puckering ale; huge and in your face lemon juice with some vinegar and funky pineapple from the brettanomyces yeast strains. A big rush of prickly carbonation brings some needed reprieve to your shocked palate by drying out the juicy sourness. The dry, somewhat bitter finish leaves you left with lingering notes of vanilla and more tangy pineapple.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with high carbonation which is consistent with the style.

Overall: A very puckering, sour ale that certainly scratches that sour itch, if you're having a craving. Unfortunately the sourness is a bit one note and doesn't have a big funky brett presence to embellish it. It is a solid, somewhat easily attainable sour that doesn't necessarily "wow" a seasoned sour drinker.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer you definatly have to go in with a clear mind,knowing that this beer is like nothing you have ever had before.Rustic nose and you can smell the tartness.First thought was this taste like Rodenbach Grand Cru,and I thought that bottle was bad,come to find out that is the style,who would have thought.So please go in to these beer with the knowledge that they are different.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Poured golden orange with a little head. There's a low to moderate level of carbonation.
S: The aroma is rather sour with some hints of fruit and oak.
T: There's a very sour taste with oak undertones and a somewhat dry, tart finish. The flavor is rather interesting.
M: It feels crisp and light- to medium-bodied on the palate.
D: It's relatively easy to drink (particularly if you like sourness) but I can't see myself having more than one of these in a single sitting.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

P:  Crystal clear golden body with festive carbonation and a thin white head that fades quick.

S:  Super tart vinegar, lemon zest and pickles with a nice powdery yeast with citrus fruits surrounding the collective aromas. Spices and a timid aroma of pet urine,  white grapes and a subtle musty basement aroma. Slight medicinal notes as well.

T/M:  A burst of tart vinegar and lemon oil. Almost like biting into a lemon wedge.  The tartness is overpowering all other flavors. Pale malts and aged wood notes followed by powdery yeast and white grapes. Taste is very close to the nose. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is stingy. Alcohol is more noticeable once warmed but hidden nicely. Finish is dry and lingers white grapes, apple peels and lemon oil.

O:  Tart and crisp. One beer that I prefer to have cold to reduce the puckering tartness. A enjoyable sipper that I wouldn't wan to have too many of.  Due to the price and availability I probably will not have this too often. A nice change of pace from the normal beer that I drink. Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a hazy dark gold color with a smallish white head.
Smells of citrus and mild tropical fruit, lots of earthy wood and a wierd smell that reminded me of green olives? It had a vinuous nuance to it.
Clean tart/sweet taste. Citrus, mainly lemon and tangerine, honey sweetness and a vinuous oak woodiness. Finished bone dry with a musty yeast aftertaste. Almost like a less tart gueze?
Light bodied with a full carbonated mouthfeel.
Once I got past that weird smell this was rather enjoyable. Light, crisp and refreshing.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

11.2 oz. bottle. Not available here in Wichita. Thanks, Rob!

Appearance: This beer was a dull, brassy orange color. It was lightly hazy with a heavy bead. The white head rose up to about one finger and settled quickly. Small patches of foam remained on top due to all the rising bubbles. The lacing was minimal.

Smell: Oddly enough, this Belgian pale had a lot of imperial stout aromas to it. Thickly sweet raisins and plums dominated the smell. There was a small bite of green apple underneath those, and the obvious presence of oak. That was about it. Odd.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, crisp, and dry in the mouth. It bit at the tongue, but in a pleasant way.

Taste: Holy crap, I was not expecting that on the first sip! A strong, puckering sourness attacked those spots on the sides of my neck, making me actually curse out loud. That was awesome. Very acidic and sour, with a light sweetness underneath to somewhat keep things under control. Dry, musty wood was present throughout. The aftertaste contained a little honey, though it was dry overall.

A great beer that completely caught me off guard.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a nice gold color with a rich, foamy white head. Head retention is decent. Some nice lacing.

Aroma is of tart fruits, oak, light mustiness, and some vanilla sugary sweetness.

Wow. This beer borders on mouth-puckering sour right off the bat. The sourness (acidity) is the dominant flavor. Tastes like sour apples. I don't really taste any of the musty funk from the nose, but all of the other components are evident. The oak comes in at the drying finish.

Body is on the lighter side of medium, prickly carbonation. There's absolutely no hint of any alcohol. This beer becomes very drinkable after the initial sour shock.

On-tap at Sunset Grill & Tap

A: Clear golden yellow with a quickly fading, white head.

S: Mostly sour with faint hints of fruit.

T: The taste reminds me of the tiny green sour grapes growing in a friend's backyard when I was a kid. Hopefully I'm not the only one whose had that experience. Also sour apple and pear. Alcohol is well-hidden.

M: Medium body with a nice active carbonation.

D: Very smooth and refreshing.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 25.4oz bottle into a 16oz Belgian glass.

Appearance - 5/5
A beautifuli golden-yellow orange, lots of head. Very clear. Lots of carbonation moving up the glass. It looks like a lively and exciting beer.

Smell - 3.75/5
Sour fruit, perhaps apples and berries. Some light hops, light breadiness, and light spice. The aroma is not very strong though, I would like it to be more intense.

Taste - 3.75/5
Very sweet (perhaps too sweet for some), tart, apples and cherries. Some light spiciness. I'm not sure if it's my glassware (it's a new Belgian glass I just got), but the taste seems to have metallic aspects, which I'm not sure quite fit in this beer. More overall assesment of the taste is that it is good, but could definitely be improved on. The tart flavor is not as complex or as prominent as I would like it too be. Perhaps the slightly excessive sweetness masks some of the tart flavors. Also, I would remove the metallic flavor. Also, this was supposed to be a pale (at least according to the name), but I didn't really taste any of those flavors.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, smooth but quite crisp. A medium amount of medium-high intensity carbonation.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall this was a good beer, but it wasn't everything I was hoping for. The taste was good, but I would tweak it a bit as described above. Also, I would like more of a pale ale aspect to this beer. If you want a sour pale ale, get Jolly Pumpkin's Luciernaga instead of this. If you don't care about the pale ale aspect, this beer will be cheaper than Luciernaga. Also, after looking it up, this beer is classified by BA as a Flanders Oud Bruin, whereas Luciernaga is a Belgian Pale. I guess that explains the differences.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a snifter at Bigby's Pour House.

Finally getting to try this old acquaintance from back east once again. It pours a clear lemon-straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises tart lemon zest, a pinch of coriander, and some rather light and demure cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with the even tarter lemon dominating all else in a pleasant WarHeads type of way. The body is a rather light medium, with a light carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a tasty sour treat, something you don't necessarily come across every day, but something you wouldn't mind indulging in that often.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a rich golden color that is very clear. Has a nice head that is off white with good retention.
Aroma has notes of Chardonnay wine with hints of cider.
Again the taste make me think of white wine initially, then transitions to a cider taste. Very tart.

Overall, this is the firt of this style of beer for me. Definitely a change of pace from the usual IPA or stout.

I think this would be a really good beer for friends that are really into wine.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours clear straw yellow with a medium frothy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is acidic sourness with some tart green apples and a little sweethearts.

The flavor is lots of acidic tart mouth-puckering sourness with some sweethearts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, a nice acidic sour. It's very sour and a little sweet and candy-like Duchesse, but not too sweet.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere