Petrus Aged Pale | De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.

Aged in Oak foeders for over 24 months

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

4.4

Ratings: 2,484 |  Reviews: 716

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Lighter than I expected. Not much head but it's a sour.
S- I really enjoyed the smell. Nice sour/tart smell with a little sweetness followed by a hint of oak.
T- More sour than sweet. Real clean sourness with oak in the finish.
M- Light on the body with lots of bubbles.
O- Great for building the palate up to more complexed sours but more easily attainable than others. This is a beer that helped introduce me to a style I'd otherwise ignore. Thank you Petrus and may I somehow receive one of your wooden casks.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Bright straw color with brilliant clarity and some visible effervescence. Fizzy cap of off-white foam. One of the lighter colored sours I've seen.

Aroma: Classic sour yeast esters with an edge of dryness like a white wine. Some alcohol in there but masked pretty well.

Taste: Starts with an immediate sour onslaught. There is a definite dryness to the palate as mentioned in the aroma. The malt flavor is hard to detect because the tartness masks most everything else. There are some fruity yeast esters akin to dried apricot and sweet tarts. The finish is very lively with a burst of carbonation and leaves behind sour apple for the aftertaste. The 7.3% ABV doesn't come through anywhere and actually seems high given the lack of malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with energetic carbonation. About average drinkability given the nature of the flavor.

Final Thoughts: I'm basically a sour noob but for what it's worth I really liked this one. The amount of tartness in the flavor was higher than I've had recently and it made for an enjoyable drinking experience. I got Petrus Aged Pale as part of the sour power mixed pack and it was a worthwhile purchase that I'd recommend to anyone interested in the experimenting with the style for the first time. Would I drink it again? Yes.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this bottle sitting in the fridge for the past few months. For some reason I was more excited to try the 10 others I had. Was not expecting anything great. Maybe it was because the beer was blonde colored that I thought it would not be too exciting. Well I opened it up and poured into a beer glass. Nice clean looking beer with a slight head that quickly dissipates. Only a tiny bit if sediment found in the last few drops of the bottle pour. The first sip was magic! Was not expecting sour at all as I had no idea it was a sour. Clean taste. Sure, there is not a lot if heavy body but this thing tastes great! Light and clean and goes down well. The 7.3% ABV hits you with a nice bang after a few sips. Can't really taste the alcohol and so it seductively gave me a nice buzz. Smells like apples and vinegar. I love this beer! No wonder why it won the WBA best specialty pale ale in 2011.

It's funny how I let this thing sit in the fridge because I didn't think this would be any good. Goes great with sweet foods and dessert.

Great beer!

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Beer pours a warm orange color with a sticky white head that clings to the edges of the glass. Beer is brite.

The aroma is of sour, funk, and a little bit of barnyard. Not a lot going on but also not overwhelming or obnoxious as some sour beers can be.

The beer is tart and brite on the palate. Beer is slightly fruity, acidity is a mix of lactic and acetic acid.

Mouthfeel is medium, not thin as some sours can be.

Overall a very tasty sour. It lacks a lot of complexity but the beer is so crisp and bright on the tongue that it more than makes up for it. It is also refreshing that the beer is not overly barnyard or funky.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

11.2oz bottle, coded 41162 (??), poured into a Zwanze 2013 glass today, 10/30/2013.

Review #262.

Pours an especially pale straw-copper body forming a decent 1cm white head that disappears fairly quickly. Looks rather effervescent with bubbles rising to the surface, otherwise placid. Not much lacing nor collar to be seen.

Tons of green apple skin tartness in the nose. A good bit of vinegar acidity, touch of earthy funk. But honestly not much else going on here.

Flavour does not taste quite like an Oud Bruin. The grape/green apple tartness is very pronounced. Some acidity is there, but its not exactly teeth-rotting. End of the palate is pretty heavy on the oak and vinegar.

Incredibly drying beer. My mouth is really dry and craving more of this lighter bodied brew. Very well carbonated. Aftertaste is mostly tartness and vinegary acidity with some wood.

Solid blonde sour, not too complex, nothing special. Its certainly not an Oud Bruin in my opinion. Good gateway sour, but its not something I'd lose my mind over.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere