Petrus Aged Pale | De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.

Aged in Oak foeders for over 24 months

Ratings: 2,480 |  Reviews: 716

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to Fantome tulip

A: Light golden honey colored with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a medium lacing around the top of the glass. It is totally translucent and about as clean as you can get which is impressive considering its been in barrels.

S:It smells almost like aged hops, I can tell that they smell like hops but they are about as far away from fresh as you can get as they definitely have an earthy funk characteristic to the smell. There is also oak in there as well it is not powerful but does weill to balance the other scents

T: Wow so I am really impressed here it has a dry sour taste that is very similar to what I would expect from a quality lambic but the funk is there (especially in a farmhouse aspect) but it adds to the flavor instead of overpowering it (probably the making the ale part of the beer much more noticeable). It is crisp and very clean in the finish.

M: This beer is very light considering its abv and goes down very easily considering the same. It has a light puckering sour feel upfront but not over powering. It is thin and somewhat watery but that makes it very drinkable. The crispness and clean nature of the finsh are really helped by the carbonation which makes this feel light and refreshing (more so then any sour I have tasted).

O:The appearance and smell for this beer are good but not great the taste and feel however do achieve greatness. It is very drinkable for its higherish abv and maintains a great sour flavor I could drink these for days and normally I reach a limit with sour beers this I wish came by the six pack. I highly recommend you try this especially if you like sours.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not an especially attractive color: dirty blond. Head settles out fast.

Smells awesome! Very tart and fruity. Was not expecting this given the name of the beer.

First sip wows me with its mouth-puckering flavor. Again, not expecting this. But I love it, and it’s probably the most sour beer I’ve had to date. There really aren’t a lot of nuances to this beer, but that doesn’t bother me; I'm really enjoy the sour flavor and find it very drinkable. Despite its oak aging, I’m not detecting it. Carbonation and mouthfeel are spot-on.

I will be buying this one again the next time I’m in the mood for a sour. Very good and highly recommended!

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%