Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Petrus Aged Pale | De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale
4.07/5
Exceptional
Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.

Aged in Oak foeders for over 24 months

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

4.4

firstprev| 2426-2450 | 2451-2475 | 2476-2500  | next → last
Ratings: 2,488 |  Reviews: 716
2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Tasted at 2003 Kempisch Bierfestival in Geel, Belgium...

Appearance: light amber, sudsy white foam (a thin layer), OK retention

Aroma: berry-like tartness, slightly yoghurty, a bit woody, worcestershire sauce

Flavor: citricly sour, slightly gueuze-like, some hints of that horsey Brett character, a bit harsh in the dry finish

Mouthfeel: light body, champagne-like carbonation, acidic

Overall Impression: A neutral beer Petrus makes to blend with their regional offerings. It is also intended for export to the US, though it is not for sale here commercially. That's OK because I'd rather spend my time with a good gueuze instead of this stuff. I ordered this one based on my server's recommendation, but I wished that I had disregarded him instead.

Light golden color with a full pillowy off-white head, good carbonation, and sporadic lace. Sour aroma dominates with some noticeable oakiness. Sour lambic-like flavor in the forefront. Any fruitiness is sour green apples. Medium bodied with a dry acidic finish.

Not sure what style this belongs in so I guess this one is as good as any... think of it as a Pale Oud Bruin.

Per M.J. notes: aged up to 30 months in oak. only pale malts.

(11.2 oz. / 330 ml)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance – Poured a nice, thick, super-light orange with a terrific head that laced slowly down the glass.

Smell – Wonderful sherry-like aroma reminding me of my Alvear’s Cream. The oak scents come out as well. This has a beautiful, sweet and sour bouquet.

Taste – The acidic vinegar starts this one off, giving a slight sting in the mouth. This is followed by the deep sour backbone, heavily laden with table sugar. Towards the end some malt actually comes out. This is a good mix.

Mouthfeel – Exhilarating! This one will wake you up.

Drinkability – I’ll give my bottom dollar to the guy that can chug this bottle. This is a sipping wine (I like it before dinner or late at night). It doesn’t really go good with any foods, IMO. My penchant is to take this style on an empty stomach, preferably while sitting in front of the tube watching the M’s play ball.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok. I'll admit this beer is way over my head as far as my experience with a with a wide range of beers. I had never had anything quite like this. the yeast yields a near cider fruit flavor. the mouthfeel is still full and the finish is fruity and light with a citric aftertaste. The whole flavor is absolutely out of this world and the drinkability is second to none.

A nice beer. It poured a nice dark amber colour with a littles head. Smell was sweet and sour and with one sip it did not disappoint. Although I was disappointed about the Alc content. I think that if it came in at 8% or higher it may have intensified the flavour a bit.

I like the sourness with alomost a vinegary flavour. Very drinakable and recomeneded.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

A golden yellow, slightly hazy Belgian Ale with a small white head that stays to the finish. There is a sourness to the smell with a bubblegum undertone. The taste is most definitely sour, peppery, with a citrus bitter finish. It is very winey tasting also. It has an overall firmness in my mouth. This ale definitely tastes much better after it warms up a bit, to its proper drinking temperature, when cold it tastes very sour and almost vinegary. It is very complex, and I definitely liked it better as it got warmer, even then it still has a sour taste (it kind of grows on you though, at least it did to me). Not my favorite but, I think this ale is more of an acquired taste.

(source: Great Beers of Belgium)

1.24/5  rDev -69.5%

I'm a BIG fan of all things Belgian (beer that is). I received this as part of the Belgian Beer of the month club, and thought it was the most disgusting thing I have ever drank in my life (even worse than a Caribe Shandy). I can't believe that others have rated it so highly. The beer was so sour that I thought it had gone bad. Apparently I am not a fan of sour beers. I will definitely avoid any others I come across. The Petrus looked halfway decent in the glass, but thats the only positive thing I can say about it.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

The pour is a lightly foggy gold or straw color, the head is massive, and the lace in firm sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. both a brilliant white, but alas they do desiccates to quickly for my liking. Nose is has an unmistakable tartness that borders on being astringent, also there is malt, citrus, and Oak undertones, an interesting nose to be sure. Front is malt, but the massive sourness hits you immediately, the top skimpy, the finish is devastatingly acidic, pertinently hopped, dry as a bone aftertaste. One damn fine beer, I've not sampled a great number of "Red/Sour" beers, but I do like this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

This is a very unique beer in my experience. It's strong, has a musty (but pleasant) smell. It's sweet with a bite. It's very different and at first sip most people are a bit taken back. Try try again.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer you definatly have to go in with a clear mind,knowing that this beer is like nothing you have ever had before.Rustic nose and you can smell the tartness.First thought was this taste like Rodenbach Grand Cru,and I thought that bottle was bad,come to find out that is the style,who would have thought.So please go in to these beer with the knowledge that they are different.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

When I tasted this last night, the first thing I wrote down was, 'This kicks ass!!'

But I've got to back up for a moment. Initially, the smell intrigued me. Very sweet and spicy, with a mix of fruits and a touch of honey and yeast thrown in. I knew this was going to be something different. I loved this beer at the first sip. It has a sour tartness, along with with a fair malt sweetness. The sweet and sour flavors causes a pleasantly bizarre blend that I honestly cannot explain fully. I'll just have to stick with my original, though not very eloquent, statement that Petrus Aged Pale 'kicks ass!!'

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

The first sip I had of this beer instantly reminded me of Rodenbach (for very good reasons). Nicely complex, sweet sour beer in the flanders style. Definitely requires some getting used to, but most people I have shared the beers with ended up enjoying after the initial shock :) As you move the beer around your mouth (as is common with this style), the flavor profile will change fairly dramatically. Drinks almost like a good wine. Petrus Aged Pale is a very refreshing wine-like beer, great for summers spent lounging in a deck chair.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Man oh man, what a beer. First of all, if you're new to the Flanders' style "sour" beers, be prepared for your next beer epiphany. The first sip puckers your face inside out. Don't judge the beer yet, keep going and you'll become hooked. The intermingling of sweet/sour is simply amazing. Extremely complex yet refreshing. Seek it out.

firstprev| 2426-2450 | 2451-2475 | 2476-2500  | next → last