Petrus Aged Pale | De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.

Aged in Oak foeders for over 24 months

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Ratings: 2,480 |  Reviews: 716

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A – Golden yellow. Reminds me of Thatcher’s Gold cider. Resolute and champagne-like in its clarity.

S – Citrus scent is of lime. Sour green apple. Alsace Riesling.

T – Crisply tangy and vinous following the nose. You know, this may not be the finest sour in the world, but it stills amazes me that the brewer can achieve such fruitiness and tartness without the contribution of actual fruit. Tastes like unripe white grapes in a good way.
M – I’ve always said that this beer reminds me a lot of champagne and I’ll stand by that. The fizziness is perhaps not as pronounced and it probably has a sturdier body, but nonetheless there is a similarity.

O – Complexity may not be the central characteristic of this beer, but the tanginess, tartness and white wine flavours imparted to this beer from its oak aging are clean, crisp and neatly done. This is a beer elegant and assured in its simplicity, and one which I hope will serve as an excellent launch point for exploring sour and wild ales moving forward.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

First dip into the sour world, besides Westbrook Gose. Wasn't really sure what to expect, but I was really impressed! I found myself wanting to smell this thing forever before I tasted it. Sour green apples were prevalent, followed by a wine or maybe white wine vinegar aroma, with a slight mustiness. The complexity of the taste is a totally new experience for me. It follows the aroma to start with, but the sour green apple skins quickly give way to a funky woodsiness, then the hops show through on the finish with a little grapefruit, along with a slight bitterness and vinegary aftertaste that makes me want to keep drinking.

My wallet is going to hate me soon trying more sours.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25