Wittekerke | De Brabandere

good
good
Read the review
WittekerkeWittekerke

De Brabandere
bavik.be

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2002

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance - Quite ordinary for a white, pale and opaque, but not much head or lacing and low carbonation activity. Looks lazy.

Smell - Lemony and some grassy notes, not really any wheat or spice or even other citrus.

Taste - Lightly sour lemon up front and fades away. Slight wheat aftertaste but nothing I'd call a 'finish'. I don't know, this is awfully basic for a style where the complexity several elements of citrus, wheat, and spice are standard and expected. If you love lemon peel you might want to try this but with respect to the witbeer style this is severely lacking compared to others I've tried.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with a slight carbonation bite. Slightly watery finish.

Drinkability - With this flavor I don't really want another one. For lemon lovers this could be worth a try but its not my thing.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours a bright orange/gold with a small head that dissipates and leaves some traces of lacing. Brighter in color.

S: Mild citrus notes and really nothing else.

T: Strange. This doesn't really taste like a witbier. At least not similar to the majority of ones I've had. I've had several different Witbiers, and they all have very similar characteristics, but this one seems to stray away from that. A strange sourness that it off-puting. Fruity.

M: Highly carbonated and crisp.

D: Glad I tried it, but I would not drink another one. It seemed to fall between a Belgian white and a fruit beer.

Serving type: can

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a very pale yellow, more standard wit colours, with a fair white head.

S: Lemon meringue, mandarin orange, pasta al dente, some residual sugar in the nose.

T: Orange predominately with light coriander and some cake batter cream.

M: Spritzy, crisp, light-bodied.

D: A tad sweeter than most wits and a good flavour. I quite liked this one, I haven't had it in the longest time, I was glad to revisit it.

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%

a - poured a dull light golden color with a one finger thick head into a tulip glass that left a thin ring of lace until about halfway through.
s - yeasty breadiness with a hint of citrus.
t - grainy and bready with some lemon tones.
m - thin.
d - very good.

3.26/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a cloudy straw color, very light. The head was extreme but dissipated to about a half inch very quickly.
Smells of esters hardcore. A little bit of floral to it but combined with the esters does not come through very much.
Tastes light but with a bit of bite to it. Starts off seriously smooth but ends with a bit of a rough taste to it. Nice yeast taste however.

Not a bad beer but I would prefer to try it in a bottle to see if its any different.

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%

A wit in a can, how cool is that?! 12 ounces with a freshness stamp of 18-12-2010 on the bottom. Pours an extremely pale yellow color with plenty of haze and a small, fluffy white head. Pretty standard appearance for the style.

Lemony aroma with not a whole lot of coriander. There is some wheat tang along with, oddly enough, cinnamon and cloves.

Flavor is spicy lemon rinds, with quite a bit of cloves and licorice. Wheat graininess is there aplenty but it seems to be missing the creamy body and mild sweetness found in many witbiers. Drinkability is high and would be easy to kill a few of these in a sitting. Not bad, but it is hard to pick this over a hoegaarden at roughly the same price point per sixer. Still a fun beer to try though and would make a good canned choice for a beer to float the river or chillin' on a beach.

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Pours a bright orange/gold with a small head that dissipates and leaves some traces of lacing. Much brighter in color than most witbiers I've had.

S: Mild citrus notes and really nothing else.

T: Strange. This doesn't really taste like a witbier. At least not similar to the majority of ones I've had. I've had several different Witbiers, and they all have very similar characteristics, but this one seems to stray away from that. Different can be good sometimes, but I don't think it quite worked here. This one almost reminds me of Tequiza, because of a funky lime finish, similar to it. It's like this is a witbier/adjunct fruit lager combination.

M: In regards to mouthfeel, this one does follow the aforementioned majority of witbiers by being highly carbonated and crisp. Easy to drink, goes down nicely. Refreshing for a spring or summer day.

D: Because I can't seem to shake the feeling that I think I'm drinking Tequiza, this one isn't a brew i would re-visit over and over again. For a once in a while thirst quencher, perhaps, but not in the top ten of witbiers that I've had.

3.01/5  rDev -15.7%

I've seen this beer several times, but never got around to trying it. Thought I would finally give it a chance.

A: Poured a lovely hazy, pale yellow with a thick, frothy foam head. Head retention was very nice and there were some particulates visible in the glass.

S: What? This doesn't smell like the witbiers I'm used to. Very subdued lemony citrus, and even fainter on the wheat. I think there were even some grain aromas in there, odd.

T: Pretty bland for a witbier, especially when compared with beers like Hoegaarden. The citrus and wheat are there, but they are very subdued. As another reviewer had mentioned, it's like a "witbier light." By no means displeasing, but I expected more flavor.

M: Rather highly carbonated, even when poured, which to me lends it an air of cheapness. Definitely has some body though, and feels nice on the tongue.

D: Overall, it is refreshing, but to me does not live up to what a witbier can be. Rather disappointed I must say, but at least it's easy to drink. If I had to do it over again, I think I would pass this one over and get something else.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance- Hazy, almost milky, pale yellow/gold in color with a creamy white effervescent head. Slowly dissipates to a thin film with some lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. Healthy dose of yeast sediment in this brew.

Aroma- Loads of fruitiness up front, bananas stand out with a clovey yeastiness. Hints of baked biscuits and slightly tangy citrus are also present.

Flavor- Very similar to aroma with hints of lemony citrus. Slightly sweet, but very refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel- Effervescent! Refreshing and very thirst quenching. Fruitiness lingers with citrus flavors. Very light body, medium-high CO2. Moderate residual sweetness.

Overall- Pretty good for style, but a bit too fruity and not quite enough of a yeasty/wheaty bite that I would like for a Wit. Still quite tasty and a great summer beer that I may bring to Bonnaroo with me this year!

3.75/5  rDev +5%

A very large Billowy head follows the pour. Holding this up to the light, you get a unique pale yellow with all kinds of bubble action. The frothiness is very white and has excellent retention. The lacing is very good. Overall, this is a fun beer to see.

The smell of this beer isn't that great. Lots of lemon and a bit of musty basement.

I notice a sour taste at first that transitions to a lot of lemon. This is a very sweet drink and drinks almost like watered down lemonade...in a good way. An ideal beer for a warm summer day.

The finish is quite dry and after a while of drinking this, my mouth still feels lemony.

This is an ideal session beer for beer enthusiasts. Belgian beer pong anyone?

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Appearance: Poured an extremely pale hazy yellow. This is probably the closest to white I've ever seen in a beer. Sitting on top the pale brew was an enormous four finger rocky head. It stuck around until the end and left some large splotchy lines of lacing.

Smell: If only the trend continued from the appearance. The aroma is extremely muted. It's sweet with some traces of orange peel and what I'd swear is adjunct grain. I'm not accusing the Belgians of using adjunct in their witbier, but something about this is replicating the corn induced sweetness of an adjunct lager.

Taste: This tastes like witbier light. All the usual suspects are here, they've all just been turned down a couple notches. A dash of orange peel, a dusting of coriander and the slightest suggestion of wheat malt towards the end. The same adjunct mimicking sweetness is present from the smell. Speaking of adjuncts I swear I'm picking up a bit of metallic vat in this.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body with a bit of creaminess. Carbonation is pretty much spot on. Definitely enjoyable in this regard.

Drinkability: It's not like I had to choke this down or anything. It was a decent beer, but in all honesty I wouldn't bother with it. There are other examples of this style that are readily available and superior.

2.92/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours an actual whitish color that is as opaque as a snowy day. A two finger creamy head forms that stays around nicely. This is a good looking Wit, though quite a bit of debris floats around it.

S: Some citrus, that is about it. The aroma is extremely muted in this one.

T: It has a steely metallic overtone that I usually get with some macro brews, this happens to dominate. While I drink it, I can get passed the metallic flavor to a point, but I am left with a rather bland and watery mediocre *light* beer. This tastes like bud light with a hint of bitter orange, coriander, and a tinge of un-malted wheat extract added for good measure.

M: Ever so creamy and well carbonated. Shame about the taste.

D: I can finish this 12oz can, but I won't be purchasing this one out of the "steel" can again. Too much metal going on for me to drink this one.

O: A metallic mess, avoid at all costs in the steel can.

2.92/5  rDev -18.2%

It pours with an out of control head that almost spills out of the glass. Crazy looking carbonation bubbles mixing with the yeast creates an amusing visual when waiting for the head to shrink. Color is foggy yellow. The smell is a bit floral, and a little sour. There is also a hint of fruity yeast. Taste begins with a fruity yeasty taste that leads to a mild sourness. The finish is quite yeasty. The carbonation was a little excessive in the beginning but went on the flatter side quite quickly. Overall an ok Witt that was quite reasonably priced. Not the best Witt but a very drinkable average Witt.

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%

The owner of the grocery store where I get most of my beers is a buddy of mine, and he gave me a heads up when he got this beer in.
Pours a dense, creamy, head, that dissipates rather quickly and leaves little lacing.
An attractive, opalescent, greeny-gold, color.
Strong aroma, with a clean, flirtatious, perfumy fruitiness and a faintly herbal tartness.
As far as taste goes, I enjoyed it. But, then again, I love witbiers. The body is light but smooth. The flavors are rounded, subtle, complex. At first it seems dry and spicy. However, the more the beer explores the palate, a creamy sweetness reveals itself.

11.2oz bottle

Wonderful in appearance, pours a very hazy pale yellow color with a small fluffy white head. Rather light aroma, some faint spice and lemon skin. Light in body a bit sharp around the edges, well carbonated, refreshing and highly drinkable. A value Belgian Wit for sure.

3.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Had on tap at Capital Alehouse in Richmond. Very pale, very cloudy yellow with about 3/4 inch white head. The smell was fairly weak and breadier than I was expecting. The taste was very refreshing. I could sit and drink these nonstop. The taste was wheaty, almost to the point where it was more like a hefe weizen than a witbier. There was a very strong citrus taste toward on the finish that got stronger as the beer warmed. Nice balanced carbonation. The mouthful and drinkability were both great. Again, I could sit and drink these all day.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Wittekerke

Purchased at WFM as a single. Stamped 12/18/2010 on bottom of can.

A: Poured from an 11.2 oz can into an exact 12 oz pint glass. This one settled a cloudy, pale yellow with tiny particles of sediment floating throughout. Just under a finger of head dissipated with a few swirls.

S: Dirty earth, in a good way. Smells natural and genuine, the way a Belgian beer is supposed to smell. I want to drink it. Hints of lemon zest with a nutty thing happening in the back of the nose.

T: Not the best wheat beer, but far from bad. I definitely got some lemon zest on the front of the tongue. The finish contains lots of earth and some kind of spice that I couldn't put my finger on...nutmeg maybe?

Drinkability: Could probably drink 4 without getting tired of it; any more than that would be pushing it for me.

Value: I paid $1.59 for a can, as a trial beer it's worth that price. I've seen it in six packs for around $8.50 and at that price, I'd say it's a decent value but not great. I have to wonder if I'd ever choose this over a decent hefewiezen priced at a buck and a half less. I doubt it.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a super cloudy pale yellow with a thin white head. Smells strongly of a Belgian yeast strain. Taste is very light and grainy up front, but the middle and finish have nice Belgian yeast esters. Very little spices though. Mouthfeel is good, nice low carbonation. Drinkability is good, light and refreshing. Overall a nice beer, though a touch bland.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Poured with a huge fluffy white two finger head that had excellent retention. The brew is a cloudy pale yellow color. Decent lacing.

S - Big wheat nose with a bit of citrusy fruits, lemon I think. A little spice as well.

T & M - Medium wheat body with the lemon citrus twang I smelled in the nose. Not much in the way of spices. Fairly creamy, even though the carbonation was on the moderate to high side.

D - Not the best Witbier out there but I could see drinking a couple of them.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Light bleached blonde, the whitest cloudy white ale I've ever seen. Smooth creamy white head that leves plenty of fine lace on the glass. The nose is orange candy, wheat malt, vanilla and coriander. The flavors are milder than the nose suggests but the same, orange peel, Belgian spice and wheat. The mouthfeel is pretty thin for the style and highly carbonated with a slight asprin bitterness in the finish. A nice beer but not in the same league as the best of the style.

3.36/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked up a single at PHP in Brookline. Poured into an Ommegang Witte glass. Very carbonated, you can hear the head crackling like Rice Krispies. Hazy yellow color. Average smell, faintly grassy. Taste was just slightly above average. Had some nice coriander and lemon taste, but it was very muted. Mouthfeel was thin and a bit soapy. Easy to drink, smooth, and low abv makes it goes down without thinking. Not much to this beer, just kind of a run of the mill witbier that quenches the thirst but doesn't blow me away.

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a pint glass; hazy golden with less than a finger of white head. The smell was one of lemon, orange, and feint allspice. The taste was more intense, with the spiciness surprisingly more prominent than the citrus. Spritzy, medium body; a nicely spicy session beer.

3.66/5  rDev +2.5%

I drank this from a can into a wittekerke pilsner glass.

The beer pours a light pale cloudy, almost neon gold with a light white head, ok retention and lacing.

The aroma is light hops and honey.

The taste is light but enjoyable, its kinda of like a better macro American beer. The flavor is good but just not complex.

Mouthfeel is light but highly drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Blue can (11.2oz, 33cl) with light yellow label, from the Make-your-own 6 pack my parents brought back from the States. 'Belgian White Beer' around the shoulder
Pours hazy, opaque yellow with a good size creamy white head. Good looking lace. Typical witbier spice and yeast smells. Light wheat flavor, enough spiciness to give a little boost. Clean and simple taste. Smooth, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Good all around example.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Got a can of this from mymrnngjckt. Thanks Kevin.

Pours a very light golden color, lighter than many macro lagers, with a haze to it and about a finger and a half of white head. Actually keeps pretty well and leaves some nice webbing on the sides.

Smell is on the light side but consists of a light, sweet wheat aroma, a bit of spice and some citrus tang.

Taste is also on the light side but like the smell has a nice light sweetness to it, with a bit of wheat and a tangy lemon note. Not much spice at all, and it feels a bit bland at times, but the flavor isn't bad.

Mouthfeel is very light, with a spritzy, clean feel. It's smooth but a tad too watery.

This isn't too bad, but it's a bit too bland. The flavor is quite good and it's very clean, so if it had just a bit more to it I think it'd be a very good wit. Not too bad, and pretty drinkable, but left me wanting something a bit more.

Wittekerke from De Brabandere