Petrus Oud Bruin | De Brabandere

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Ratings: 1,312 |  Reviews: 591
4.44/5  rDev +21%

It poured with a rich creamy head that as the beer warmed a bit released wonderful scents. One can smell and taste the dried fruits (raspberries, cherries, citrus) and a hint of oak aging on the tongue. The beer has acomplex flavor that lingers on the palate but it is not nera as tart as one would expect. Goes down smoothly with nice texture.

4.44/5  rDev +21%

I really think this beer is the same as the Petrus Old Brown ale I reviewed here:
<http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/2479/?ba=alexatlatx>
So I'll just compare the two in this review rather than simply copy-paste. They have different labels, but similar features.

One difference I find in the Oud Bruin and the "Old Brown," is in its head retention. the head on the Oud Bruin dissipates quickly, while the other beer lasts until the end. The second difference is the aroma. The Oud Bruin has a less fruity and more sulphur aroma. The tastes to me are similar.

Still an excellent beer.

4.41/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +20.2%

8.4 oz bottle picked up from Riverside as part of a mixed sixer. The appearance is that of a standard brown ale, a ruby-tinged, translucent brown. The head and retention is decent, although it eventually recedes into nothing. The smell is very nice, vinous and sour, hints of brandy and cherry juice, and oak….yes, oak. Wow, this beer is not what I expected it all, it almost has the tartness of a lambic. It’s nice and tart, with a sour cherry taste, accompanied by a bit of an earthy flavor. The finish is a sprinkling of a dull, spicy hop and woodiness. The mouthfeel is light and slick with very subtle carbonation. I enjoy these particular flavors a lot in beer so I’m a fan of this one. I’ll definitely pick it up again.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear brown in color with a thick creamy head. Thick lacing developed on th glass through the drink. The aroma was of caramel, malt, and yeast. The flavor was huge. Caramel dominated with a candy like sweetness, but a sour finish added to the complexity. Yeast and mild bitterness were also easily detected.

The mouthfeel was crisp and the caramel and mild sour tones lasted long after swallowing. This was medium bodied and the most drinkable bruin I have had (especially since this was on tap). Exciting until the last drop.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer makes good its escape pouring a deep clear brown, the head is bountiful, creamy in texture and a winsome light tan in color, upon its dematerialization, the lace formed is a tight seal upon the glass. Nose is musty, with hints of molasses, malt and a bit of citrus like tartness; start is mild in sweetness, fair to middling grain presence, and the top light to moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is sternly acidic, tart, quite dry and a magnificent beer.

4.37/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

dark brown with blood highlights,

smells like dark linen sheets of pressed morello cherries...& ginger rum cake with blisters of melting chocolate.
smells sour, tastes soft.
"a cleaned-up rodenbach"
smells like cherry-colored sparklers on the 4th of July.
Even, subtle, cherry juice flavors together with burned graham crackers, chimney and rye cracker tease lightly until the all-too-soon finish of mineral water flushes the palate. Maybe I'm a sucker for the style, but it's a good beer. Watered down vis a vis Rodenbach or Liefmans but soulful nevertheless.

4.37/5  rDev +19.1%

I really don't have any idea what to expect with this beer. This is the first of this style that I have tried. Pours a slightly cloudy reddish-brown color. Not much of a head that goes away fast. The smell is a bit like ketchup? First taste, WOW. I really like it. So smooth. Sour and tart in the beginning with a citrus ending. All beers that have been exposed to wood have a common flavor to me. I like that flavor, especially the oakier flavors.

This beer is amazing. I want more.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours cloudy and and dark--the color of brown sugar. Faint but complex nose offers sourness and a mushroom yeastiness.

Flavors included a pronounced maltyness with a gentle buildup to characteristic sourness associated with the style. Great balance between malty sweetness and yeasty sourness will entertain fans of Flemish Sours. If you are not that much of a fan or are new to the style, this is a great cross-over beer, as it offers lots of complexity and a certain degree of familiar malty sweetness without extreme sourness of many lambics.

I'll be buying this again, and serving it to friends.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Wow, I've yet to see many examples of this style.

Pours a dark brown color with a two-finger head that fades into my glass.

Aroma is a mix of sour grape/apple and barnyard funk with the aroma of oak as well.

Taste is full of sour apple, grape and barnyard. Yes, barnyard. It's never too sour though and the oak doesn't seem as noticeable in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sour flavors and oak. Beer goes down very well though and is very drinkable for the style.

I like this. I rarely see this style around much so it's always a treat to give it a try. Definitely easy to drink and enjoy.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev +18%

A: Dark reddish brown. Good clarity. No head in my flute glass.
S: Dark fruit.
T: Slightly tart, not vinegary. Berry fruitiness, especially cherry and grapes. Sweetness low, which saves it from the fate of the dreaded sweet-sour Flanders, and makes it quite drinkable.
M: Highly carbonated. Light body.
O: Very drinkable. I liked this one a lot. It might not have been super complex, but it was very well balanced and pleasant to drink. Comparable to Bellegems, maybe someday I'll have to do a blind tastings.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

Saw this on the menu at the Beer Bistro, Toronto. Thought I'd dip my toe into a style im not too familiar with - and the cheaper price of this bottle is attractive.

A: Looks great. My server poured into a tulip and and made a nice head that stuck around a decent amount of time. not much lacing but its very inviting.

S: VERY fruity I thought. cherries and raspberries mostly I suppose. As it warmed up the sour notes began to sing. Not being experienced with these beers I wasent sure what to expect. I suppose this may a good one to start with since the sourness isnt really that pronounced.

T: Follows the nose quite well. Hops are more present in taste. I really began to appreciate the tangyness of this beer as it warmed. very fruity and very delish.

M: Quite light and refreshing.

D: Id certainly like to have a few of these. Very complex yet not overpowering

What a great beer...I'll be drinking this again for sure.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

A beautiful pour, nice light brown color with a reddish tint. Smell is amazing, musky and fruity with a sour note that is well balanced with the prune and raisin malt aroma. Sourness in the flavor is very nice and complex. Malt is in back but provides a nice sweet balance to the sourness. Surprisingly the oak character doesn’t come through a lot, not nearly as much as rodenbach. A very nice and drinkable sour brown.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

I'm honestly not entirely sure that I'm reviewing the same beer as some of the other reviewers here. For me, this was one of the best beers of a 2+ month stay in the Netherlands, although I will admit that I haven't quite acquired a taste for the Hoegaarden, de Hemel, or Westmalle types yet.

Unfortunately, this review comes several days after the beer; but, I will have another tonight and update the review tomorrow. I just couldn't stand to let the attacks against this fabulous drink go unchallanged.

Appearance is a dark, almost coffee-ish brown. Little-to-no cloudiness, 1" thick head that recedes to just a film.

Smell is strongly of cinammon, hint of nutmeg, leather, fresh-brushed horses... really quite nice.

Taste is almost like a flemish red. Bit of tang, lots of herbal-spice notes, fairly complex.

No complaints about the mouthfeel, that I can recall. Fairly low carbonation, perfectly agreeable. Same for drinkability; overall, a great beer. Not one to be taken lightly or rushed, but it rewards a pensive consumption.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer has a great aroma. Really nice and funky. I get a hint of Brett farmyard funk and a good dose of lacto sourness in the nose. Really kind of a let down when you drink it then. Not so much the taste, which is good, but the mouthfeel. Very thin. But I had to give it a 4 because oud bruins are supposed to have little body. They're supposed to be thin and dry. But still, I feel something is lacking in such a light beer.

The sourness is fairly subdued, but still the dominant flavor component in my opinion. Some Brett funk in the flavor. I get some shallow, fruity notes, maybe sour cherry? I know there aren't any cherries in there, but there is something vaguely cherry about it. I really like the light Brett flavors. This beer is starting to grow on me. I've been slowly workin on a case and now the dry complexity is starting to stand out to me more and more. I like this beer a good deal.

Pretty drinkable really. Dry enough to never be cloying, yet flavorful enough to keep you interested.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

I was excited to crack into this one as it came in a small 8.4 oz. bottle. I was expecting great things from small packages. The label claims the beer has been aged 2 years, interesting enough. Anyway, it poured with a pure brown look, nothing more or less. It smells of an old fruit covered cask, yum. I immediately sensed some candy-like aspects on contact. Sparkling sweet overtones layers nicely on a dull subtle cherry wood essence. This is a well planned, top notch brew.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

Dark brown colour that looks almost black at some angles but has burgundy red edges where a bright light glows on the other side of the glass. One finger light brown head, bubbles disappated quickly but the surface remained wispy with good lacing. A swirl regenerated the head but little by way of visible carbonation. Smells of dates, figs, molasses, vanilla. The taste is sweet and sour, fruit cake, malt, tempered bitterness, nicely balanced. There is a rich mouthfeel that had a very smooth texture and a gentle finish of stewed apples and prunes. There was a degree of complexity here that I quite liked, I'll grab another of these next trip to the LCBO.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured very smooth, dark brown almost leather appearance with an off white frothy head, there was slight lacing around the glass.

Smells, somewhat fruity and milky sweet

Very smooth taste, sour lactose and bits of fruity sweetness

Light and balanced, not very carbonated

A fantastic beer, Rich and aromatic, very pleasing for speacial occasions.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Dark reddish-brown body with high clarity. Slight off-white head that has average retention.

S - Rich esters and mild malt. Esters akin black cherries, prunes, figs, and raisins. Sour and vinegary scent present. No hop aroma.

T - Fruity esters at first, including black cherries, prunes, and figs. Caramelized malt backing the esters. Low spice phenols accentuate the palate. Definitely a sour character after the sweetness, but not unpleasant. No hop flavor and hop bitterness is absent. Low diacetyl.

M - Medium body, not much carbonation.

D - A fruity, malty brown ale.

---

Bottle claims aged 20 months, but palate doesn't quite have synergy as thought.

4.31/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not as sweet as Monks Cafe, not as sour either. Dark fruits and rubber notes.

Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere