Bavik Pils / Lager | De Brabandere

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2002

Reviews: 178 | Ratings: 326
3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

So it's midweek and my beer collection is at a premium in my fridge. So I grab this one. If I recall correctly, it was part of a "Beers of the World" gift box I got for Christmas. I can't discern any other kind of freshness info.

It pours a pale straw color, very very clear. It was a nice head but it didn't last, it laced ok though.

Scent of pale malts mostly, with faint grassy hops and something citrusy.

Crisp slightly lemony flavor. There may be some of those hops there. I'm not picking up much though.

There are some beers in my fridge that I'm only going to drink when I absolutely HAVE to. This was kind of one of them but I think I chose well. It turned out ok.

3.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pale straw with a small head. No lacing - Pilseners should have lacing!

S - Some noble hops and a light malt. A faint pear-like fruity aroma - very mild though.

T - Noble hops with a bit of faint light malt and a mild slightly earthy pear juice - the peariness is probably from belgian yeast working on the combination of light malt and noble hops.

M - A tad high carbonation, medium bodied and a bit refreshing.

D - Alright. It is a pilsener. I am not really a pilsener fan, but it is better than most of them for sure.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%

A creamy drinkable and tasty lager, with some yeast in it. A find at Eagle Provisions in NYC. Yellow with some cloudiness in it, some white head and drops of lace. Smooth drinking. Offset some spicey food. Smartly malted, a versatile beer.I think this beer is underated

3.01/5  rDev -9.3%

11.2 oz can.
5.2% abv.

Crystal clear straw/yellow. Very minute specks of yeast visible. Frothy, white head with a surprising amount of lacing.
Grassy, light herbal hops. Subtle aroma of spices, malt, and lemon.
The flavor is also slightly grassy, with light overall body..and plenty of pale malt character.
Certainly not bad for a euro lager. In fact, I think all euro lagers should be available in cans because it would put my mind at ease over whether or not they may be skunked.
Easy to drink..has a smooth, clean taste and little residual aftertaste.

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy (unfiltered) straw in color, with a white head of fairly lengthy duration comprised of tiny bubbles, rocky on top. The nose definitely says "pilsener," and dare I say "dry pilsener"? The impression I get after the first sip is that it's a less than typical malt profile; I'd say "more complex than your day to day Macro Lager" but that would lack specificity, so I'll err on the side of laziness at any rate! Flavour is a touch sweet and a touch sour, with a nice lingering hop bitterness. Fuller-bodied than most, and not-quite creamy, but again, with more character than a Miller Lite ("a true pilsener") or a Warsteiner. For some reason this actually gives a more ale-like impression, perhaps dueto the local Belgian malts? Sorry if I'm grasping at straws, but for a reasonably average lager beer from a larger-production brewer this has a lot more going for it than the 79 rating would have you believe. Finish is dry, just as the nose indicates. It is not sharp as per hops, however, but rather soft on the palate and finish ala Jever Pils (and sorry if the comparison brings up an entirely different recipe/animal, but the comparison is worth noting here.)

A well-balanced if not outright complex beer, Bavik Pils will nonetheless entice few of the "Joe Six Pack" crowd into Trading Up, nor will others (including both those who crave Crafts and those who favor Premium Macro Lagers) take a chance. Why? It is priced and packaged toward the Premium/Import segment, particularly in terms of cans -- compare it price and value-wise to the 500 mL cans of Hollandia, Okocim, and Tuborg, and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Bavik Pils is firmly in line with the older, more traditional (often -but not always- unfiltered) Lagers and Pilseners of Central and Eastern Europe, many of which have recently been imported in some numbers for the first time in years. So if you've got a sense of adventure and don't mind spending two bits more than your average sixer of Beck's or Saint Pauli Girl, this is well-worth checking out!

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

From an 11.2oz bottle with no freshness date, it pour a pale straw color. The three-finger head is large and creamy, forming a stiff foam dome extending beyond the rim of my pils glass. It shows great retention and strands of lace cling in web-like patterns.

The smell is of grain and hops, with a bit of lemon peel and strong herbal notes. The flavor profile follows the smell, and the hops aren't overbearing.

The mouth is light and clean, and after a burst of bitter hops, actually gets creamy on the end. This is a very drinkable brew, even if it doesn't really posess a wealth of personality.

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a dark straw color with a white rocky head. Moderate carbonation.

Aromas of fresh white bread, grassy-herbal hops and some mustiness.

Medium bodied, peppery mouth feel.

Started with modest bready malts then a rush of herbal-woody hopping to give good balance....light vanila tones...crisp clean finish that goes dry and slightly bitter.

Not a great pilsner but a good one and a variation on the style that is unique.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A light golden color with a quater inch head that forms, with visible carbonation. The surprising scent of floral hops hits my nose, folowed by some roasted barley, but a pleasant aroma. The taste, what happened to the hops, a very malty, mild flavor. There was no sign of the hops in the taste. Watery, a very thin mouthfeel, with a slight tingle from the carbonation. Overall, the smell was nice but it seemed to slack off after that surprise.

4.35/5  rDev +31%

Served in a Bavik pilsner glass.
A very light golden coloured beer with a rustic bubble.
Nice white head with round shaped lacing on the glass. Fresh and creamy on top.
The scent is German hop and oxidised.
Soft and satisfying taste, very refreshing. This is how I like my pilsner. Dry, hopped, bitter and not sweetened. Well hopped with a nice bitterness. Fresh grain after a rain storm, the sun brakes through. Malt after tones.
The mouthfeel is semi-dry. Medium thickness, a bit creamy.
Aftertaste is bitter dry, a bit sticky. Lingers on.

Great Pilsner.

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%

I recognize this beer from the shirt I got my Dad from Belgium when my brother and I went to Europe (and drank it dry) back in Sept 2000. The last day we had to run out and buy gifts all hungover with our last few bucks and my Dad got one of those cheezy "Cheers from Belgium!" shirts with forty or so bottles on it. Anyhoo..

Head and color are subpar but the lacing is sticky and resilient. Nose is grassy with weak hop wafts. A touch of spice maybe too.

Mellow, refreshing taste with nice mouthfeel but slightly watery body. Finish is decently dry. Pretty decent attempt at the style.

3.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pale maize topped by a large, fluffy, snow white head. The upper surface is packed with big, slowly popping bubbles that leave 'bubble ghosts' on the glass. The beer looks exactly like a pilsener should look and delivers a fantastic head/lace combination in the bargain. A good start.

The nose is decent, maybe a little better than that. Noble hops rule, but could be brighter and fresher. I'm guessing that Saaz make up the majority, if not the entirety, of the hop bill since the beer smells especially grassy and somewhat spicy. For some reason, I like sniffs 6-10 better than sniffs 1-5.

Eh, this isn't such a wonderful version. It tastes a little Euro pale lagerish; always a danger when a pilsener isn't especially well-crafted. There's a solid pils malt component, with more sweetness than the style usually evinces. The hops aren't prominent enough, which is the biggest reason why I'm reminded of an EPL.

Still Saazy, but not snazzy. There's no brightness, no zip, no zing-a-ding-ding. On the palate, as in the nose, grassy and spicy are still the characteristics that are most notable. I'm trying to detect lemon peel and may have found a shaving of citrus zest down deep. Untoasted grain makes more of a splash on the finish than do hops; a definite no-no.

The body is middle-of-the-road in term of heft and the mouthfeel is fluffy, soft and sparsely carbonated. I don't often request more bubbles, but it would help here by providing some energy that the beer otherwise lacks. Offensive? Drinkable? Tasty? No, yes and not really.

The history of Brouwerij Bavik and of this particular beer is fascinating. Too bad Bavik Pils is anything but. It's an decent little lager, but there are scores of German, Czech and Belgian pilseners that have it beat any day of the week. It isn't really worth your time unless you're a 'pils popper'. Probably not even then.

3.27/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm afraid I couldn't see the beer through the can, and didn't have any opportunity for pouring it into a glass as I was drinking it in an alley adjecent to an auto repair shop. I had a notably crisp, clean and lightly grassy flavor - rare for most Belgian pils I've had. I was having me a good old time with a friend, and this beer was the perfect accompaniment for the first warm spring day we spent drinking outdoors. It actually had some body to it as well. It has since gone up in price by two dollars per six pack/ cans at my local shop. I think I'll switch to Dale's Pale Ale in the can for a dollar less.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

appearance: straw golden lager, slightly hazy, zero carbonation. Fluffy white head with serious lacing and staying power.

smell: grassy, hoppy, slightly metallic

taste: meh. this is why I don't normally drink beer out of a can. Tinny and dry to the palate, with some notes of grassy hops and light malt.

mouthfeel: prestandard for a pilsner - thin, vanishing instantly on the swallow

drinkability: certainly a nice summer quaffer, but at $7 for a sixer of cans, there's better value out there.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

Clear gold ...lively head reduces quickly to a film.
Smells like a pils for sure. Nothing noteworthy.
Tastes pretty good. A little sweet honey-like malt with some zesty hops. Finish is malty...with a final hop bite-aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is light...carbonation is high.
Fairly drinkable. Worth a try if you like pils.

3.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Clear, pale gold in hue, it is so sickly! Massive white head, there is at least four fingers of foam. Impressive head retention, the rocky mass hardly subsided after a few minutes. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized. This is a dull looking beer.

The nose is pungent, at times sulfur is very vocal but I also smell DMS and some earthy-grassy-hay-lemon hops. I do like the nose; it smells (more or less) like a German Pilsner should and yet it is Euro Lager-like as well. Not much malt in the nose. Clean. Simple but inviting, mild potency after the initial blast but like I said, it is inviting.

The palate is a tad blander than I was expecting. The nose had me thinking this was going to be tastier. I found the palate to be spicy with almost a kiss of rye, earthy-lemony-grassy hops. Moderate bitterness but it works. Crack malt kisses, not much more. It has a faintly sweet finish. This beer is growing on me. It isn’t great but it does have a nice compact flavor core. I like the pungent hoppiness mixed with spiciness and sweet notes. I’d call this simple but friendly and quite likeable. Nice.

Medium in body; the lively carbonation creates a refreshing and agreeable mouthfeel. I could see this beer working well with spicy food!

I could also see this beer working well on a hot day. It is more flavorful than BMC and its ilk. Plus I can buy it in cans fairly cheap. I have no qualms drinking this! I purchased my bottle in Council Bluffs, IA. I think I’ll have to get more.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

A well made German Pils. Poured out to a hazed light yellow color with a medium head of foam that dissipated rather fast. A good amount of lace was present, and streams of champagne-like bubbles surge toward the surface well after the initial pour. Aromas of light malt and hops, with some grain and sweet corn notes. Very fresh. Taste is light bodied and very quaffable; malt, corn, dry hops, subtle notes of hay and sweetness. Mouthfeel was slightly bubbly, but otherwise forgetable. Good drinkability. Very refreshing. Worth trying.

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%

I got this at the Preservation Pub here in K-town.

Poured a blondish bright yellow with a medium to thick white head. Good lacing throughout. Smells strong of hops but I detected an olive-like scent. Taste was surprising as it was very fruity and for a light beer definately worth a try. The mouthfeel was subpar but overall a beer one could enjoy on a night of heavy drinking for it's lightness and flavor.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Hey, this isn't bad. Very pale and light bodied. Nice grassy hop aroma, very consistent with Euro pils. Medium-low bitterness. Medium-high carbonation with big white head and great lacing. Probably one of the best beers I have had in a can. Better than Heineken cans, and OBVIUOSLY better than Bud, Miller, etc.

4.66/5  rDev +40.4%

This is the only Light beer, I think I can drink. For a Pilsner, it's one of the few that I think travels from Europe, and tastes like your actually Drinking one in Czech. I can drink this from 9Am to 9Pm straight and have zero hangover. A masterpiece in light beer.

Apperance: Exceptional because of it's color, plae with a greenish Hue, the true colors of a PIls
Smell: Slight malty smell
Taste: Excellent and refreshing, lots of Honey noted
Mouthfeel: Perfect Carbonation
Drinkability: See above (all day long, baby)
Belch: Non existent it seems

4.45/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Straw color with a light haze, a nice full white head, very active carbonation, and some lace. Nice grainy aroma with some earthy hop notes. Grain flavors dominate with a nice earthy hop balance. Light-medium bodied and smooth with a dry earthy hop finish.

A solid refreshing Belgian pils and certainly better than Stella from memory but I would like to taste them side by side...

Per Label: "Anno 1894"

(11.2 oz.)

3.75/5  rDev +13%

Had this on tap at Max's in Fells Point, MD. I think they were running a promo as they included a flute-like pilsner glass with Baviks logo on it.

Not a bad pilsner, per say. As far as Belgian pilsners go.

Poured a hazy, bright yellow with a fantastic head. Tickled your nose as you sipped.

Smell was solid and hoppy and very inviting.

Taste was good. It was clean and fresh. Definite malt presence up front. Couple with the hop aroma, the beer tasted good thoughout. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel was solid as well. A little lighter on the tongue than I am used to for this style.

Very drinkable and great for shooting the bull on a hot day. It turned out to be very refreshing.

All in all, not bad. However, there are a host of solid pilsners that I would reach for before I came to this one.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%

selection of the beer-of-the-month club. Poured a pale yellow color with a nice white puffy head that lasted throughout the glass. Smell is slightly sweet with some piney hops detected. Taste is nice and crisp but nothing outstanding. High carbonation gives a mouth fullness that leads helps to make it refreshing. An easy drinker, Best used as an expensive spacer.

3.95/5  rDev +19%

Aroma has a nice spicy-woody aspect to it, along with a slightly grainy note. Not very strong-smelling but probably appropriate for style. The flavor is clean, nicely bitter at the end, and dry, with a mild hop and malt flavor that is pleasant although a little underwhelming. The balance is good in this beer, its refreshing but beefy. Not my first choice but for the style I'd say its pretty good.

2.38/5  rDev -28.3%

11.2 oz bottle with no date, but perhaps a batch#. I am thankful for the fact that I did not spend the money on this beer.

Pours a pale golden yellow witha large head developing in my pint mug (wasn't at home or else it would have been a Pils glass) and heavy bubble action. The beer looks pretty good, but maybe it's just me not liking pale beers as much...

The smell was very minimal with a sweet malty "funk". This same flavor, or lack thereof, continued onto the tongue. Slight fruity flavor, but overall extremely lacking in anything good. This is not how I like my Pilsners.

This beer is extremely thin and seems to water down in the mouth. Again not impressive.

Overall I'm very dis-satisfied with this beer.

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass
Jet ink # on the back label that reads 38299

Pours a golden yellow color. Fluffy white head on top. Better than expected spotted sticky lacings.

Aroma of fresh cut grass, hops and grains.

Very soft and clean on the palate. Grainy sweet mouthfeel with a chalky quality. Sweetness, slight hop profile and grains provide for a clean drinking pilsner.

Bavik Pils / Lager from De Brabandere