Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

poor

% Alcohol by Vol: 4.60
Bitterness Units: 14.0

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 121

I don't know what happened but this beer has changed recently,its not nearly as good as it used to be,it had a more hoppy taste to it before,now it tastes more like private reserve, and I
don't like the new bottle.the green bottle was classic blue boar and they switched to a brown longneck?I am going to have to switch.

1.03/5  rDev -63.1%

This was a fine refreshing beer, never great, but usually great for the price. Miller finally took over completely it seems, and killed it. It doesn't even taste similar. Looks like it's brewed in Milwaukee now--hence the standard brown longnecks and even the cardboard on the 12 pack is now that really thin stuff-- clearly a different plant. They also added Milwaukee, WI on the bottle. This stuff was really nasty-- even the smell, immediately it just smelled like cheap beer. Sad.

1.48/5  rDev -47%

What the heck have you done to your Blue Boar beer? I have never been much of a beer drinker but 2 years ago my daughter introduced me to your GREEN BOTTLE Blue Boar. I loved it right off the bat and have been buying it ever since. I tried 2 half cases of the BROWN BOTTLE Blue Boar and will never drink it again! And neither will my daughter. I don't like the heavy taste and I get extremely bloated off the first bottle or two. Have you changed the recipe to try a 'new and improved' version of this? YUK! The green bottle Blue Boar had such a light crisp sparkling taste to it. My daughter even tried a switch and bait taste test and picked out the brown bottle after sipping them both. We DON'T like it. Sad to say...I'll be trying others beers till I come across something similar to the original Blue Boar. I'm really going to miss you. Sincerely, Carla

1.68/5  rDev -39.8%

I sampled this at work. Why bother with it really, unless your super-psyched about euro lagers. There is no pale ale in this PA... i don't even know if hops are utilized here, and it wouldn't surprise me if corn or some other adjunct IS. Tasted like a watered-down Heineken: and if that's your thing - then so be it.

Doesn't even pass as mediocre. Water is a better and healthier option.

1.76/5  rDev -36.9%

What a crappy beer. Not only was it bad, but it came in a green bottle which made it skunky on top of it all.

This beer poured a yellow color with little head that falls to nothing after pouring it. The nose was skunked. Awful nasty ass skunked beer. I let it sit for a while as well and it still was not good. The taste was pretty much not there. It was kind of like white noise for my tongue. The beer was moderate to thin. Eh. Another dumber from good old Henry. I don't know what this brewery is doing, but its not good. I have one more to try from there and I'm scared.

1.82/5  rDev -34.8%

About all I can say is that this was a pretty plain beer.
The color is very light and dull. Smell is very faint. Taste is skunky, weak and watered down. Hops are barely noticeable. Not much enjoyment here. You could practically get the same with a cheap, generic adjunct lager and probably pay a little less.

I won't be buying this again.

1.83/5  rDev -34.4%

Not a recommended beer here...big skunky smell immediately after opening the green bottle....They call it a pale ale...this site lists it as a cream ale which is more suitable...as a pale ale this would be 1's across the board as it has none of those characteristic...

Clear, golden color...looks like a lager....body is thin...bordering on watery....slick..taste is non-descript....some skunk...some graininess...

Bought it because it was on sale..I should have known better...

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottled 14MAR13

Golden, light, light, yellow. Sheet of white atop and brillantly clarified. Smells like skunk, corn, grain and some bits of soil. Tastes like cheap beer, stronger than a Coors light, but less than say a Rolling Rock. Simple and grainy with little satisfying merits. Thin and moderately carbed with a wet finish that lingers longer than I'd prefer. Seems like a decent pairing with the shitty jack in the box I have beside me.

I went to a friend’s house to watch a football game, and this was in the fridge. I poured it into a pint tumbler, and made a few notes during the commercials.

Pours a pale straw/yellow color, with one finger of while head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing.

The smell is sharp and stale. It smells a little of grain, yeast and malted vinegar. It’s an unusual smell.

The taste is slightly sweet, flat and a little like malted vinegar. It also tastes a bit stale, although I am sure there is nothing wrong with the beer or the packaging. It is an unusual taste.

Mouth feel is thin, sharp and strange.

This is a very difficult beer to describe. It’s drinkable, but has an odd taste. I’d say it’s worth a try, just to experience the smell and taste. I wouldn’t want to drink much of this, nor have it very often, but it is a definite change of pace.

2.01/5  rDev -28%

Pours a five finger frothy white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Starts boring only hints of malt and hops, doesn't taste like any of the Irish ales I've had. Finish is clean due to lack malts and hops. Might be a good lawn mower beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Utah DABC Salt Lake City, Ut. Their site has the ABV at 4.6%.

2.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a nice clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy white head, some nice sticky lacing follows. The nose is skunky with maybe some hops. The taste is slightly sweet, slight hops. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy this again. Also the bottle sez Pale Ale, but it is more of a cream ale, if that's what you want to call it.

2.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Straw-yellow and clear appearance. Odd assortment of skunkiness, malts, and citrus and spice. I don't mind skunky beers like St. Pauli and Grolsch, but this is almost alien. Very thin body. Crisp with boring tones of plain barley malt and honey. Oh well... It gave me a buzz...

2.15/5  rDev -22.9%

I used to drink beers like this all the time. Last night I bought a six pack on a whim and had a few. Was it always this bad? I couldn't believe what a lack of flavor this beer had. Surely it's not a pale ale like the label says. It tastes more like a cheap lager than anything. There was no real hop flavor to speak of, just a drab bitterness like chewing on a clot of wool. Years ago this was my favorite Henry's beer as I recall. Now I can't even remember a time when I actually wanted to drink a beer like this.

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

I sampled this brew at a poker night with my buddies. One of them brought a case of mixed Weinhard bottles for us to enjoy.

A: Thin yellow body with a slight white head and very thin lacing.

S: It had a grainy and grassy profile with a hint of yeasty white bread.

T: The flavors are thin and hard to hold on to. There were flashes of malty sweetness, corn grains, and grassy sharp hops.

M: It had a very thin and light body with a fizzy carbonation and a somewhat dry finish.

D: I missed the "cream" but did not find this terrible...just bland. It didn't have enough flavor or character to entice me to try it again.

2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by OCT0410. Better never opened.

A-Pours a very clear, nearly effervescent, pale golden color with virtually no head or lace.

S-Slightly grainy malt and corn. Bottle indicates it is a Pale Ale, but this is like ordinary adjunct lager.

T-Like fizzy yellow beer.

M-Harsh from too much carbonation. Almost feels like seltzer water.

D-No thank you. This is easily the worst beer I have had in years. The rest is going down the drain.

2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

2.43/5  rDev -12.9%

"There's a box over here labeled Blue Boar," said my sister. "Is that a beer?"
"I don't know, possibly," says I. "Aren't you the guy who should know," asks sis. I saw the Weinhardt name and realized it was my brother's purchase. "Sorry," says me,"it's a little too cheap for my attention."
Actually, I learned long ago that I the Weinhardt line isn't for me and I'd be hard-pressed to purchase it, but I forgot my own beer at Thanksgiving, so this is what I was stuck with...

"Pale" is the operative word, though "ale" is in objection.
Very clear, pale yellow color, faint, swiftly disappearing head...not looking like a pale ale in the least, nothing even remotely attractive.
Nose is very minor, no hops, a whiff of citrus, very spritzy.
On the tongue, and in the mouth, it's a far too fizzy affair, a bodiless offering that offering very little in texture, and throws up none of the hops you'd expect in even the weakest example of a "pale ale" as this bills itself. Faint mouthfeel, dull, dreadful finish. Actually, tastes more like a Rolling Rock...
This drinks down okay, but only if your standards are low. If you really want taste, this is not the way to go. As I said, not even near a decent ale...steer clear, unless you haven't got the dough for better beer, or just don't give a darn.

2.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of sudsy white head, which leaves an unstable sheet of lace around the glass as it slips away. It smells strongly of skunky, musty grain. The taste is sweet grain, mostly corn-like, and skunky, weedy hops. The carbonation is middling, the body on the light side, moderately smooth at best, and it finishes off-dry, the acrid hops taking (or adding) an edge off the sweet grain.

Pale ale, cream ale, adjunct lager? Too much nomenclature confusion over essentially a thinly disguised macro.

2.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Gassy and very thin, somewhat metallic mouthfeel, leaves an unsettled feeling in my stomach...I never knew it was supposed to be a cream "ale" so now I know why my expectations were never met...the "Red Lager" and "Private Reserve" are not much better, they used to do a Porter which was at least mediocre...

2.46/5  rDev -11.8%

Gotta say, this beer let me down. At first it tasted crisp (but weak) without much character I generally enjoy in a beer...but as I continued, I literally felt sick and began to become more and more turned off by it as I continued through the bottle. Definitely not one I would plan on buying again. I'm a huge fan of Henry's IPA, but the Blue Boar, not so much.

(However, a friend of mine loves this stuff, so to each their own.)

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

In terms of cheap ales, this one's not half bad. Maybe it tastes better since I am drinking it at work on my last day there, snitched from the company fridge. Sweet smell of grass with even a touch of bitterness in the hops. The look is ok, but hard to tell since it is being drunk straight out of the bottle. Taste is pleasantly better than expected, but that's not saying much since my expectations were low. Grassy, light sweet malt--maybe saying I can taste some jasmine is doing it more justice than it deserves. It pairs well with the homemade spicy Thai pork curry I brought for lunch. Light mouthfeel.

2.51/5  rDev -10%

Appearance – Light yellow with a thin James Brown head.

Smell – This skunked up my kitchen pretty good. There’s some light grain and cheap sweetness to go along with it, but the funky animal aroma is a real turnoff. The label has a picture of a boar’s head on it. They ought to turn that thing around and show us his backside.

Taste – Very empty and light. It doesn’t taste as bad as it smells, but the fizzy grain flavor just doesn’t cut it. There’s a touch of hops that kind of evens things out a bit, but the corn syrup sweetness kills the finish.

Mouthfeel – The cheap carbonation was helped along by a rather pleasing dryness.

Drinkability – I bought this because it was on sale, but the dollar I saved wasn’t worth it.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Company--Blue Boar Pale Ale--2002 12 oz. Bottle. 5.00% ABV. (3.75 / 5.0) Pale Ale--Green Bottle. Clear thin bright light golden color. Creamy lacy head. Mild floral Pilsner hop front. Crisp smooth slightly tangy light dry sweet butter caramel body. Clean mild hop end. Mild Blonde Ale. Sampled 5/22/2003.

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard’s Blue Boar Pale Irish Ale--2004 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV--14 IBU’s. (3.75 / 5.0) Blonde Ale--Green bottle. Mild head. Clear thin light bright golden color. Mild Pils hop front. Crisp tangy mild dry sweet caramel butter citrus Pils Ale body. Stanky hint. Tart clean mild hop citrus end. Sampled 6/3/2004.

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard’s Blue Boar Pale Ale--New Block Logo--2006 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV--14 IBU’s. (3.25 / 5.0) Pale Ale--Thin head. Clear thin straw yellow color. Missing hop front. Thin mild tangy crisp weak caramel adjunct hint body. Clean refreshing hop spice hint end. Bland Macro Pale Ale. Sampled 12/26/2006.

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company--Full Sail Brewing Contract Brewer--Lat 44--Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar--Irish Style Pale Ale--2010 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV. 14 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Extra Pale Ale. Green bottle. Huge foamy thin short lived billowy white mild lace head. Clear tumultuous fizzy bright thin darkish gold color. Hint of stank. Weak hop light adjunct aroma. Crisp fizzy tingly thin dry light sweet delicate pale pilsner malt malt fruit hint light body. Thin fizzy tangy refreshing mild hop crisp clean somewhat bland end. Sampled 4/21/2011. Purchased for $5.99 at Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 4/21/2011.

2.55/5  rDev -8.6%

Green 12oz into standard pint.

A: half a finger of white head that fell to a sparse cap and thin thin ring. Very clear pale straw colored beer with lots of little bubbles. Looks pretty average I guess.

S: a slight hop character and pale malt on the nose. Not much else going on here.

T: malty with a but of hoppy musk to it. No bitterness. Finishes with a hint of sweetness. Almost dank, which is odd.

M: medium but finishes wet and leaves something to be desired.

O: sessionable, not that great but not bad.

2.55/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - a finger and a half of white, fluffy, quickly-dissipating head over a transparent gold/straw-yellow body; loads of carbonation bubbles

S - grassy hops and corn

T - corn/adjunct grains dominate the palate; grassy and buttery; tangy dry finish

M - light body with high carbonation

O - Had someone handed me a glass of this and asked me to name the style, I would have sworn that it was an adjunct lager. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels exactly like an adjunct. As an adjunct it's ok. As an Irish Pale Ale it's not very good. I would rename this brew "Blue Bore."

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.