Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

1.95/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottled 14MAR13

Golden, light, light, yellow. Sheet of white atop and brillantly clarified. Smells like skunk, corn, grain and some bits of soil. Tastes like cheap beer, stronger than a Coors light, but less than say a Rolling Rock. Simple and grainy with little satisfying merits. Thin and moderately carbed with a wet finish that lingers longer than I'd prefer. Seems like a decent pairing with the shitty jack in the box I have beside me.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

1.03/5  rDev -62.9%

This was a fine refreshing beer, never great, but usually great for the price. Miller finally took over completely it seems, and killed it. It doesn't even taste similar. Looks like it's brewed in Milwaukee now--hence the standard brown longnecks and even the cardboard on the 12 pack is now that really thin stuff-- clearly a different plant. They also added Milwaukee, WI on the bottle. This stuff was really nasty-- even the smell, immediately it just smelled like cheap beer. Sad.

3.04/5  rDev +9.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.5/5  rDev -46%

1.48/5  rDev -46.8%

What the heck have you done to your Blue Boar beer? I have never been much of a beer drinker but 2 years ago my daughter introduced me to your GREEN BOTTLE Blue Boar. I loved it right off the bat and have been buying it ever since. I tried 2 half cases of the BROWN BOTTLE Blue Boar and will never drink it again! And neither will my daughter. I don't like the heavy taste and I get extremely bloated off the first bottle or two. Have you changed the recipe to try a 'new and improved' version of this? YUK! The green bottle Blue Boar had such a light crisp sparkling taste to it. My daughter even tried a switch and bait taste test and picked out the brown bottle after sipping them both. We DON'T like it. Sad to say...I'll be trying others beers till I come across something similar to the original Blue Boar. I'm really going to miss you. Sincerely, Carla

I don't know what happened but this beer has changed recently,its not nearly as good as it used to be,it had a more hoppy taste to it before,now it tastes more like private reserve, and I
don't like the new bottle.the green bottle was classic blue boar and they switched to a brown longneck?I am going to have to switch.

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Green 12oz into standard pint.

A: half a finger of white head that fell to a sparse cap and thin thin ring. Very clear pale straw colored beer with lots of little bubbles. Looks pretty average I guess.

S: a slight hop character and pale malt on the nose. Not much else going on here.

T: malty with a but of hoppy musk to it. No bitterness. Finishes with a hint of sweetness. Almost dank, which is odd.

M: medium but finishes wet and leaves something to be desired.

O: sessionable, not that great but not bad.

3.53/5  rDev +27%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's going to be hard to be completely objective here, as I was born in Portland and grew up in a nearby suburb, and Weinhard's holds a bit of historical pride but here I go...

Bottle is classic Weinhard's style. I'm sure it's changed since Blitz-Weinhard, but the logo and general style remains, along with the raised lettering on the bottle.

As long as they don't change the recipe, and keep using cascade hops, I'll be ok. ;)

Smell out of the bottle is pleasant.

Out of the bottle it's smooth, with a bit of fiz at the back of the throat as it goes down. Notes of corn.

In a glass it's a very clear yellow.

Smell out a glass is sweet. When drinking out of a glass, the hops becomes more noticeable.

Not a whole lot of strength in the lacing.

Fizzy and crisp.

I feel like this beer is meant for tap, not bottle.

Update: With about two inches left in the glass, lacing starts to stick on the sides of the glass.

4.7/5  rDev +69.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love blue boar, but lately the company is putting private reserve bottles with the blue boar label.. Not right.. Herny, what is wrong with you guys.. I have bought 5 12 packs recently with the brown bottles with the blue boar label.. It's not blue boar, it's private reserve.. Come on you guys..

3.06/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance - Pours a clear straw yellow with a fluffy white 2 finger head. Good retention. Resulting lace is thick and somewhat sticky.

Smell - Smells of grainy malt with grassy hops.

Taste - Follows the nose. Malts are semi-sweet and grainy, while the hops kick in with a somewhat bitter grass character. Hints at citrus, but doesn't quite get there. Simple, straight forward flavor from start to finish.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with a bubbly carbonation. Finishes crisp and dry.

Overall - Hmm, I enjoyed this more on a hot day in July than I am tonight. Not a whole lot of interesting things going on with this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.