Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

2.35/5  rDev -15.5%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

4.5/5  rDev +61.9%

2.76/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - pale gold, lots of carbonation

Smell - slightly skunky

Taste - malty, very light hint of hops

Mouthfeel - light, airy

Overall - I was expecting a little more hop flavor from a "pale ale" and the skunky smell was a definite turn off but I didn't dislike the beer. Reminded me more of a Dutch style lager called Heineken than an Irish style pale ale.

2.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Gotta say, this beer let me down. At first it tasted crisp (but weak) without much character I generally enjoy in a beer...but as I continued, I literally felt sick and began to become more and more turned off by it as I continued through the bottle. Definitely not one I would plan on buying again. I'm a huge fan of Henry's IPA, but the Blue Boar, not so much.

(However, a friend of mine loves this stuff, so to each their own.)

3.07/5  rDev +10.4%

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar

Appearance: golden straw, small-medium head, and some good lacing.

Smell: skunky grain and slight hop.

Taste: grain and biscuity malt.

Mouthfeel: medium-light and watery.

Overall:
This is an ok brew. The main thing that stands out the most is the biscuity malt flavor. It is fairly nice, but the rest of the brew is slightly lacking and not very flavorful.

3.03/5  rDev +9%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a clear, clean, bright yellow (almost like a cider) with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention and average lacing.

Oh no! Green bottle alert! I purposely grabbed a sixer from the back of the line to reduce the chances of light skunk. Well, it sort of worked. There was just a bit of skunk, enough to have to gig the brew a half point. Otherwise the beer had a nice grainy background and just enough of a hop presence to be interesting. On the tongue the story was much the same, nice grains, balanced hops and, best of all, no skunk.

The body was light and crisp. Drinkability was very good, the bottle I used to do this review disappeared very quickly. Good thing they sell these in sixers, I was able to crack another. Overall, not a special beer, but at $6 a sixer it's certainly a good budget choice. I'm not sure why this is listed as a cream ale here on BA, it seems to be more of a straight-up Pale ale to me. Not worth seeking out, but worth trying next time your heading over to your macro friends place, maybe you can make a new craft beer lover.

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - a finger and a half of white, fluffy, quickly-dissipating head over a transparent gold/straw-yellow body; loads of carbonation bubbles

S - grassy hops and corn

T - corn/adjunct grains dominate the palate; grassy and buttery; tangy dry finish

M - light body with high carbonation

O - Had someone handed me a glass of this and asked me to name the style, I would have sworn that it was an adjunct lager. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels exactly like an adjunct. As an adjunct it's ok. As an Irish Pale Ale it's not very good. I would rename this brew "Blue Bore."

1.82/5  rDev -34.5%

About all I can say is that this was a pretty plain beer.
The color is very light and dull. Smell is very faint. Taste is skunky, weak and watered down. Hops are barely noticeable. Not much enjoyment here. You could practically get the same with a cheap, generic adjunct lager and probably pay a little less.

I won't be buying this again.

2.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Company--Blue Boar Pale Ale--2002 12 oz. Bottle. 5.00% ABV. (3.75 / 5.0) Pale Ale--Green Bottle. Clear thin bright light golden color. Creamy lacy head. Mild floral Pilsner hop front. Crisp smooth slightly tangy light dry sweet butter caramel body. Clean mild hop end. Mild Blonde Ale. Sampled 5/22/2003.

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard’s Blue Boar Pale Irish Ale--2004 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV--14 IBU’s. (3.75 / 5.0) Blonde Ale--Green bottle. Mild head. Clear thin light bright golden color. Mild Pils hop front. Crisp tangy mild dry sweet caramel butter citrus Pils Ale body. Stanky hint. Tart clean mild hop citrus end. Sampled 6/3/2004.

Henry Weinhard’s, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard’s Blue Boar Pale Ale--New Block Logo--2006 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV--14 IBU’s. (3.25 / 5.0) Pale Ale--Thin head. Clear thin straw yellow color. Missing hop front. Thin mild tangy crisp weak caramel adjunct hint body. Clean refreshing hop spice hint end. Bland Macro Pale Ale. Sampled 12/26/2006.

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company--Full Sail Brewing Contract Brewer--Lat 44--Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar--Irish Style Pale Ale--2010 12 oz. Bottle. 4.60% ABV. 14 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Extra Pale Ale. Green bottle. Huge foamy thin short lived billowy white mild lace head. Clear tumultuous fizzy bright thin darkish gold color. Hint of stank. Weak hop light adjunct aroma. Crisp fizzy tingly thin dry light sweet delicate pale pilsner malt malt fruit hint light body. Thin fizzy tangy refreshing mild hop crisp clean somewhat bland end. Sampled 4/21/2011. Purchased for $5.99 at Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 4/21/2011.

2.64/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Yellow glow with small carbonation

Smell: Bit grassy with a whole lot of skunk notes

Head: Small white head

Taste: Clean and crisp has that grassiness to it

Weight: very light on the palate goes down fast

Finish: Little sweet grainy aftertaste then boom more skunk

Served in a glass.

A: Pours with a fizzy, white and medium head that dissipates rather quickly. Doesn't leave much in the lacing department. Color is pale gold.

S: Quite skunky, at first at least, other than that the usual adjuncts are all I can smell (grains such as corn or rice). Smell is totally underwhelming.

T: Very little bitterness. Flavors are the same as the smell with a bit of citrus but blended well. Ends with a bit of zing. It goes down easy. Not a lot of taste to speak of really.

M: Feels decent for a light-bodied beer. Carbonation is definitely present. Goes down smooth.

D: Drinkability is high from the perspective that it goes down easily, although I gave it an average rating because there isn't much in this beer to make one want another, unless one is unsatisfied with just one bottle/serving.

All in all, seems to fit the style well. This is the second time trying this beer and my memories of it are better than what I've experienced this time.
Overall decent for the style but not my 'cup of tea'.

2.76/5  rDev -0.7%

College beer, before I learned about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Pours a brought yellow color, with a nice white head.

Smells skunky. Not much else to say..

Taste is creamy and sweet. Corny and vegetal, with some malty creaminess. Not a whole lot else going on, except for the skunky finish.

Mouthfeel is ok, about right for the style, but too carbonated for my liking.

Drinkability is decent. If this wasn't skunked it would rank higher,but not much higher, Ugh... For nostalgia purposes only for me.

3.22/5  rDev +15.8%

It's not blue at all! It is kind of a boar though. If it was blue, then its appearance would be much more appealing. But this is a nice, somewhat citrus-tinged beer. I found that it goes great with a meal (Bison Burger & fries) and just has a pleasant taste overall. The downside here is that it has a low alcohol %, yet it is a little filling.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.