Henry Weinhard's Blonde | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's BlondeHenry Weinhard's Blonde

Bitterness Units: 17.7

Added by RJLarse on 02-11-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.31/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.95/5  rDev -3%

2.53/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

2.25/5  rDev -26%

3.04/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

2.89/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Completely transparent orange-ish yellow. Very thin bubbly head formed and fizzed away quickly. Looks quite carbonated.

S- Smells like bread, even some corn. Typical sour lager scent, maybe a hint of orange peel or juice.

T- I have never tasted cascade hops like this in a lager. Some honey, bread, and ginger ale in the middle; lemon-lime soda flavor and feeling as it goes down. An inkling of OJ leads to a bit of sour aftertaste but no adjunct-lager piss.

M- Carbonation almost stings, feels like ice-cold 7-up. Kind of thin, but at least it doesn't leave anything behind but a little fizzy tingle.

D- Could drink it all night, if you like it enough. It's kind of like a less crappy budweiser.

As an ale advocate, I seek lagers that I enjoy, as I am a little more picky with them. This one is not bad: interesting flavor with sweet, sour, and bitter notes, even if it's over-carbonated.

3.57/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is completely white in color. Somewhat soapy look to the head, but not too bad, overall it just looks like your average- not very special at all, kinda looking head. Head retention isn't very good, the head is already down to about a quarter finger. Not sure how the lacing will be, it could really go either way, it looks like it'll be okay though. The body is a hair darker than your average lager which is nice, it has more orange than yellow. Still, it's for sure a light colored beer. Visibility through the beer is lower than I thought it would be, I can still make out the shapes of everything on the other side of the glass, but things are blurry. The carbonation looks like it is through the roof. Overall it's actually not a bad looking beer considering the style, then again blonde lagers generally have a little more time put into them than your average lager. Still, it has a nice color, and it's not completely see through. It looks over carbonated, and the head wasn't that great, but it's not a bad looking beer, and heck, the head left a nice little foamy film on top of the body. The smell is very....unoffensive. In a lot of lagers, especially mass produced ones, you get a very sour, sweet, fake, pale malt smell. I don't like it at all. However in this beer it's nice, the smell is pretty simple and smooth. I get a tiny bit of sweetness on the nose, maybe some sourness, but it seems more from the hops than from anything. Really not offensive at all. On top of that I get somewhat of a creamy sensation, as well as a honey sensation. I say sensation because the smell is so tiny I don't even think I can call it a smell. Maybe even a little flowery smell in here too. I mean it's not a great smelling beer, there aren't any amazing smells, and the smell overall is very small. Still...it's not offensive and it does have some very enticing smells. I'm surprisingly eager to drink this. I'm in between a 3 and a 3.5. Maybe it's because I haven't had a beer in a few days, but damn Henry 3.5. Good smelling beer. For a blonde lager, this isn't half bad. I do get a nice creamy taste in this beer, almost like a cream ale, it's very nice. I also get a tiny sourness to it, but like I said in this case it seems like it's more from the hops, assuming there are any. There is also a sweetness, but not a fake sweetness, a nice sweetness that compliments the creaminess well. There may be a tiny honey flavor in here and maybe a flowery flavor as well. I mean my only real criticism here is that it may be even a little overly sweet (but I really don't mind that at all) and the lack of overall flavor. It just doesn't have enough flavor for me to give it a 4, but it's surprisingly close, and it's a solid 3.5 for taste. I guess ol Henry is growing on me, I dunno. The mouthfeel is actually damn good in this beer. If anything, the carbonation is actually surprisingly low, but it's not too low, and really it's damn close to EXACTLY where it needs to be to be perfect. The body is perfect because it's just a hair above what a normal lager would give you, slightly thicker than average. Really a great mouthfeel. For the style it's close to a 5, but I'm not gonna give it that because I am pretty unsure about the carbonation. The drinkability is through the freaking roof. I mean this beer is tasty, light, and only 5.12%, what more do you need to say, drinkable as all hell! Overall this beer for sure surprised me, I was expecting another average beer, or dud beer from Henry. This pleasantly surprised me, I might even go as far as to say I will pick this up again if heading to a party. Overall there's nothing really that wrong with it, it's a good beer, it just doesn't have enough umph to be a great beer, close to it though.

The appearance turned out to be decent. For the style the body was a nice change from the norm, darker than most and not completely see through. The head wasn't fantastic, but it left a little film. As far as lacing, I didn't get much at all, a few smudges here and there. Really, the lacing (as usual) was a big deciding factor here, good or even decent lacing would give it a 3.5, but bad lacing leaves me with a 3 as my only option. Not a bad looking beer for the style, but the lacing somewhat killed the grade.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

1.83/5  rDev -39.8%

pours a chardonnay color with a 1/8" head that dissipates quickly, extremely light slippery lacing. almost a pure apple juice golden yellow in body with a light amber tint.

very light on the nose, almost a non-existent smell. hops and barley barely present, along with a touch of rice.

tastes how it smells, extremely light and watery to boot. tastes cheap. and lifeless.

standard, backwash, backwater beer. not impressed here after just thoroughly enjoying this brewer's IPA.

don't know much about blondes, maybe it's just not my style. if they're suppose to tastes like pabst or bud light (nothing wrong with those beers), they did a fine job.

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

Henry Weinhard's, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Northwest Trail Blonde Lager--2002 12 oz. Bottle. 5.00% ABV? (4.0 / 5.0) Amber Lager--Clear bright rich golden color. Mild lacy head. Crisp mild floral hop lemon hint front. Smooth tasty light citrus sweet mild toasted caramel body. Clean balanced mild tangy hop end. Unexpectedly nice. Sampled 5/21/2003.

Henry Weinhard's, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard's Blonde Premium Lager--New Block Logo--2006 12 oz. Bottle. 5.12% ABV--17.7 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Blonde Lager. 6-Pack-$5.99. Lacy mild head. Clear thin bright pretty gold color. Mild hop front. Mild creamy smooth crisp mellow caramel fruit hint smooth flavorful lager body. Clean balanced refreshing mild hop smooth lingering malt end. Well made tasty smooth lager. Sampled 2/11/2008.

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company--Full Sail Brewing Contract Brewer--Lat 44--Henry Weinhard's Blonde--Blonde Lager--2010-11 12 oz. Bottle. 5.12% ABV. 17.7 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Fizzy thin no lace white head. Clear very thin bright amber hint dark gold color. Pleasant mild hop fruit hint aroma. Crisp zesty hint of wit spice in delicate dry sweet hint of honey mild fruit ester body. Delicate clean refreshing light crisp hop end. Nice. Sampled 2/10/2011. 6-Pack purchased for $5.99 @ Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 2/10/2011.

3.36/5  rDev +10.5%

Same color as motor oil, pours with a big frothy head.
Almost no aroma, very faint.
Very mildly flavored. What flavor it has is good, I just wish there was more of it.
Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, no after taste.
This is drinkable stuff, a good choice to have something low key to go along with a big dinner.

2.76/5  rDev -9.2%

A- Golden yellow, decent head. No lacing.

S- Very faint, almost none kinda grassy.

T- Average. Tastes pretty much like budweiser, nothing special but not bad eather. Its watery and thin.

D- Goes down smooth as water, very clean tasting.

Overall its worth a try but its nothing too interesting or special.

Served in a glass.

A: Pleasant yellow hue to it. Decent amount of carbonation that can be seen fizzling for quite a while. Pours a thick whitish-yellow head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Hops smell is definitely present but not overpowering as well as something else I can't make out (I don't think I have a good sense of smell).

T: Roasted hops flavor (definitely not bitter though). Smokey flavor as well. Overall pleasant but not rich flavor.

M: Smooth and feels just right on the palate.

D: Goes down very easily. I could easily have another bottle.

I haven't had a "blonde" (pale) lager (that I can remember at least) so this being my first turned out to be a great start. I can normally only find this in the case in my area so when I happened to see it in a grocery store near me (stored properly) in a six pack and on sale for $4.99 I had to jump at it.

This to me seems like a great pale lager and I'm not particularly a lager fan. HW has again proven to be one of my favorite breweries. In my mind they nailed the pale lager with their Blonde.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer pours a clear medium golden colour, with two fingers of foamy white head, which leaves a few strands of lace around the glass in its wake. It smells of mildly sweet white grain, and soft leafy, weedy, earthy hops. The taste is more soft, sweet grain, a bit of bread dough, and dry, earthy hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, smooth, and surprisingly creamy. It finishes fairly sweet, the bready grain cut only in a small way by the drying, weedy hops.

A bit of a revelation after the first two beers I sampled from this brewer, which uniformly leaned toward the skunky. Soft, smooth, and nicely drinkable.

2.83/5  rDev -6.9%

This wan't one of the best beers I have ever tasted. It surely is above Bud or Coors, but as afar as craft beers go, its the bottom of the barrel. If you are looking for a beer to bridge the gap between those American Adjunct Lagers, this is a good first step. It pours a very clear golden yellow color. Not much head to speak of and no lacing. Smells a little of malt and corn. Tastes similar to smell but with a touch of citrus. In the mouth, it is very thin and overly carbonated. Overall, its drinkable, but not something I would ever seek out to buy.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

This basically is a typical example of a "bargain" beer. Light, crisp, clean, easy to drink. There's not a ton of outstanding flavors or scents, but there's no real off notes either. Basically grainy with just a nice hint of hops, this could be a nice chore beer or one to turn the BMC drinker in your life on to better beers. Not a great beer, but a decent little brew and value.

3.86/5  rDev +27%

I'm surprised this beer is not rated higher. I think for a lager beer, it is very good and comparable to Session but tastes a bit lighter. A very good lager for the alcohol content, but I live in Utah. The taste is smooth and fresh and consistent. One of the better lager beers I've tasted in awhile.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Henry Weinhard's Blonde from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.