Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPAHenry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.
Oregon, United States
henryweinhards.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Reidrover on 03-05-2008

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

2.96/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Clear, light copper color with one finger of head that fades to a ring

Aroma: Toasted, bready malt and floral hop aroma with some sharpness from the carbonation.

Taste: Medium bodied up front with some toasted malt before the rush of bitterness takes over. The bitterness is grainy, slightly spicy and a bit harsh and there's a fair amount of carbonation that prickles the tongue. The finish is fast, thin and fairly clean, with only a touch of lingering bitterness.

The Rest: A fairly one-dimensional and unremarkable IPA. Probably wouldn't get this again.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

2.61/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Dark golden with orange tones. The head formed 2 fingers thick but dissipated quickly leaving behind no lace.

S- Very sweet with a stale dry hop aroma. The aroma is not very pleasant.

T- Sweet upfront with monotone hop flavors that finish dry. It's overly sweet, almost sugar like. The hops don't lend any flavor, just a dull bitterness. They must have have only used hop oil.

M- Very light for an IPA, almost pilsner like.

O- Not very good. It's more like a pilsner than an IPA, and a lousy pilsner at that. It's extremely light and bland. It just takes like slightly bitter sugar water.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My brother told me about this beer in early autumn of 2012 and I saw a sixpack in Charleston, SC. I made this my official Citidel homecoming beer of 2012.
It cost about $7.00 in Charleston which is cheaper than I was prepared to pay so that was a nice surprise.
I poured it into a Solo cup as we started tailgating, and voila!...I like this beer.
Now mind you, the environment was perfect....tailgaters drinking beer, cooking out, my oldest and I throwing the football-all of these things contributed to the enjoyment of the particular IPA...but the best thing for about this beer is it tastes good and has a decent price....
Back home they started selling it in my town and it costs $6.57...which is even better!
It does not go through a kaleidoscope of flavors-grapefruit, mango, apricot-no.... ....the hops give it a mild piney and earthy taste followed up by the taste of malt and caramel.
I understand it is 6% abv, which corresponds well with the body and mouthfeel-nice balance- and the appearance of body when pouring....nice simple beer with a price that can be justified.
As a matter of fact, as long as it stays priced so well, it will be a weekend staple in my fridge.
Let's give it a 3.7 rating....

4.75/5  rDev +50.8%

2.47/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured from bottle into pint glass, dark amber color
S- Smelled "thick" to me, with an aroma of alcohol and some hops
T- This beer was maltier than I expected. I didn't get much taste of hops, which was a disappointment. It also tasted a bit flat.
M- Flat aftertaste, not pleasant, almost skunky. Could have been the bottle, not sure.

Overall, I didn't really enjoy anything about this beer. Its not horrible, but its not worth buying IMO.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.