Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve | Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Private ReserveHenry Weinhard's Private Reserve

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2002

3.1

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a clear bubbly yellow color, good sized head with nice lace down the glass
S: Smell is floral and grassy.
T: Slight sweet corn/grainy flavor up front followed by herbal bitterness.
M: Light bodied, carbonation seems to be good.
O: This is a pretty decent pale lager. Would be a good session BBQ type beer on a hot day.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

nothing special here. smells like a slightly more malty version of the american adjunct stuff, bittering hops only, and in small doses. flavor is fairly bland as well, some english style malts give it a decent profile, but its rather watered down. it does have a fairly crist finish, which serves it well. lighter medium body, decent carbonation. this is one of those beers that serves the purpose of being a better than mass produced lagers, but not being too offensive to the less adventurous palate. not a beer id suggest to any of my mates, but i might buy a 6er for my molson drinking old man.

3.75/5  rDev +21%

2.79/5  rDev -10%

Pours a pretty nice one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is completely white and is surprisingly a little fluffy and creamy looking. However, I can literally hear the bubbles fizzing away. Head retention is frankly better than I thought it would be, I still have half a finger of head left, better than most adjunct lagers. I know this isn't an adjunct lager, but I've had it before and it might as well be. The lacing looks like it will actually be pretty nice, but we wont know for sure until I get down the glass. The body is pretty damn transparent, but I suppose it's not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Carbonation looks like it's just through the roof. Overall it's actually not a horrible looking beer considering everything, the body is pretty crappy, but what can you expect with a lager. The head is actually nice though, lacing looks like it will be good, and the head is still hanging in there. The smell is just your standard adjunct lager smell, super sweet, pretty sour smelling. Pretty carbonated smelling too. extremely pale malts on the nose. Overall it's just your standard adjunct lager smell, not that great. Not a horrible smell, but nothing more than a miller or coors. Taste is just the same, adjuncts, corn, etc. Very sour, slightly bitter, pretty darn sweet. I mean it has more flavor than a BMC, but it's just the same overall as they are. Just very sweet overall, really it's not that watery, which is good, but it just doesn't have anything else going on other than sweetness and some sourness. Overall better than BMC, but just barely. The mouthfeel is actually pretty good for an adjunct lager. Somewhat dry on the mouth. Also, it's not nearly as carbonated as I thought it would be, the carbonation is more medium than high. The body is obviously super thin, but for sure not the thinnest lager I have ever felt. Not a bad mouthfeel at all. The drinkability is obviously super high, it's extremely light, and it's not ever 4% ABV. Overall I wish there was more to say about this beer, but there really isn't. It's not a terrible beer, but it's not much more than a BMC. It has more flavor than your standard lager, but it's not necessarily a better flavor. Overall not terrible, but not something I really want to have again.

As I drank more and more of this beer, it did get quite a bit smoother, further backing up that 3.5 rating for the mouthfeel. It went down really well. The taste got a little nicer too, just a nice easy beer, no real problems with the flavor. With that being said, I don't really think I'm going to change my grade.

The appearance turned out to be actually pretty darn good. The lacing was really outstanding for a lager. For the first half of the glass the lacing was literally just one big lace, no wholes or anything on the lacing. As I got down to the second half the lacing started to break up a little bit, but it was still thicker than your average lacing, and it followed me all the way down the glass to boot! Really...the body wasn't very good, but it was a lager after all. The lacing and head were so great that I think I'm going to have to give it a 4 for appearance, even if that is too generous.

3.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While I'm a fan of lagers, there aren't many that wow me. This beer is among that group - but it's still very good for a basic, delicious lager with a nice smoothe easy-drinking taste with no aftertaste. The price-point at under $1 for a stubby bottle is nice, too. I'm a fan of supporting Henry Weinhard's brews so I would always consider this a beer I'd gladly purchase again in the future.

Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.