Schneider George Schneider's Wiesen Edel-Weisse | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider George Schneider's Wiesen Edel-WeisseSchneider George Schneider's Wiesen Edel-Weisse

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany
schneider-weisse.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BillRoth on 12-05-2013

1.68/5  rDev -58.1%

2.4/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured chilled in shaker pint glass

A: cloudy amber color; good head and good carbonation
S: very yeasty, Belgian-like; compelled me to return for repeat sniffs, a longer time than normal
T: salty, sprite-like beer; baking soda dominates in the absence of hops; hints of cardamom

Overall, not that impressed; the brewery's other offerings I've found to be better fare.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 15A). Bottle 50 cl - Batch 1666060514. AROMA: wheat profile with vanilla and clove notes with a slight banana aroma. no hop aromas. APPEARANCE: deep gold color and hazy. large white head with good retention. TASTE: sweet wheat background with a complementary vanilla character. odd undescribable flavor. persistent medium-low bitterness and a medium-dry finish. PALATE: medium-light body and high carbonation. OVERALL: altough it has a nice aroma, there is an odd flavour present. but it is still a good weizen.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a standard weizen glass--got a moderate head on it, though it fades very quickly for a weizen. Good aroma, fairly fruity, with strong phenols that are almost bandaidy. The taste is highly fruity, and not very tart compared to my favorite examples. The phenols make a spicy addition. Body is not nearly as carbonated as many other examples, which explains fall of the foam. All the right notes are there, but it just doesn't do much for me. I'm a big fan of weizens but I've never been fond of any of the Schneider ones, despite their good reputation.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not too familiar with the hefe style so I figured it's about time to get my ass in gear. Poured from the bottle into a big friggin tulip glass. Very attractive pour: honey-colored beer and lots of bubbling head. The head dissipated somewhat quickly, and there's a bit of lacing to show for it.

Smell is nothing special: bread, coriander, maybe some clove. Citrus? (I'm Ron Burgundy?)

Taste is solid, but nothing overwhelming. Flavor reminds me of Belgian white ales. And the mouthfeel is nothing to write home about. Pretty standard.

Overall, this is pretty dern drinkable. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be rushing back to the store to stock my fridge whilst exclaiming, "Oh, sweet nectar of life!!!"

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a cold glass 12oz beer mug.

Appearance: A beautiful creamy look to it with excellent thick head retention and a color like a strawberry blond. I appreciate its cloudy look

Smell: Sourdough with a yeasty feel to it. Very smooth and just a slight hop note which is a little spicy and flowery.

Taste: You can definitely taste the cascade hops here which is a taste I don't usually get with many german beers but it really works to give the beer a peppery zesty flavor that I like with some piney aftertaste. It tastes more bitter than most german wheat beers I've tried and I really enjoy it. There is a moderate alcohol taste but its not overwhelming and plays with the yeast and hop character. Sourdough comes to mind as does a subtle ryebread (I know there is no rye involved here but thats what I taste)

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy but it also dries out my mouth similar to a dry cider.

Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot and I'm fairly picky about my wheats. I liked the addition of the cascade hops which gave it a kind of APA taste to it however they seemed to dominate so much that it seems to be a cross between a pale ale and a hefeweizen and I did not think the aftertaste of the sourdough went well with the piney aftertaste. Overall a good beer though

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Schneider George Schneider's Wiesen Edel-Weisse from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH