Schneider Aventinus Eisbock

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Schneider Aventinus EisbockSchneider Aventinus Eisbock
Notes: Aventinus has been known to be the most intense and complex Wheat-Doppelbock in the world. This was the case in the past, but not anymore... Recently, Hans Peter Drexler, Brewmaster at G. Schneider & Sohn, heard some stories about some extra special Aventinus resulting from some partial freezing during a cold winter transport in the 1930's. He decided to recreate this classic "mistake" to further concentrate Aventinus in a modern, controlled facility. Thus, the Aventinus Eisbock was reborn. Prost!

Georg Schneider VI, 6th Generation Brewer
Reviews: 1,217 | Ratings: 2,778 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Litterbean:
Litterbean from New York

1.87/5  rDev -56.4%

Pours dark brown with no head. Some yeast and sediment is present. Looks like crap.

The smell is a little sour and tart. Some cloying sweetness and a lot of alcohol. Blech.

Taste? Yuck. All alcohol. There's way too much booze in this guy. I greatly enjoy the Weizenbock, but this is overdone. I miss the banana and clove notes. This is just a disgusting mess. I will never have this again.

Sep 25, 2006
mattytwohats from Australia

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Aventinus Eisbock: an epic battle on the palette, like a bullfighter: high risk but high rewards.

The first encounter is like the moment you're just about to fall into a peaceful sleep and being slapped in the face with a wet salmon. At first it will piss you off but shortly after you'll be like ...wasn't really the salmons fault

The scent is slightly confusing like when you think you're smelling a sausage roll only to realise it's your own body odour.

Suitable for dungeons and other dark places...would not recommend drinking anywhere where photosynthesis can take place

Flavours: hmmm where do I start: has hints of banana that a child has regurgitated. Like a burnt caramel flower stomped into methylated spirits yet blessed by the gods of the eastern block.

The loss of motor skills is something that needs to be accepted and will fare with time

A forcible scent, stings the nostrils. Please note: maximum human consumption: 2. One time I saw a dude order 3 I think his name was grim r...or maybe Reaper G?

Not recommended for drinking in sunshine or seeing sunshine for 12-24 hours after consumption.

Tastes like a burnt out log fire doesed in red paradol liquid from your childhood.

Enjoy in a bulbous Aventinus glass.

Only beer that I have ever consumer whilst slaying a dragon....See you in hell.

Feb 21, 2015
JacobusFavier23 from Texas

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Very excited for this one. Made sure to chill it as ordered.
L-Pours a dark murky/dish watery and very carbonated beer. One head finger that is very bubbly and dissipates quickly. The carbonation simplifies quickly as well.
S- Very complex smell. Roasted almonds, dark breads, banana bread. Sweet brown sugar/molasses and stone fruit. Campfirey smell also is picked up along with a slight citrus note. I smell toasted wood in this beer.
T- Follows the nose; yeasty, sweet like molasses. Not too boozy at all on a count of its alc. content. Very ripened banana and dark breads is also picked up. Earthy flavor is behind the initial taste, darkly roasted hops and caramel as well. Gingerbread? An almost umami flavor that I can't describe. So very complex. I love it.
F- Creamy and thick, goes very well with the flavor of the beer.
O- Absolutely wonderful ale. I can't think of a more complex beer I've had at this time in my life. Wonderfully delicious and deathly potent. This is a sippin' beer. Once again, wonderful. Everyone needs to try this beer. Cheers!

Feb 22, 2017
Beginner2 from Illinois

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am speechless before greatness.
That was true the first I had this ice beer's father, Aventinus and my humility repeated itself the next night with the eisbock. I hope next to sit with someone and drink them side-by-side and compare notes.

Listed in "1001 Beers To Taste Before You Die." Few will win an argument that Eisbock doesn't deserve to be on this list.
Roger Prost also gave this Eisbock a long review along with Aventinus in his "300 Beers"; noting similarities and differences.

11/28/18: I bought a copy of the Eisbock as the store was out of Aventinus. And I could not wait to cellar. So, I will just have to wait for a simultaneous Schneider episode to conduct my side-by-side.
2/20/20 no change in rating and only minor edits. This copy was bottled 26 months ago. Again, I skipped the Aventinus side-by-side. But maybe I don't need to analyze this so extensively. Both will always be great. Prost.
5/10/20 No changes. I'm now keeping count over at Untappd.

Feb 29, 2016
Homebrewer_Dave from North Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

This is one of the best beers I've had in awhile. Maybe its just because this is a bock beer and most of what I've had here lately have been ales. Maybe its because I'm in Korea where the domestic beer market leaves a lot to be desired. Really though the beer has an excellent mouth feel. An appreciable amount of carbonation, easily twice what I see with an IPA. This is of course a Lager beer and not an ale beer. I sampled this at the local bottle shop and it wasn't real cold. To be honest I got more of the flavor when it was a few degrees warmer. I'm happy that I spent the money on two of these. It's over all a great change of pace for me.

Oct 15, 2017
Bierliebhaber3 from Massachusetts

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This pours an opaque dark chocolate brown color with a thin white fizzy head. The smell is quite unique and complex. It is also a fairly sweet and malt heavy smell with elements of wheat, chocolate, toffee, and alcohol. The taste is also very unique and absolutely amazing. There is of course a wheat flavor (hence the weizen), but there are so many other strong flavors that it comes across fairly mild compared to other weizen beers that I have had. The flavor, like the smell, is quite malty and very rich with dark chocolate, brown bread, espresso, toffee, rum, cloves, and alcohol coming through the most. It’s not so surprising that the alcohol is pronounced since this beer is a very hearty 12%. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and creamy. The body is quite heavy. Maybe not as much as a full bodied stout or porter, but it’s certainly approaching those. This beer has everything I like: full body, strong complex flavors, and high alcohol content. They don’t get much better or more multifaceted than this. I don’t think anything is lost from the amazing flavor of Unser Aventinus during the icing process and you pack an extra 4% alcohol in there. Even though this beer is quite well rated, in my opinion it is still underrated.

Jun 11, 2016
RoyalT from Ohio

4.59/5  rDev +7%

Appearance – This poured dirty brown in color with lots of carbonation and a big head considering the monstrous ABV.

Smell – Big, huge dunkles weizen aroma. The yeast is mammoth and shows off a bit of the traditional malty bock as well as a subtle warning of alcohol. The aftermath of this monster aroma is beautifully-spiced banana notes that complete the package.

Taste – Man, what a mouthful. This is the biggest, baddest, dark yeast flavor that I’ve ever tasted, and I lived in Germany for six years. The sharp alcohol just adds to the concoction. What a treat!

This is fine alcohol that you would expect from an expensive brandy, and the yeast is the real German deal. The fruity banana comes up huge as well, and the spices (predominantly clove) are large and in charge.

Mouthfeel – The alcohol tinge was big here, but this is what you’d expect from the real “ice beer”. The German weizen flavors came out wonderfully, puffing the cheeks and filling the mouth. It is fuller than full and well worth the effort to chew it down.

Drinkability – I felt like a king drinking this bottle. What an amazing example of this unique and often overlooked style.

Apr 27, 2004
timon from California

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Great surprise. I thought this would be nasty as I normally don't like over 11% beer, but it's damn good. Lots of dark fruits like plum, raisen, dates and a nice clovish (is that a word...yes it is) and hoppy after taste. Alcohol is VERY well hidden--be careful. This will put you on your ass!

Apr 17, 2018
BuckeyeNation from Iowa

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark chestnut until backlit with late morning sun. The beer is then midway between dark cherry and dark orange, with a surprising number of bubbles animating the interior. The pour produced a prodigious crown of frothy foam that crested the top edge of the glass. More stickiness would have been good, but then show me a 12.0% ale that qualifies as a lace monster.

Weizen Eisbock smells like a concentrated weizenbock. No surprise, since that's pretty much what it is. I'm sure the tapering sides of the snifter help. Even though it smells potent, there's barely any alcohol appreciated. Medium-dark fruit (though not much banana) is uppermost, followed by a whiff of clove-like spiciness.

This is definitely good beer, but I'm not blown away. First impressions include a lighter than expected body/mouthfeel and too many bubbles. A five minute wait for warming and CO2 dispersal helps quite a bit. I like the way the flavor profile changes from beer entry to beer exit... and beyond.

Flavors include caramel, chocolate-covered bananas, ripe figs, a hint of anise, a splash of port and a hefty sprinkling of ground clove. The beer is really opening up as it approaches room temperature. It's amazing how well the alcohol is buried. Throat and belly warming is the only evidence of the double-digit ABV.

The mouthfeel firms up enough in the end. It helps that some of the water was removed because that allows the malt sugars to add a finishing slick stickiness that makes it feel more full. Less carbonation would have helped. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't have resulted in a higher score.

I'm amazed that Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is only the third beer of this style that I've ever reviewed. While it isn't a sock knocker-offer like Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, it's a damn good beer that is fun to sip and savor. It's also widely available and cellars well. I'll be coming back to this one again.

Jul 11, 2009
kitch from Hong Kong

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A 330ml bottle with a best before date of 5th May 2020. Using Tap 6 as its base is a very good start.

Appearance: It poured a dark brown colour with a reddish/purple tint. There was barely any head other than a thin tan coloured layer and not much lacing.

Aroma: Sweet plum, grape, bubblegum, caramel with some light booze.

Taste: Dark fruits, grape, plum, prune, bubblegum, syrup.

Mouthfeel: Mid to full bodied with high carbonation.

Overall: My first Eisbock and a very good one at that. Considering its 12% ABV, although there was a small amount of alcohol in the nose, there was none in the taste. Very easy to drink and wish I had a few more bottles on hand to age.

Nov 19, 2015
cavedave from New York

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick looking brown with reddish cast, topped briefly by a thick skim of tan foam that retreats to a lasting ring of fine knitted lather.

Caramel sweetbuns with toffee topping mixed with alcohol spice/fruit cake makes a medium strength and very alluring aroma.

Bright taste with all the elements of the aroma present. Some nice fruitiness mixes in as well, at times I get prune, plum, cherry, dates, as well as some really pleasant herbal bitter teases that tie it all together. Much less alcohol flavor than expected.

Quite thick, but it remains dangerously drinkable, with low carb. and a juicy finish that never becomes sticky.

Really delicious beer, superb, highest recommendation

Oct 19, 2015
c014572 from Illinois

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Oh my. What I thought I would get is so totally different than what this beer is. Thinking this was going to be cloyingly sweet based on my favorite dopplebock celebator, I was so pleasantly surprised by the magnificent malt/hop/sweetness balance this had. This is not for the faint of heart. The alcohol is very present and the lacing is everywhere on the glass. This beer has wonderful flavor and character. It's hard to describe. For fans of malty German dark beers, who are not afraid to drop down $5 on a single bottle, you will be rewarded...

Feb 22, 2016
DoctorZombies from Florida

4.42/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy brown pour (20) with thin off white head, good lace and thin cap. Sweet figs and prune juice aromas. Sweet figs and prune juice up front; chewy caramel candy middle; boozy exhale; creamy raisin finish. Medium mouthfeel; sweet caramel malt/ brown sugar tongue coating. Overall, pours like molasses and drinks like carbonated sweet liquid figs. Perhaps best doppelbock I've had - excellent.

Aug 11, 2015
frank4sail from New Jersey

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle # 003026 11.2 fl. oz

Sweet fruity wheat nose with strong yeast notes. Decent tan head on the pour with some light brown floaties in the center of the glass. This head leaves quickly. Iced tea appearence there after with lots of yeast floaters. Fruity sweeter initial taste with a quick big ABV blast follows quickly. The finish leaves plum skin and tropical fruit on the tongue. The ABV is not as hidden as I thought it would be. The mouth is quite thick and its finish is dry on the tongue and moist and wet on the roof of the mouth and throat.

Oct 24, 2003
DIM from Pennsylvania

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

a: This was a muddied dark brown. It poured with a smallish, creamy white head.

s: Huge aromas of yeasty, wheaty bananas dominate. Not much of the spiciness from the original comes through.

t: Big, yeasty, phenolic flavors of bananas and rasins absolutley crush the palate. I could feel the 12% abv more than I could taste it if that makes sense. This was good, but I prefer the more subdued original.

m: The chewy body and creamy carbonation are still here. The only difference is a warmer exhale.

d: I struggled a little with the 11.2 ounce bottle. I'm glad to have tried this, but I'll go back to the original.

Dec 05, 2008
koopa from New Jersey

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Had this one on cask last night at the Copper Mine Pub.

Appearance: Pours a fairly dark and cloudy brown with a 1 finger khaki crown that displays some retention and lace.

Smell: Nice amount of both banana notes and clove, along with notes of caramel, raisins, and wheat.

Taste: Same as the nose but a little more subdued and with a mild alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Thick side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall: A nice beer on cask for sure...nice enough for me to order two of them :) Drinkability was good as the alcohol presence was well hidden. I'd like to have experienced a better mouthfeel though.

Nov 24, 2011
jwg782 from Texas

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Dec 06, 2013
lic217 from Connecticut

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jan 31, 2015
ThisWangsChung from Maryland

3.64/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage.

A: Pours a very dark brown with good opacity due to the haziness of the yeast. Huge yeast particles settle on the bottom of the glass. This features really impressive head retention for 12% - I poured it about 4 minutes ago and there's still a solid off-white colored film left on top.

S: The first thing I notice is huge dark fruit sweetness, along with lighter fruit esters and even some faded hops. After a while, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate will enter the picture. There's a noticeable oxidation to the aroma, giving it both a stronger fruit vibe along with an underlying soy note to it. The alcohol presence is mercurial; it's about what I expected.

T: Flavors start off with a lot of ripe cherries and wheat malt. Afterwards, it shows hints of soy sauce (in a mild, pleasing fashion), chocolate, ripe pear, and apple. Not quite as deep, or even as intensely flavored as I expected. Once it warms up, it becomes more and more boozy without really contributing much complexity, and after a while becomes even sweeter; though it also becomes spicier in the finish as well. So yeah, this does have a bit of complexity and depth to it. Warts and all, this is a hell of an experience - and honest to God, it's enjoyable.

M: At the first sip, it's just about the silkiest damn thing I've ever put in my mouth. After a while, it becomes a bit more astringent and even boozy. Combined with the carbonation, it features that subtle 'airy sponge cake' quality to the texture. While it's hard for me to taste the alcohol, it's very easy to notice on the tongue, esophagus, and stomach - the syrupy finish doing its job to an extent.

O: Fresh, I'm sure the booze would knock my tongue out, but it's done a good job of evolving into something soft and mellow...ish. I seriously can't imagine how boozy this would be with only a month or two of age on it. The warmer it gets, the harsher it gets - and the less I want to drink it. Worth a try, but drink cold!

Jan 09, 2013
Svingjo from Canada

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

As I was pouring this it reminded me of pouring a thick brown maple or sugar syrup. As it settled the beer turned a darker brown and had a finger thick beige head that clung to the glass. The nose brings forward dark dried fruit like plums, dates and figs. There is that thick syrup smell as well that seems laced with some kind of spice. The packaging says clove but that's not what comes to mind for me. Now the smell and taste are near matches, very rich and dark fruit along with a hint of semi-sweet chocolate. There is a bit of that alcohol spiciest and burn, but that is to be expected with this style of beer and at 12.0% ABV. The mouthfeel is definitely on the full side with an among thick syrup like consistency and a sharp carbonation that tries to hide the strong ABV.

Jun 01, 2015
WillAndSarah from Canada

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Aug 24, 2013
mchengcit from Massachusetts

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nov 08, 2014
MGibbons from Maryland

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Mar 11, 2018
Happyyb from New Hampshire

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Oct 18, 2019
mattmaples from Oregon

4.81/5  rDev +12.1%

Come on guys, I love this beer to but you can not give it a 5 or even a 4 on appearance. It looks like mud but tastes like a little slice of heaven. I did ding it a little on drinkablitiy due to the alcohol heat but the smell taste and mouthfeel are perfect.

What a great idea, "Lets take an alread intense beer and crank it up a notch or two." I hope they continue to make this, I also hope that someday we get some to sell up here in Oreon.

Feb 27, 2002