Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Ratings: 2,628 |  Reviews: 1,168

1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

1.83/5  rDev -56.5%

A: maple syrup to brown. Slightly off white head.

S: German malty and slight bitey that's unpleasant. Maybe Belgian yeasty. Maybe tiniest smoke and spiciness.

T: malty with tons of residual sweetness. Lacking any bitterness.

M: thin overall

O: not good. Won't ever buy or recommend to anyone. Just not my style.

1.87/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours dark brown with no head. Some yeast and sediment is present. Looks like crap.

The smell is a little sour and tart. Some cloying sweetness and a lot of alcohol. Blech.

Taste? Yuck. All alcohol. There's way too much booze in this guy. I greatly enjoy the Weizenbock, but this is overdone. I miss the banana and clove notes. This is just a disgusting mess. I will never have this again.

2.22/5  rDev -47.3%

Holy cow, I just looked at the ABV...12%?!?! OK...

Even with my nose away from the glass I can smell the alcohol...reminds me of the whisky my Uncle and Grandfather would sip in the evenings. But we'll get there.

On the pour: vigorous carbonation with an odd cacading effect that nevertheless creates only a short-lived head. Beer is something of a muddy cola in appearance. No head and no lacing detract from the appearance score.

Aroma: Fruit and booze, like a fruitcake soaked in rum.also detect notes of something...beefy, for lack of a better word, like Worchestershire sauce. Complex, but man! There's no escaping that alcohol.

Taste: Good God. Sharp and nigh undrinkable. The high-octane flavor is more akin to a shot than a beer. Hits the back of the throat and leaves a trail of warmth all the way down. Afternotes of raisin and grains, but the alcohol is just too much. Much more watery in the mouthfeel than I would suspect.

Certainly different and not for the faint of heart. Might go down better paired with food, I suspect something cheesy or blood-rare. An acquired taste, and one I probably wouldn't recommend. Just not my thing.

2.23/5  rDev -47%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

2.26/5  rDev -46.3%

Appearance: A nice transparent orangey brown, but the head was stubborn to form and didn't stick around very long.

Smell: The usual Aventinus aroma, wheaty and sweet, but this one seems to be extra extra sweet. We'll have to see how it pans out in the taste.

Taste: Not panning out very well. The sweetness is worse than I thought. It's just so caramely and sickening that I couldn't wait to be done with it. As an added minus, the alcohol really starts to show about halfway through the glass. And I mean really.

Mouthfeel: Alright until the alcohol kicks in, and then it produces a not so nice burning sensation.

Drinkability: Between the over the top caramel sweetness and the brashness of the alcohol, I hardly wanted to finish the glass, let alone have another.

Beef Notes: I was interested in this one, as I like Aventinus, but it turned out to be just plain disappointing, though I was into it at first. I don't think I'll be coming back.

2.27/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

It just didn't work for me. I've had others by Schneider and enjoyed them, but didn't care for the Eisbock.

2.31/5  rDev -45.1%

2.32/5  rDev -44.9%

Bottle number 052651

Brown goo on the bottom of the cap. Pours a brownish/red color. Yeast in suspension is very chunky. Little to zero head. What bubbles are left are very small. Sweet, malty, phenolic nose. Alcohol smell. Strong alcohol in the taste. Very hot. Whiskey aftertaste. Yeasty. Does not change much as I drink. I could barely finish it and considered dumping it. I was hoping to get over the initial flavor shock and pick up hints of something. None to be found. My tongue could simply not get over the whiskey and yeast. How could something as wonderful as Aventinus be mutated into something like this? I am told it is the same recipe, just finished off in the Eisbock manner. It works for some other Eisbocks I have had, but for this one it completely stripped away the blend of flavors that make Aventinus great and replaced it with an unpleasant alcohol burn.

2.42/5  rDev -42.5%

Beer #15 sampled at Eastern Oregon DONG (Dudes of Northwest Grog) "We Will Bock You!" tasting @ Barley Brown's, 8.6.11.

Light gold a bit hazy body, white head, multiple streams of carbonation, quick dissipation and a thin ring of foam around edge of glass. There's something wrong here, wet cardboard, obviously oxided, overpowered any aroma and flavor nuances. While I'm not sure we would have enjoyed this re the wheat after being pounded by brown sugar, prunes, raisins etc, we all noticed this was one frigging boozy monster. The low light of the tasting. Another of my big deviation beers, the booziness reminded me of Founder's Devil Dancer, and while their are proponents of both of these beers, I'm not one of them. Pass.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH