Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

#787

Ratings: 2,650 |  Reviews: 1,171

3.05/5  rDev -28.2%

Update 3/4/11: What the hell happened to my Weizen Eisbock?

Poured into an Eisenbhan Wiezenbock glass, the color is the same, but there's better head retention. The aroma is more boozy and grapey, but I can still make out those weizenbock charactersitcs. The taste is where it goes downhill; lots of uber-sweet raisin flavored alcohol dominate with the clove and banana bread tastes pushed way aside. Mouthfeel remains very likeable, big, syrupy, and smooth, not too boozy in this respect, and sticky around the mouth. Damn, this is too sweet; I'm going to struggle to finish the 330 ml serving.

This bottle was a 2010 vintage (costing $5.49), so perhaps it needs a little more time to be outstanding. Or perhaps my tastes have changed so much since my last sampling nearly 4 years ago. I've had my helping of Aventinus Classic in between that time, and I'll be more than happy to drink that in the future.

(4/23/07)

This better be good. I spent $5.19 for an 11.2 oz. bottle at Town and Country Liquor, and it has a printed number on the back of the label. It says 2005/11325 on the back of the label. Well, the moment has come to try it out:

Dark red to brown in color, it's an eye catcher, but where's my head? I barely got one when it was poured, and it quickly went down. But that's okay, I enjoyed everything else this brew had to offer. Have you ever tried to mix a Doppelbock with a Hefeweizen and an Eisbock? That's the best way to describe this beer. It has that delicate yeasty, phenolic, fruity flavor of Hefe's, the chocolate maltiness and raisins flavors of a Doppelbock, and that body warming kick of a Eisbock. All of this creates an extremely well-balanced brew, an incredibly smooth texture, and the defying drinkablilty which begs me to have another of these. At 12% ABV, you better watch how much you drink of this, but it's so damn good.

If this review couldn't get any better, I now know I can find this at quite a few establishments, and cheaper too. Hooray!

Original rating: 3.5/5/5/5/5

3.07/5  rDev -27.8%

Bottle 08158 from 2001.
Pours very dark cloudy brown, small head, and minimal lacing. Aroma is powerful - banana, dark fruits (raisin and plum), maybe some apple in there,too. Flavor starts with some banana, middle has the other fruits mixed in with alcohol, and ends dry with a strong alcohol feel to it. Very light carbonation, and a good bit of warming alcohol parade around the mouth.

3.09/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -27.3%

After reading all the extolling reviews on this rare and special beer, I prepared myself for a powerful punch of strong flavor and a malty rich mouthfeel that could live up to the hype (and price).
Honestly, I was disappointed.

The beer seemed a little "bland" in taste compared to the hype I was reading all over the internet. I'm sure if I would not have psyched myself up for "the best beer experience of my life" then I would have enjoyed this beer more and accepted it as the special delicate treat that it is.

I will definitely try this beer again while managing my expectations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it more next time.

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep color with a fluffy head that dissipates quickly. Aroma has some mild vestiges of dark fruit & semi-sweet phenol (the usual date / fig variety) but there is also a weird tomato / vegetal smell underneath as well. Maybe some odd malt / fusel alcohol bastard? Flavor starts out with a little sweet phenol / candy, like a grape Jolly Rancher but old, with fuller phenol notes opening up in the mid-palate bringing in your plum & wet fig, maybe a little star anise. There is definitely a pronounced fusel note but it is hidden pretty well, though certainly noticeable in a husky blackstrap molasses note. It ends with more of a spicey note with more of that anise flavor. Good flavor notes though it somehow lacks a certain impact, can't quite put my finger on it but nothing really sings. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and syrupy. Solid beer but didn't blow my mind.

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured this from an 11.2 oz. into a wine glass. Bottle dated 2010 batch #023869

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that faded quickly leaving some tan lacing.

Smell was dried fruits with some wheat and bread smells noted and a hint of alcohol.

Got a fruit/bread taste and finished with a bite, mostly alcohol, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was smooth, and slick, carbonation noted but not overpowering, alcohol left a tingle.

This was my first Eisbock. Drank it on an empty stomach...wow. A noteworthy experience but not a beer I would have multiples of. Good for a winter night by the fire to feel the warmth, but a night out on the town and I would be looking at the bottom of the bar stool. I would definitely drink it again.

3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

Picked up a few of these a while ago. I'd put them in my fridge but for some strange reason I couldn't bring myself to opening this one. Weird but true.

Poured into a snifter.

A rather agressive pour produced just one finger of foam that left quickly. Minimal amouts of lacing so I was left with something that looked like coca cola without all the bubbles.

Loads of smells on this would keep you from thinking it actually is coca cola. There is a soap like scent mixed with booze. Lots and lots of sweetness.

Flavors are intense but I just can't get passed the soapy chemical qualities in this beer. There is also dark fruits, banana and all that. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Medium to full body. Lots of flavors that linger around.

I guess it's good. The soapy thing is just something I have a hard time with. I have one more left but think I will just pass it on.

3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

This is fantastic if you like sweet beers. I do not so I was left a little cold. Opaque brown body, refined small bubbles. Large head. Sweet rye bread aroma. Taste of alcohol and rye bread. Sweetness pretty disturbing. It would be hard to believe if I found they had not brewed this in cinamon casks. Smooth mouthfeel with the elegant bubbles tickling. The flavor of this beer rocks, but I cannot get over the sweetness and the high alcohol.

3.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a DT snifter. 2008/04209 on the back label. Was a hazy dark mahogany color. Some carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was dark fruits, overripe banana, clove and a lot of alcohol. I liked the non-alcohol portion of the aroma as it reminded me of the regular Aventinus which I love. The taste was dominated by the alcohol with very little of the base Aventinus coming thru. Tasted like taking shots each time. I've only had one other eisbock (Kuhnhenn Raspberry) and it did a lot better job of blending in the alcohol. That one I'd have again but not this one.

Overall, not for me. The alcohol taste just dominated the flavor and made me think whiskey more than beer. The aroma seemed to blend it better but not in the flavor department. For me, one and done.

[1x]

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First off, I was very excited to try this and I love big malt beers and Barleywines. However, something about this did not sit with me well. The sweetness was cloying. The mouthfeel was too syrupy when I usually enjoy that from a Barleywine. There was a licorice/anise thing which I don't like. I also think maybe the yeast strain threw me off, because I usually love beers this big, but do tend to stay away from a lot German and styles because of the yeast funkiness. Just means I have to keep trying stuff til I figure it out.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle number 28404 from 2008.

A: Dark with a head that quickly fades and leaves a thin film on the surface.

S: Cloves, bananas, and sugar. Like regular Aventinus turned up to 11.

T: Again, cloves, bananas, and sugar. It gets pretty cloying in a hurry. Slight roasted aftertaste.

M: Heavy. Not much carbonation.

D: It's an interesting idea, but in the end, it was way too big for me. I didn't come close to finishing the bottle. If I'm going to have this in the future, I'm going to have to split it with three or four people.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

The beer looks and smells the part. It looks and smells good but the taste and feel are not impressive.
This is overall merely an okay beer and definitely not as good as expected..

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle from 2005. Pours a cloudy brown with a small, off-white head. It has a strong smell of alcohol and clove and secondary smells of soy sauce and cheese. Wasn't thrilled about the soy sauce and cheese aspects. Tastes of pepper, spice, clove and banana and bubblegum.

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle number 2004 / 23488 ~ It's old!

The pour into my too-large Aventinus normal weizen glass raises almost no head at all, just a thin tan layer that quickly (and noisily) fades to nothing. There's a lot of thick, chunky sediment in the murky brown/red/copper body. I suppose I should have poured carefully, but I didn't expect this from the style. A strong, sweet raisin scent poured out of the bottle with the liquid immediately. There are also notes of molasses, pepper, mint, and alcohol. The taste is syrupy-sweet, with huge maltiness. I suppose there's a bit of flavor reminiscent of wheat, but perhaps I wouldn't have said so if I didn't have a label to read. The alcohol is also quite forward. For something so huge, the mouth isn't absurdly thick. Carbonation is minimal, though. A bit rough, overall.

3.23/5  rDev -24%

Appearance: A slightly cloudy mahogany with an off-white head. Fair retention. Fine, slow-moving carbonation.

Smell: Dense! Alcohol fumes, sticky sweet dark malts, burnt sugar, overripe banana. A bit smoky, perhaps?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Jesus. Alcohol heat in a big, big way off the bat -- the vapors just roll down your throat. Once that clears slightly, uh... how about... burnt banana liqueur? Phew, it's just overwhelmed by the burning booze, methinks. Mouthfeel is pretty good, maple syrup with bubbles.

Drinkability: For me, bad. It's just too boozy, too hot, too saturated -- it's just too much.

3.24/5  rDev -23.8%

A: An aggressive pour yeilds a small white head and a cloudy dark brown body. The head quickly fades to a thin ring around the outside of the glass leaving no lacing behind.

S: Smells of sweet overripe dark fruits. Strong notes of clove and alcohol, also some banana in there.

T: Alcohol is quite present in this one, as expected at 12%. Lingering tastes are of clove and spices. Big malty character and a bit sweet, almost syrupy.

M: Not much carbonation as I would like, but it is quite smooth and goes down easy.

D: Although this beer is quite smooth, it has some very strong flavors that I'm not enjoying all that much. It's not a bad beer, just not to my liking.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 2,650 ratings