Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Reviews: 1,161 | Ratings: 2,599
4.17/5  rDev -1%

Bottle number 017716

Regular Aventinus in iself is an amazingly complex bier. This is even more so.

Poured a little flat for this specimin, the head disappeared immediately. The smell is heavy clove, spice, oak and tannins. The taste is an explosion of flavors that finish nicely dry. Clove and wheat dominate. The taste of alcohol is nicely subdued for a 12% brew.

John

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy orange/brown with two fingers of off-white head. Lots of bubbles and wicked retention.

S: Smells of lots of banana, bubblegum. As it warms, also alcohol.

T: Tastes of overripe banana, booze.

M: The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a lot of fine carbonation.

D: This is fairly boozy but then again, it's 12%!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Looks like Apple Cider in color and cloudiness. Head was about a finger and stayed pretty creamy the whole time.

S - Malty grape bubblegum with smoke and molasses (kinda reminds me of Hickory BBQ sauce - not in a bad way, though... but more the perfect marriage of sweet and smoke.

T - Again with the grape bubblegum, but some cinnamon and raisins this time. A little clove as it warms. Pretty much semi dry from start to finish. A tad on the boozey side as I expected it might be.

M - Somewhat astringent but considering the nice linger it really works. Body is pretty heavy bordering on chewy and carb is pretty creamy.

O - Because of the mild to med throat heat, I'm thinking this would be an excellent winter offering. I rated this just below perfect for the sole reason that its my first stab at this style so I don't really have anything to compare it to. That said, there is nothing bad to say about this brew.

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated 11/12/13. Poured into a snifter at 45F.
A - Pours a cloudy light brown color. The single finger of off-white head dissipated quickly, leaving a long lasting lacing that was resupplied by a stream of small bubbles from the bottom of the glass.
S - Strong ester smell with banana, pineapple and bread as the primary components.
T - Fairly dry with a taste that matches the smell. Banana in the foreground with malty sweetness in the middle and a crisp apple/pineapple finish.
M - Moderate mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.
O - My first eisbock. More fruity than the American double bocks I have tried. A good summer beer, even with the 12% abv. Highly recommended for those who like eatery Belgian beers.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle # 2010 023815, I assume that means it was brewed in 2010, not sure..

A: Deep brown with reddish hue, slightly translucent, thin but present head

S: Apple Cider Vinegar, yeast, cherries, sweet tarts.

T: Tart cherries, yeast, sour, fruity, explosive flavors all over the place. A celebration in the mouth!

M: Nice chewy mouthfeel. Feels very nice and thick in your mouth, almost cough syrup like.

D: It's very tasty but to me this is a desert beer. I wouldn't drink more than one of these! In the meantime, its too intense for my girlfriend so I have to finish 12 ounces, , shouldn't be too hard though...

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

My friend in DC has been raving about this brew for over a year now. He came up to visit me recently. So of course we go out to buy a few brews. He spotted the Aventinus and basically begged me to try it.

When he first poured be a glass, I saw that it had a caramel color, and a good amount of yeast. As the yeast slid to the bottom of the glass, you could see it giving off CO2. The foam had a nice coffee-milk sort of look.

The most important part: Taste. I'd have to say that this is a very well flavored wheat ale. I want to say it had a mango taste to it coupled with a strong wheat taste. Very smooth and easy to drink. Favorited.

3.47/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured a deep hazy caramel with thin off white head.

Aroma is sweet with strong scents of brown sugar. Pouring this is like cutting open a bag of brown sugar and sticking your face in it.

The first thing that struck me about the flavor was the taste of brown sugar and honey like candy. The initial flavor is like a smack in the face of sweetness. No bitterness to be found anywhere. No balance, just supersweet cloying sugar, honey, and candy. Definitely smells better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel is sticky and thick, one of my favorite parts actually.

Alcohol is so obvious, and the sweetness is so sickening, I don't know if I'll be able to finish the bottle.

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

A-pours a dark copper with a huge slight off white head
S-huge sweet fruit (banana and apples)and clove with a nice yeast kick with a nice amount of alcohol
T-a huge sweet fruit a little clove and a big spicyness compared to its little brother, definately theres alot more alcohol in the background but overall this is world class definately a step above the normal aventinus but not quite as drinkable but a much bigger punch in the face flavorwise
M-very thick creamy body with a perfect amount of carbonation to compilment its spicyness this is the desert of beer
D-a very huge tasting beer, but this beer is orgasmically delicious very drinkable minus the abv which is the only deterent i personally wouldn't mind taking the risk if i was able to buy cases of it at a time i highly recommend you try it

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Color is a murky brown, almost dark purple. A thin tan head quickly fizzed up, then immediately dissipated to nothing despite a very aggressive pour. Looks like some sediment make it into the glass, oops.

Smell is.. WOW. Dark fruit; raisins, cherry, apricot, fig, even a hint of banana. Leathery, very port-like.

Taste- Oh man, amazing. Sweet and complex fruit; cherries and raisins. Leathery and malty, then finishes clean with a more sweet fruitiness and a lingering alcohol warmth. That's right, this beer is 12 or 13% ABV! Reminds me of a clean version of a Belgian Quad; less complex and minus all the Belgian yeasty intricacies.

Hardly any carbonation, but just enough to scrub the palate after each sip. This beer is like a tasty port but with the mouthfeel and drinkability of a good beer. The clean finish and lack of high complexity make this beer dangerously drinkable! I keep wanting more after each sip.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Miller Lite fluted glass (give me a break, I don't have a proper glassware collection yet). Bottle number says 11085 with a date of 2005.

A - Mahogany, reddish-brown with highlights of gold on the rims. A very mysterious, yet appealing-looking beer.

S OK I've realized I have a bad sense of smell, but this one smells like ripe fruit, and I can definitely detect the slight banana smell that others have spoken of.

T Wow, this part is definitely noteworty! Raisins, vanilla, dark fruits, even a little bit of chocolate. Hold on while I take another sip...Some spice at the end, mint and pepper, maybe sage, or is that my hippie roommate?

M Syrupy and creamy, yet some carbonation in there, a fine and delicate balance, like the Cold War "balance of terror"

D Insidiously hides the towering ABV, I would drink several of these in a night before I start being a little too honest with my friends, and only then realize the predicament I was in.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have not had the regular Aventinus, but I wanted to try an Eisbock.

A - This beer pours a dark, dark brown. Nice three finger head in my tulip glass that fades over a few minutes. As it warms, the lacing fades to nothing, which is expected at this ABV.

S - Mmm... Wheat, banana, booze... It smells like a banana split with whipped cream.

T & M - It tastes like a banana split with carbonation - and alcohol. It is sweet up front and spicy and hot at the finish. If there are hops, I am missing them, but the spices work just fine in their absence. The creamy mouthfeel is a bonus. This is a world class beer for sure.

D - Whoa - where did this beer go? I want more, but one is probably a good number for this one.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle. Bottle number 2007/13066

Appearance: Verydark, opaque brown. 2 fingers off white head, settles slowly.

Smell: Very sweet. Malty, yeasty. Aromas of caramel, raisins or figs.

Taste: Starts sweet then alcohol becomes very apparent. Spicy again with hints of raisons or figs.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Watered down syrupy almost like a flat soda. Not as thick as I was expecting .

Drinkability: One in a sitting is enough for me. Very rich.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

bought and drank in cambridge, ma, november '09.

pours a dark, dark brown, just short of black opaque from the side, but showing a light chocolate brown when held up to the light. off white head, medium dense, dies quick, but not that quick considering 12%.

smells of dark fruits with a touch of alcohol presence. a little earthiness is present, balanced with malty sweetness

taste is excellent - strong bock, rich dark fruits, just a bit yeasty and just a bit of alcohol presence on the end. just what i would expect from a strong wheat, very impressive.

decently carbonated, exceptionally smooth mouthfeel, decently thick

12% is barely noticeable - i'd have rated it ~6% by taste alone. tastes great. strong kick is not for guzzling, but could sip this all night.

3.24/5  rDev -23%

A: An aggressive pour yeilds a small white head and a cloudy dark brown body. The head quickly fades to a thin ring around the outside of the glass leaving no lacing behind.

S: Smells of sweet overripe dark fruits. Strong notes of clove and alcohol, also some banana in there.

T: Alcohol is quite present in this one, as expected at 12%. Lingering tastes are of clove and spices. Big malty character and a bit sweet, almost syrupy.

M: Not much carbonation as I would like, but it is quite smooth and goes down easy.

D: Although this beer is quite smooth, it has some very strong flavors that I'm not enjoying all that much. It's not a bad beer, just not to my liking.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearence - Murky brown, really dark, but not black like a stout, kinda like a deep chestnut color. Really no head to this, it dissipates so fast and leaves just a foam ring along the glass.

Smell - Smell is amazing, brown sugar, dark ripe fruit, caramel, and hints of alcohol. Quite possibly one of the best beers I have smelled.

Taste - Taste is ok, I guess after smelling it I had hoped it would taste like that, but this tastes like a really strong Weizenbock, which I guess in essence thats what it is. Would have ranked higher if it tasted just like it smelled.

Mouthfeel - Thick, very rich, a slight tingle from either the carbonation or alcohol, I cant tell which.

Drinkability - Definitly not a session beer, has a pretty high alcohol content and rich taste so its a sipper. I dunno as I would buy another, I have had a couple other eisbocks I have enjoyed more at a lower price.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

I have seen this beer sitting on our beer shelves for quite some time, finally decided to pick one up.

A: It pours a cloudy/hazy dark brown. I could actually see the cloudy'ness as I poured it. The head was nice off tan, which faded quickly.

S: Sweet and malty smell, I can't get super soft bananas out of my nostrils, maybe a very slight boozy note.

T: I have to say this is very well balanced. At 12% ABV I expected a very overpowering alcohol quality, not so! It taste a lot of the soft bananas, with light brown sugar. There are some slight dark fruits mixed in as well, plum and cherries.

M/D: The body is nice and rich, the carbonation is spot on. The drinkability is only limited by your capacity to handle 12% beer for an entire evening...

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours almost completely opaque black into the glass. Had a smallish head with tiny bubbles of carbonation, but I just kept noticing how dark it was.

Very big mouth feel with this this one. Flavors just explode; sweet, caramel malt, spicy clove, a bit of alcohol presence, too.

I finished this beer and enjoyed it to the end, but it had a pretty strong and lingering effect on me well after it was gone. Approach this one with respect.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass with a nice tan 1 inch head.
Mollasses & black licorice, I can taste the alcohol on the trail end of a sip, 3/4ths through and I can feel it.
Toasted and caramel malts with molasses and black licorice the primary tastes.

This is a good Eisbock no doubt, but my money is spent on the Kulmbacher Eisbock though

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Smells spicy, with dark fruits. Picking up some alcohol that lightly burns my nostrils. Taste is a little more impressive. Sweet plums, spices, figs, brown sugar, yeast, cola, and wheaty bread. Quite a bit going on here.

Alcohol is not as evident in the taste as the smell. Overall the flavor gets a little overwhelming after a while, which hurts the drinkability. However, mouthfeel seems perfect. Still amazed how much the 12% is supressed.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

L- Light to dark brown body with little to no head. Huge lacing

S- Alcohol, Grape, Lots of dark ester, sugar sweetness

T- This taste a lot like a ruby port with lots of grape, low carbonation, and it does have some complexity as the beer warms and the palate adjusts.

F- Drinks with a nice alcholol sting

D- (non-session) I would enjoy having this beer anytime. It is balanced and eisbocks are what helped get me into the game of craft beer. Mmm such nice grape flavors and complexities. Seek out if you have not tried it.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

I'm a huge fan of the original Aventinus so when I first heard about this brew (back in the late 90's?) I couldn't wait to try it. I ordered some of the striped bottles back then and liked them a lot. Later, this brew finally arrived where I lived so I bought some more. I still thought it was good, but not as good as the regular Aventinus. I bought some more bottles on a few more occasions over the years, but they seemed to be hit-and-miss. (I think some of the bottles were old.) However, about a year ago, I had some of this eisbock on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta and loved it. That restored my faith in this brew. Recently, I bought another bottle to try. I see that my bottle says 2007 on it. That made me a little nervous about it still having a fresh taste, but thankfully I'm enjoying this bottle quite a bit. It pours an unattractive, murky brown with little head. The aroma is a mix of classic weizen, but with some "stink" to it. I can't quite place my finger on what the stink is. Maybe it's just a phenolic that's a little bit out of control? Thankfully, the taste is better than the appearance and aroma. It tastes a lot like the regular Aventinus, but with more concentrations of everything. The alcohol seems to be well-hidden. Overall, I like this bottled brew, but I still think the regular Aventinus is easily superior. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to try some draft Aventinus Eisbock again in the future. It's been a little too long to remember for sure, but I think that version was better than this bottled version.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into a weizen - with the sediment swirled and included. Light, tawny lacing with staying power atop a dark brown - foggy body.

To the nose, grains are there - but the underlying theme is spiciness and wet earth.

In the mouth, this is one smooth beer. You are hit with layer after layer of sweet malts and grains. Very forthright from the beginning. This is no lightweight. The spices from the nose are there - but do not overpower the wonderful malts. There is a slight hop character that just doesn't make it past the malts.

The feel here is heavy and full - very substantial in the mouth. It's big alcohol and you know it - but not beyond the drinkability stage. It finishes still sweet - but very organic and not hard at all.

Musings: This beer will kick your ass. It is a delicious malt powerlode that will knock you out. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked this up, based on the recommendations of the authors of The Naked Pint. So glad I tried it, outstanding beer. Smooth, warm and intense all at the same time. Appearance: dark brown, reddish, very little head or lacing. Feel: almost syrupy and thick, maybe slightly viscous but the alcohol taste pushes through so it's not overly sickly sweet. Taste: cloves, bananas, malt, dark fruits, definitely can taste the alcohol but not in an obnoxious way. Smell: bananas, cloves, dark fruit. Drinkability: I probably wouldn't want more than one of these in a setting, due to the high alcohol content but I'll definitely have an occasional one for a special treat.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap."

Pours a deep amber with hints of purple. Light head with very little retention.

S: Nose is light with notes of nut bread, banana, plum, rasin

T: Rich with a strong alcohol finsh. Sweet plum and rasin with hints of dried fruit.

MF: Smooth with plenty of carbonation. The finish is a bit raw with alcohol. Could be because I served this in a shaker glass ... d'oh!

D: Great stuff, though I prefer the subtler Weizenbocks. Great flavor, though I don't think I could/should drink more than one of these in one sitting. It's 12% abv and there is no hidding it. All in all though an all around good beer. Try it for yourself!

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH