Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

4.25/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,637 |  Reviews: 1,170
4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Clear dark brown body with a small off white head.

A- Dark fruit, bananas, caramel, figs.

T- Quite a bit more boozy than the Weizenbock, leaves a bit of an alcohol burn. Superbly sweet. Wheaty clovey weizenbock feel, just stronger.

M- Full bodied and sticks around in my mouth. Moderate carbonation.

D- I was a bit surprised how boozy it was, but it was delicious. I'm not sure I could handle more than one.

4.49/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Good Spirits Co. Glasgow (330ml for £5.20):
Chestnut brown with some deep red tinges and a huge foamy head that is very slightly off-white.

Strong plum aroma and a lot of banana to kick things off, along with some figs and nice amount of alcohol. There is some raisins, a bit of bubblegum and a lot of spice up next, this together with some darker fruits and sugar. The smell of this one has a lot of depth and there is some clove making an appearance to along with some spice and grapes.

Alcohol to begin with but nothing overpowering, this is followed by most of what the nose promised. The taste consists of banana, cloves and dark fruits with figs, raisins and especially plums all featuring. There is some spice as expected and spice as expected along with a few malts. this taste is rounded of with some sweetness and a boozy alcohol flavour.

Full bodied and quite sweet with no bitterness and a fair amount of carbonation. It is quite boozy and dry towards the end and it certainly packs a punch.

The flavours where very well balanced and the beer went down better than I was expecting whilst still having to be sipped. The aroma was really something special though with each smell complimenting the previous.

3.64/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage.

A: Pours a very dark brown with good opacity due to the haziness of the yeast. Huge yeast particles settle on the bottom of the glass. This features really impressive head retention for 12% - I poured it about 4 minutes ago and there's still a solid off-white colored film left on top.

S: The first thing I notice is huge dark fruit sweetness, along with lighter fruit esters and even some faded hops. After a while, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate will enter the picture. There's a noticeable oxidation to the aroma, giving it both a stronger fruit vibe along with an underlying soy note to it. The alcohol presence is mercurial; it's about what I expected.

T: Flavors start off with a lot of ripe cherries and wheat malt. Afterwards, it shows hints of soy sauce (in a mild, pleasing fashion), chocolate, ripe pear, and apple. Not quite as deep, or even as intensely flavored as I expected. Once it warms up, it becomes more and more boozy without really contributing much complexity, and after a while becomes even sweeter; though it also becomes spicier in the finish as well. So yeah, this does have a bit of complexity and depth to it. Warts and all, this is a hell of an experience - and honest to God, it's enjoyable.

M: At the first sip, it's just about the silkiest damn thing I've ever put in my mouth. After a while, it becomes a bit more astringent and even boozy. Combined with the carbonation, it features that subtle 'airy sponge cake' quality to the texture. While it's hard for me to taste the alcohol, it's very easy to notice on the tongue, esophagus, and stomach - the syrupy finish doing its job to an extent.

O: Fresh, I'm sure the booze would knock my tongue out, but it's done a good job of evolving into something soft and mellow...ish. I seriously can't imagine how boozy this would be with only a month or two of age on it. The warmer it gets, the harsher it gets - and the less I want to drink it. Worth a try, but drink cold!

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Dark with a light and airy head that dissapated quickly.

Aroma: Bready, slightly sweet and molasses-y. Rich and deep. I think the aroma was my favorite part of this beer!

Taste/Body: Molasses flavor up front with prevalent hops. Deep, rich and spicy with a kicky tang. Thick mouthfeel.

Aftertaste: Moderate bitterness and tang.

Overall: Very delicious and lush with lots of depth and layers of flavor. Again, I really liked the aroma.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Alright, this is my first eisbock ever. I was expecting similarities to the other offerings from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn. Nope.

500mL into a tulip, this beer pours as plum-brown with a uniform opacity of color. Foam is rich and copious. Smell reminds me of malt, plums, molasses / demerara sugar, and soy sauce (it would make an interesting marinate for fish)

Into the pie hole: the first two characteristics noted were sweetness and richness. There are syrup-like qualities to this beer. It is intense and heavy. To my tastes this beer should be matched with food: chinese cuisine or deep fried/battered fish would pair nicely.

Overall, an excellent beer, with the 12% ABV not immediately apparent.

3.37/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Murky and dark, with a sweet tea appearance. No head at all, even when poured vigorously...only a very thin ring of tiny white bubbles. No lacing.

S: Alcohol is in the forefront, with a slightly fruity smell. It's a bit like raisins, or more accurately raisin bread...it has a slightly sweet smell that you get when cooking raisin bread.

T: The flavors are very similar to the scent. It has a huge fruity flavor up front, with some bread-like aftertaste. No bitterness, just lots of sweetness. I don't taste much alcohol. Very malty.

M: The mouthfeel is very very full. It is unquestionably a sipper. It has a pretty sharp bite.

O: I like this beer, especially for the fact that it is 12% and it masks the alcohol relatively well. You can still tell it is there, but it still tastes like a beer. There were only a few downsides, where I thought it was a bit too fruity and I would have liked more head...even though it's hard for a high alcohol beer to have a decent head, this didn't have one at all.

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Given this as a gift in a single bottle for christmas. Poured into a wheat beer glass, pours deep cloudy orange with a 2-3 finger white head.
From here on out, my review is biased; I was given this because I like eisbocks, but the giver didn't realize it was a weizen-eisbock. I'm sure this is a world-class beer as the Bros have said, but wheat beers are NOT my thing.
The smell disgusts me entirely, almost to the point of throwing up. That yeasty, wheaty aroma which I know is a sign of a great wheat beer, makes me sick. It smells like an old peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me.
The taste isn't much better; if I ignore the smell I can stomach it, but barely. It's just a yeasty mess in my mouth. Again, I know it's an excellent beer, but I really do not like the style.
Mouthfeel was good, relatively full-bodied as wheat beers are wont to be. Unfortunately for me, the full mouthfeel only exacerbated my gustatory distress.
Overall, I feel like I'm not being fair to this beer. It's obvious it's an excellent beer, but wheat beers in general are not my thing.

Purplish burgundy with off-white head that fades. Aroma of dark wheat, prunes, grapes, booze. Tastes of prunes, grapes, dark wheat, medicinal flavor, booze, minor apricots. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slick mouthfeel. Pretty tame for 12% ABV.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Beer rating: 91.3% out of 100 with 2,637 ratings