Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Ratings: 2,622 |  Reviews: 1,168

1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled January 14, 2011, so a little over 16 months old. Clean snifter for the pour.

Empties into the glass with a dense two-fingered head that is an absolute godsend with the 12% ABV in consideration. Incredible head retention for such a big beer. Residual yeast sediment swirled in definitely helps that department a bit. Opaque russet-brown color to the body. Looks rich and darker than my past eisbock experiences. Got some great alcohol legs.

This has an great nose! Smells like a candied version of the weizenbock. Caramel, hard tack candy, intensified clove, fried banana, booze sweetness, dark prune, apricot, and mild chocolate. The alcohol is smiling at me, but it's not overpowering.

Incredible. Chocolate-covered banana, cherry drop lozenge, toffee, candi sugar, spicy cloves, prune, bubblegum, cinnamon, canned pitted fruits, dark caramel, and lingering alcohol. Rummy with a quality booziness. Decadent. A dark German wheatwine. There's some lively vinous grape notes that are actually pretty standout, now that I thought of it. Healthy doses of sweet malts without the grainy notes. No huskiness, very very little tartness, and a pleasant sweetness. A hard-to-beat eisbock, in my opinion.

Smooth, but candied feel. Doesn't leave a whole lot of stickiness. Incredible carb presence that blows me away considering the strength and age of this beer.

Insanely drinkable eisbock with all of that great yumminess from the Aventinus Weizenbock. And, I thought Kulmbacher's was good. Best eisbock had to-date. One of the best beers had to-date. I know where I scored this bottle, and I WILL be back to clean out stock. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

2010 Vintage bottle # 009165

A - Pours a hazed russet brown with a fleeting cream colored head.

S - Caramelized cherry caramel aroma, plums, molasses, leather, cinnamon, allspice, prunes, very complex aroma of malts.

T - Sweet carmalized brown sugar, molasses just blankets the palate. Cherries, plums, red Bartlet pears, caramelized plantains, hints of cinnamon and all spice, some minor bitterness on the edges,

M - Chewy but smooth feel, light side of full bodied, low but spritzy carbonation.

I haven't had one fresh but this 2 year old is tasting mighty fine. Awesome yeast works with multiple layers of malt. Very complex flavors. One to be sipped and pondered on for sure.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up this bottle in pursuit of reviewing all 104 styles. It also works to hedge this beer entering the top 100 beers of fame. I like this two birds with one stone approach... who's kidding who? I'll still have two beers.

This is bottle number 2011 004298. My bottle is special, there is no other bottle like mine. I gave the appearance a half point bump for making my bottle special.

I really liked this beer. It smells and tastes great. There are a lot of venous quality in it. You get a bunch of dark fruit presence. The wheat turns a very different flavor to this.

I recommend this really good, easy to find beer for something completely different.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle 2011 005999

Pour vigorously, but seemed to produce little head. Sits in my oversized wine glass looking like flat cola. Not the greatest.

The smell is awesome. A boozy mix of apple jelly and grapes. Almost like a wine.

My first sip left me pleasantly surprised. Malty, sweet and boozy. Apples, cherry, syrup. Alcohol never overpowers, but is definitely present in the swallow. Flavors mix relatively well, but leave something to be desired that I cannot place my finger on.

Creamy and smooth enough to enjoy. Invites you to take sips until it's gone and your glass is empty.

This is an above average beer and everyone should at least try this, but I don't think I would really seek it out again.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH