Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Ratings: 2,629 |  Reviews: 1,168

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

that lovely unidentifiable purple-tinged ruby hue. no end to the satiny suds. replenishes with a flick of the wrist, still left behind after the well is dry.

absolutely mesmerizing blend of plum, vanilla, clove, and candied pear - olfaction satisfaction. nothing "yeasty". old-fashioned kind of perfume in the air. dried floral - lilac? ugh, i don't know.

the clove and vanilla come to the fore atop a very delicate malt foundation. esters abound but, then again, they don't. while the fruit flavors incredibly apparent, they are incredibly rounded off to the point of essence. the alcohol, though deceptively mellow, feels like it intensifies or gives more substance to the overall palate.

ridiculous creamy mouthfeel, silky soft and smooth, nary a burn from alcohol. spectral-lightness. as much as the lightest of lagers I'll confess.

out of the bottle, this is a treat. few parallel on tap.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy brown. It pours with a beautiful amount of thick creamy head.

S: I can smell bananas. It smells like the banana laffy taffy. I can smell a touch of wheat and a touch of caramel malts.

T: Again a very nice banana taste. There is a nice yeasty bread taste. I can also taste some marzipan. A taste of green grapes and plum towards the end.

M: There's a nice carbonation feel. I can let it warm up in my mouth with out to much of a sting.

O: I think this is a great Eisbock. It's interesting, feels great in my mouth, and most importantly taste great.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy brown and was almost opaque in the glass. Fizzy head that disappeared immediately. Very little visible carbonation. Looks dead.

Smell: Smells sweet, rich, and less alcoholic than I would have thought. Banana, esters, and dark fruit aromas. Some molasses/caramel sweetness.

Taste: Very alcoholic to start with, also masking other flavors. Dark fruit flavors and molasses like sweetness. Almost too sweet (syrupy) with the alcohol and sugar giving a weird tingle in the back of your throat. Off flavors present at the end as well.

Mouthfeel: Strong alcohol bite that makes the beer a little hard to truly savor. Little carbonation makes it feel very flat and lifeless. Medium body.

Drinkability: Too much alcohol and too little flavor. Lack of carbonation and off flavors may indicate a bad bottle, though.

Buy Again? Maybe, to see if this one was an aberration.

3.52/5  rDev -16.4%

A- a good looking beer. A nice amber-yellow color that forms a stable, thick white head

S- Smells citrusy, with hints of caramel coming through

T- Banana is the most prevalent taste, although it starts off a bit citrusy. alcohol taste not overwhelming

M- very smooth and pleasant to swallow. Not harsh on the mouth at all

O- This a good beer. Although not a fan of banana taste in general, I can see how this beer would have much appeal with others. It scores well in other categories.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.17/5  rDev -1%

First EISBOCK beer I have had, so, please excuse me if I am incorrect in my findings.
I have loved the Schnieder Aventinus beers, so I was looking forward to this one.
The aroma was nothing special, not hoppy, not a lot of bouquet.
The pour was very nice, but more of a sherry to me than a beer.
The first taste, I was taken back, didnt like it at all. I let it settle for a while, then took another slow sip. It was full of malt and had a subtle sweetness to it. In fact, I enjoyed it. More so, as a slow sipping beverage, like I would a Port or Sherry, then I would a beer.
The finish was big and strong, probably related to the percentage of alcohol.
Some times I run across a beer that I feel is a beer, but not really. This is one of them. I could easily pour this and show it as a slightly carbonated sherry or so other fortified wine.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH