Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Reviews: 1,160 | Ratings: 2,597
3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

I have to admit right off the bat, this is my first Eisbock. I tried to keep that in mind while rating this beer.
It poured a medium brown color with virtually no head. Lots of carbonation and very little sediment. What head it did have faded quickly leaving only minimal lacing on the glass. The color was similar to that of many other darker beers I’ve had, but there was something less attractive about this one. I can’t seem to put my finger on it, it was just brownish, not a golden hue to be found.
The smell was strong and exciting; mostly apple and wheat, but loads of alcohol and sour fruits. Possibly some clove and citrus.
The taste was overwhelming at first; I knew to expect alcohol but that’s by far the first thing you notice. And lots of it. Bitter and sours fruits, an almost cider-like apple quality, plenty of wheat. It starts out very bittersweet and acidic, but ends with a less intense, softer almost sweet flavor.
This was enjoyable but I’ll need much more experience with Eisbocks to make a good judgment. Also this is a 12% beer, so not the kind of beer you want to down a 6er of. Give it a try anyhow, see what you think.

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

Bought a .33L bottle at The City Beer store in San Francisco ($5.69). A little pricey for a small bottle but I hadn't tried this before and thought I would give it a go.

A - poured a dark, reddish brown. Light foam that dissolved quickly leaving very little lace. Lots of yeast residue left in the bottle.

S - Banana at first with malt coming in later. Very subtle.

T - Lots of residual malt with some clove. 12% alcohol that is in the periphery.

MF - Thick. I've never had an Eisbock before and you can tell that some of the water has been taken out. Interesting. Not syrupy but thick.

D - Very good. Not something to take lightly. Better suited for a cold day and I had this on a hot one. Would like to try it in the winter.

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy is an understatement - you can't see through an inch of this stuff. Dark brown liquid topped by a somewhat creamy head.

S - Huge fruity aromas, with a spicy touch. sweet smelling and boozy.

T/M - First impression is creamy mouthfeel, that slides all the way back. Drier than expected with notes of dried fruit and booziness. Bitterness is actually quite assertive as well. Most definitely a warming brew. Has a bit of a wheaty twang as well.

D - This is obviously a big beer, and not for the weak of palate. I feel a little overmatched here. Wouldn't want to drink a whole one myself (very often anyway). Better for sharing between 2 or 3 ppl and take it slow.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

I'm a huge fan of the original Aventinus so when I first heard about this brew (back in the late 90's?) I couldn't wait to try it. I ordered some of the striped bottles back then and liked them a lot. Later, this brew finally arrived where I lived so I bought some more. I still thought it was good, but not as good as the regular Aventinus. I bought some more bottles on a few more occasions over the years, but they seemed to be hit-and-miss. (I think some of the bottles were old.) However, about a year ago, I had some of this eisbock on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta and loved it. That restored my faith in this brew. Recently, I bought another bottle to try. I see that my bottle says 2007 on it. That made me a little nervous about it still having a fresh taste, but thankfully I'm enjoying this bottle quite a bit. It pours an unattractive, murky brown with little head. The aroma is a mix of classic weizen, but with some "stink" to it. I can't quite place my finger on what the stink is. Maybe it's just a phenolic that's a little bit out of control? Thankfully, the taste is better than the appearance and aroma. It tastes a lot like the regular Aventinus, but with more concentrations of everything. The alcohol seems to be well-hidden. Overall, I like this bottled brew, but I still think the regular Aventinus is easily superior. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to try some draft Aventinus Eisbock again in the future. It's been a little too long to remember for sure, but I think that version was better than this bottled version.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

a barleywine tempered by the taste of some wheat and over-the-top barley. This is not an ice-filtered weizen. Barleywine aroma and colour. The original Eisbock? Well that's something, although I thought that happened in the WWI transportation to the Kraut troops.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Oooops. I wasn't aware of this one's beastly stature when I cracked it. Good thing I'm not working tomorrow.

Weizen Eisbock is extremely hazy and dark nut brown in color. Light reveals a few orange highlights. Despite the cloudiness, I'm not noticing any material yeast particles floating around. Carbonation is very active and yields a tan head that's over three fingers tall. It receded to a surface level quickly. Lacing was light. I wasn't expecting much after I noticed the 12% abv.

The nose is good. It starts out with a nice fruity scent. It's broad and features some apple, pear, and banana in addition to a little plum and fig. Spices are prominent. Cinnamon, ginger, and clove are noted. Overall it has a strong malty character. Yeast and grainy notes are secondary, but play a nice complementary role. Alcohol is prominent. It comes through a little too strong. Yeah, it's kind of boozy. It smells good, but is hindered a little by the alcohol. It gives a slightly medicinal aroma.

The flavor is very good. That much is apparent on the first sip. It is very malty, but not overly sweet. Light apple and pear flavors are noted, but take a backseat to banana, plum, and fig. Cinnamon and clove spices are prominent and complement its fruity flavor very nicely. It has a bit of an earthy character from grainy notes. Yeast is present and has a nice effect. I really like the aforementioned flavors a lot. They work very well in tandem. The alcohol is just a little over the top and knocks it down a peg. It's strong in flavor and has a definite warming effect. It's boozy and approaches hot. It produces a bit of a medicinal flavor that I'm not big on. Somehow it manages to hold up pretty well and is enjoyable despite that inhibitor.

The body is full and almost syrupy. It's very smooth and creamy. Carbonation seems light and restrained, though it appears extremely active. Interesting, but very well done. Drinkability is okay. I like the flavor, but it's boozy and warm. At 12% abv, it's just a bit too strong.

Weizen-Eisbock is good beer. There's no question about that. I like it quite a bit. It has a nice, deep flavor and is solid all-around. The high abv is the obvious thing that holds it back. It's just too much and hurts the overall experience to a degree. Personally, I think this beer would be a tremendous success at 9% or 10% and would still fit within the Eisbock style guidelines. As it is, it's just a little too boozy and warm. Having said that, the flavor still manages to succeed. It's an easy recommendation, but I can see it being a little better with a tweak or two.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

December 21, 2014

11.2 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Deep amber to moderate brown, malty and fairly hazy. An off-white foam stand of about ½ an inch, with high retention.

S – Bananas Foster with caramel ice cream. Bananas are first, coated in brown sugar, lots of caramel and toffee in the mix. Hops are not discernible. Dessert in a bottle. Slightly boozy alcohol note, mostly an impression of warmth.

T – Very similar to the aroma, with more accent on the bananas, less on the brown sugar. However, a lot of residual sugar, which comes through as very sweet caramel. Some very mild bitterness, presumably from early hopping, but a bit too sweet in spite of that. Alcohol provides some mild warmth on the finish.

M – Well carbonated, fairly thick and sudsy. Mostly sweet, perhaps overly balanced in that direction. A mild burn from the alcohol in the finish.

O – This was one of the, if not THE, best aroma experiences I’ve had with a beer. The sweetness is a bit cloying but I do like the alcohol warmth. Unfortunately the flavor does not equal the aroma.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Schneider's Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock last week for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I have never tried this style before, so I went to the store to see if they had any I wound up with this one, the only Eisbock they had, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage Bottle #12966. Poured from a brown 11.2oz skinny bottle.

A- The label looks nice the shiny silver looks good against the purple background and it catches the eye. It poured a very dark muddy brown color that took on some nice mahogany hues when held to the light with barley a fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded to nothing leave no lacing behind and noticeable alcohol legs. This is good looking for the style, I really liked the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that takes on some brown sugar and molasses like aroma followed by loads of malts that impart some bready, caramel, and wheat like aromas. After that comes the fruits which are mainly dark fruits with plum and raisins sticking out the most with some apple cider and a slight banana like aroma coming through. Towards the end I get a slight bit of spicy yeast with some cloves coming through and there is a noticeable alcohol aroma. This beer had a very good aroma, the fruits were nice and fairly complex.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, it starts of with a high amount of sweetness that impart a slight molasses flavor followed by loads of malts that impart a bready, caramel, and wheat flavors. Up next comes the fruits which are pretty much dominate by the dark fruits with some raisins, plums and concord grapes coming through along with a slight hint of banana. On the finish there's a light amount of spicy yeast with cloves sticking out the most followed by a pretty strong alcohol flavor that is pretty warming and it seems to blend with a lighter amount medium bitterness with a sweet and boozy dark fruit aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but the alcohol was a little to harsh and could have been hidden better.

M- Not so smooth, warming, chewy, on the fuller side being medium bodied, with a very low amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel seems to be true to style, it was nice.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of the style, but since this is my first one I'm mainly going off of how BA describes the style, and it seems to pretty similar to that. This beer didn't have the greatest drinkability, it's for sure a sipper, but the flavors did do a good job at holding my attention but one bottles is just the right amount, no way I would anymore than that, it would get too sweet and boozy. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, It was very good and full of nice fruity aromas that were pretty pleasing and it had just enough wheat in it. What I liked the least about this beer was how boozy it was, I know it's !2% but the alcohol seems a little harsh to me and I think it could have hidden better. I might buy this beer again for special occasion, but I don't see my getting it again in the near future, but I would I feel like it's worth trying, I think wine lovers would really like this. All in all I wasn't really impressed with this beer, but I wasn't disappointed either, I just think that that alcohol could have been hidden a little better and that really hurt the drinkability, but the other than that the flavors and aromas were pretty nice. This is my second beer from this brewery and I for sure like the Wiezenbock the most and I would like to try more of their beers and I will be on the look out for more examples of this style. It's a nice sipper, but I wouldn't call it a favorite.

Sampled on 4-30-08
2004 Vintage

Pours a vile mess, deep brown in color with a ton of chunky, yeast floaters.

Smell is very sweet, dark fruits with malted milk balls. Boozy at the end, with a wine-like finish.

Taste is thick and fruity, and very warmingl. The finish dry and tart, from the booze. Not overly sweet, and does not taste overly aged.

Mouthfeel is good, very viscous and meaty.

Drinkability is not super good, the alcohol definitely makes its presence known.

Overall, alot like a Belgian strong dark ale. Very deep and fruity with a wine character. Recommended, just don't pour out the yeast.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Pour is a murky brownish dark purple with a tight tan head. Nose is much like regular aventinus, lots of esters, banana, lemon. A hint of peppery spice with a good bit of dark berry fruits. Taste has a touch of booze through the finish, full bodied with strong carbonation and a light burn. Lots of dark berries, light banana and a touch of spice to it.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Vintage 2007 bottle. Was saving this to share with Ben at our "tasting" (aka The Shit Show) but didn't make it around to this. Oh well, I can take it down by myself, right?

Pours a hazy brown into my Tulip Glass. Head is sort of multicolored, it's toffee tan at the bottom and white at the top. Very lively carbonation. Possibly the biggest floaties of any beer I've ever had. There was some the size of my thumbnail. The carbonation was so intense it was lifting these things up and tossing them around. It was hard not to drink them.

The nose is a lot like the normal Aventinus, but more concentrated (big surprise). Intense yeast and dark fruit smell. Also, we can't forget about our warming friend, alcohol.

This has some intense flavor going on. Yeast and dried dark fruits, brown sugar and alcohol. This is a Weizenbock on steroids for sure. There is a slight bit of oxidation that has crept in the near 3 years since this bottle was born, but it's nothing to terrible. I also get a metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Subtle carbonation. Drinability is marvelous considering this is a 12% beer.

This is a great beer, but I couldn't drink this often. One, this one bottle gave me a good buzz, and two, honestly I'd rather have the normal Aventinus.

500ml bottle into snifter. best before oct. 18. consumed on january 28, 2015

a: murky chestnut with a finger of tan head

s: huge overripe banana, caramel, toasted nuts, vanilla, and slight alcohol, followed by vinous dark fruits and mild cinnamon-clove spices

t: sweet overripe banana, figs, raisins, caramel, almonds. the back-end bitterness feels a bit medicinal due to the banana flavours + alcohol

m: medium-ish body which is lighter than what i expected, but it's still somewhat sticky and syrupy. dry finish

o: ultra sweet and indulgent beer, if you're into that kinda thing. it's great, but i won't be seeking this out again in the near future

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a hazy, deep purple-amber color that is topped by a tan head. Aromas of deep fruit, banana, and a bit of alcohol are found in the nose. The taste is sweet, and the beer has quite a light body despite being concentrated. The alcohol is found starting in the middle and going through the finish of this beer. There does not seem to be enough beer here to stand up to the alcohol. There are some nice notes of clove, a hint of banana, and concentrated fruit (raisin is dominant). As it warms up a bit the body becomes smoother and creamy, though the astringent alcohol remains in the finish. Overall this was just a bit disappointing, the ice-concentration left this beer a bit unbalanced, though it is still pretty good.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

a: This was a muddied dark brown. It poured with a smallish, creamy white head.

s: Huge aromas of yeasty, wheaty bananas dominate. Not much of the spiciness from the original comes through.

t: Big, yeasty, phenolic flavors of bananas and rasins absolutley crush the palate. I could feel the 12% abv more than I could taste it if that makes sense. This was good, but I prefer the more subdued original.

m: The chewy body and creamy carbonation are still here. The only difference is a warmer exhale.

d: I struggled a little with the 11.2 ounce bottle. I'm glad to have tried this, but I'll go back to the original.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #033356. Served in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature with a hunk of Chimay cheese.

Appearance- Pours a surprisingly light port tinged orange, with just a rim of head to encircle the beer's crown.

Smell- Gigantic malts and alcohol immediately on the nose... concentrated and enormously strong.

Taste- The initial blast on the tongue prepared me for what I thought would be a wicked alcohol burn... however, the bombastic flavors overshadowed this. A concentrated malt backbone lays the foundation, and a candy-like donkey kick to the taste buds follows next. Terrific balance, as a glittering hop tingle finishes after the swallow. No shortage of flavor here... it's mouth-encompassing just like a great Old Ale that's been cellaring for a few years.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Delightfully active and graceful in the mouth, and very refined... I was expecting something maybe along the lines of Scaldis, with its big ABV... this is a pleasure, so full of character. Almost too big for even a dessert beer, yet easy drinking... yes, quite a paradox. This is a difficult beer to review, so sample one for yourself and tell us what you think.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Sampled at From The Vine monthly beer tasting Aug 4th, 2003: Pours a dark amber-brown with a medium beige head and thin lacing. Pours a dark brownish-amber with a medium beige head and thin lacing. Aroma of sweet cherry, banana and cloves. Kind of rich, with a strong malt and alcohol presence over the wheat. This style is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Like a cross between malt liquor and a Weiss? The alcohol is very noticeable throughout. The finish is malty and fruity (plum). Definitely worth a return visit.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Opaque dark amber, tan head.
S: Sassafras/sasparilla, ripe banana, fenols, rubber, some sweetness.
T: Pears in alcohol, a little bitterness, sourness, yeasty taste, alcohol. Apricot in the adtertaste
M: Above medium body, tiny bubbles of carboration.

12oz. bottle provided by AKSmokedPorter via BS-BIF

Pours a hazy deep chestnut brown with a very small head that instantly recedes. No lacing on the glass.

Very complex aroma. Lots of sweet, dark fruity aromas with a hint of chocolate. There is also a slight breadiness present and some alcohol aroma as well. The alcohol becomes more present as it warms.

A sweet malty fruitiness upfront followed by a slight chocolate taste. This is washed away by a swift alcohol bite and finishes slightly sweet and fruity. Don't let it warm up too much or the alcohol really takes over.

Big full body, it lets it all hang out.

Quite drinkable considering the big ABV. Just pace yourself or you'll wake up on the floor.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Pils glass. A rush of carbonation bubbles race to the top but no head remains after the initial pour. Caramel, figs, plums and grapes are the main things I get from the first noseful. The malts dominate the the full body leaving a sweet syrupy and fruity finish. The alcohol only enters into the equation as it hits my stomach. At $3.00 a bottle this is a steal for what's inside.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

it's been a hard night of drinking
and this still stands up with multiple beverages
dark brown body off white head thats sticks
lovely candied aroma
sweet malty taste
Das, das ist gut

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a reddish copper with moderate carbonation. Has a short head that dissipates quickly revealing some legs.

N: Raspberry, prune juice, overripe plum, blackberry and heavy doses of caramel and toffee.

T: Black raspberry, caramel, toffee and candy sugar upfront. Mid-palate travels through with concord grape, bread and toasted wheat; heavy on the wheat. Finishes with sugar coated dark fruits comprised of plum, raisin and prunes. Some booze is apparent.

M: Full bodied, velvety, smooth, sticky and warming.

O: A lot of dark fruit and berry notes. Some booze is apparent but it is rather pleasant. Pretty easy to drink at 12%.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

11.2 fl. oz. poured into pint glass. Purchased Dec. 27, 2010. Consumed Dec. 31, 2010. Bottle number: 2009 028384. 12% ABV.

Appearance: Dark caramel colour and slightly cloudy (I agitated it a little bit by accident) with a nice ecru coloured head.

Smell: Huge dose of malt with a slight bubblegum smell.

Taste: Velvety malt (not cloying), but still has wheat characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Rich and velvety, but there is still a bit of prickly carbonation. Actually, I think a little less carbonation would have been desirable.

Drinkability: At 12% ABV, this is a hefty beer. However, I get no heat. Ultimately, I think this beer could use perhaps a couple years to become truly excellent. I have a great respect for G. Schneider & Sohn, and they will always have a place in my refrigerator.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this ale tonight, served om a bottle and Celebrator glass at the Old Stein Inn in Edgewater, MD.

Appearance: Deep auburn-orange color, this ale had a great deal of sediment when poured into the glass. The bottle poured with an acceptable amount of head.

Smell: Malts come up from the glass, establishing themselves as the predominant flavor and smell of the ale. The malts are not so strong though that they reek of sweetness.

Taste: Malts hit the taste buds immediately. They are slightly sweet, providing a nice counterbalance to the high abv. The sweetness of the malts gives way to a pleasant, even wheat taste after a few seconds.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits nicely in the mouth. The wheat character provides a bit of tanginess that mixes well with the sweetness of the malt.

Drinkability: The drinkability is limited by the 12% abv, but the ale is nicely balanced and the wheat adds a distinct taste.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

My wife got this from her work.

Appearance- dark brown color, nice size head

Smell- dark fruit

Taste- strong flavor of dark fruit, sweetness

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good. I would have it again.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Clear deep amber to brown color as it sets in the glass with a modest and semi-creamy head, the color a winsome light tan, as is erodes a fine and sticky sheet of lace covers the glass. Nose is sweet malt with hint of caramel and bubble gum, fresh and quite pleasing, the start is somewhat sweet, rich in malt, top is light to medium in feel. Finish has a mild carbonation, the hops meek, pleasant, slightly tart aftertaste, and a quite quaffable brew tis’ true.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH