Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Reviews: 1,153 | Ratings: 2,575
3.91/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very dark amber color with only a thin coating of head that dissipates almost instantly to a thin collar. Pours thick as hell, almost like maple syrup.

Smell: Dark fruit, bread, clove, grape, a bit of a dark berry character with noticeable sweetness.

Taste: Mostly the same as the aroma. Strong dark fruit, clove spice, brown sugar and wheat. There's a slight astringency in the middle and finish which detracts a bit from the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is low/medium and just enough to keep the flavors moving along and prevent it from becoming cloying. Alcohol hidden well, with it only really making itself known with a medium warmth in the chest after the finish.

Overall: This is my first eisbock, so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but this was a really good beer. If it wasn't for the astringency mentioned above, this would have scored higher (not sure if this is typical for the style or not), but even with that, it's still worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer pours a cloudy brown. There is quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass. The head is light tan. It fades a little quick, leaving very few laces.

This beer has a malty aroma. I detect some dark fruits. Not much on the hops. The 12 percent ABV is hidden well. It does have a very slight rum like aroma.

This beer tastes a lot like it smells. It has a malty caramel like flavor. It also has a raisin or plumb like flavor. Not very hoppy at all. It has a very subtle spicy flavor.

This beer is full bodied. It goes down smooth, leaving a very malty aftertaste. The alcohol, after a few sips, warms the throat as it goes down.

This is probably not a great session beer. It is a bit high in alcohol. Also, the flavor is pretty aggressive. It is a good beer though. I am glad to have had the chance to try it.

550 ml bottle
Back in the LCBO as a Winter Warmer.

Pours a murky deep brown with a light tan fizzy head. Recedes quickly. Nose is dark grapes, bread, sweet spices & caramel malt. Taste is complex as well, dark fruits are forefront, some phenol noticeable, cloyingly sweet and mild finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied. Large format bottle is nice looking, great label, wish I liked this more than I do! Not a favourite style of beer I guess. Drinkable for sure, smooth on the palate and easy to enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle served in a weizen glass at Pazzo's Lexington (review from notes)

A: Deep ruby-mahogany body with a huge, cream-colored whipped head; serious head retention - it stuck around for the entire glass

S: Bananas, cloves, toasted grains and a huge rush of boozy alcohol

T: Ripe bananas are sweet up front; cinnamon and cloves add a nice spicy touch; toasted wheat notes are followed by a strong alcohol punch - peppery and with a slight sting; quite a rich beer that packs a wallop both in flavor an alcohol content

M: Slightly crisp on the front end but with a bit of a fluffy/powdery mouthfeel reminiscent of a Belgian tripel

D: Alcohol is huge in this one and dominates throughout. The only reason why I docked the overall score of the beer is simply because of how "hot" this eisbock was. It probably wasn't helped by the fact that drinking this one slowly also allowed the glass to warm more, bringing more of the alcohol flavor to the forefront. For me, the fantastic flavors that I typically associate with weizenbocks (warm banana bread, cinnamon, clove spiciness) just get overpowered by the alcohol to the point where it seems like more of a chore to try to finish my pint.

Will give this one another go-around at a later point in time to see how my palate has changed and if the alcohol will still try to punch it into submission.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance - pours a cocoa-cola brown with large irregular chunks of stuff floating around. The effervescence is strong enough that it is lifting these chunks upwards instead of letting then settle out. A tan head is under-developed and doesn't last long.

Aroma - intense yeast and grain, alcohol is prominent.

Taste - sweet, grainy, raisiny. A Belgian candy taste, yeasty flavors come in late. Brash, hot alcohol is in every aspect of this beer. An intense weizenbock for sure.

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, good carbonation, nicely done.

Drinkability - a potent form of wheat brew, a good pick now and then.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a murky brown with a lot of chunks, half finger head
S: Banana, cloves, chalky, vanilla, half baked bread, sweet malt
T: A hefewiezen on steroids, you can really taste the alchohl in this one, packs a sweet malty boozy punch, aftertaste is clean
F: Very heavy, quite thick, low carbonation, creamy
O: A very heavy beer that would be good with a large steak, worth a try

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap."

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Aventinus is one of a couple of beers I make a point of always having at least a pair of in my fridge--it's one of the best beers currently available in Ontario, it's one my girlfriend really enjoys so we can have it together, and I managed to snag an official Aventinus Weizen glass some months ago, and it's just too damn pretty not to use regularly.

Point is: I'm surprised it took me this long to try the Aventinus Eisbock. But it did.

Pours a deep unpolished garnet, murky and dark reddish brown, topped by a tight, off-white head. The Aventinus glass seems especially designed to agitate the beer with every sip so that the head is indefatigably kept alive. Sneaky.

It also helps perfectly capture the aroma. There's definite booze and cherries in the nose, with Belgian-funk and Bavarian-banana battling for top spot. It reminds me of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale or quad. Somewhat plummy and raisiny. Definitely phenolic. And I'm just as surprised as you are that I'm using the word Belgian when reviewing a German beer. But there it is. Deal.

You can taste the booze right off the bat, as alcohol coats and both warms and numbs the mouth. Once I'm passed that I get a strong malty cherry liqueur, with notes of apricot and almond, with an anis like quality, some dark fruits and and warming spice, almost reminiscent of something mulled. Finishes very dry. Very warming. No real hops present with most of the taste seeming to come from the malt and alcohol.

It's quite velvety and creamy, more and more syrupy as it warms, but with enough carbonation to help lift it off the palate.

I like this. I really like this. I love wheat beers and Belgian Strong Dark Ales and this has a bit of both going on. But, honestly, other than the two I bought on top of this to cellar, I don't think I'll come back to this one too often. The regular Aventinus is absolute perfection--and 8.2% ABV is more than enough to get me buzzed. This one falls into the category of too much of a good thing.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

purchased at BevMo. Haven't had this in a while and I thought I'd work on my 'german', bad joke. Bottle says it was bottle in 2009. I'm curious as to when in 2009. This bottle be a year old and I wouldn't know!

Poured chilled into a wide mouth wine glass. Without getting near the glass I can already smell alcohol and slight sugary malt notes. No head, and the hue of the brew is a murky cola color. Upon taking a proper whiff this smells like a strong bock beer. The alcohol isn't cutting through as much as I thought, but the malt certainly is. I smell some kind of fruit dipped in alcohol. It's refreshing and pleasant. Decent amount of carbonation cuts through my pallet. Notes of sugar and dark fruit are present with an alcoholic after taste that almost reminds of of cough syrup, but in a good way. Perfect for sipping. There's more carbonation than I would like, but what can I do? At 12% this is a great beer to take your time with, you'll definitely only need one of these.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

.33l bottle purchased from Hop City in Atlanta.

A- Pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues when held up to the light. Lots of bubbles with a pearl-like white head. Great retention
S- Complex dark fruity esters with a little alcohol bite at the end. I get some grapes, banannas, cloves...
T- Some dark fruits, bananna. Sweet up front with quite an alcohol zing on the finish. Tastes like an imperial hefe. You can definately tell beer is high in ABV.
M- Medium to full body, lightly carbonated. Slightly thick, but not too heavy.
D- Decent drinkability, especially for 12%. I want more but I don't think I could finish more than one bottle.

Overall, a well done beer for such a high ABV. Not one I would want in multiples or frequently, but a good sipper to sit down with and enjoy occasionally. I'll take the regular Aventinus for a day-to-day basis.

2004 vintage

Pours cloudy light brown with a few bubbles, but no head retention to speak of.

The smell is of dark grains, fruitiness - banana especially - and strong alcohol.

The taste is of sweet caramel with banana clove and plenty of alcohol. Not really complex, but still tasty. Full-bodied.

It's thick, rich creamy. Alcohol lingers in an assertive way. Sweetness lingers.

This is a nice sipping brew. Personally, I prefer the original Aventinus. - but this is a nice twist on it. Sweet, thick and strong. Too much for more than one - but, one to sip and savor is nice.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Appears to have been bottled on the 187th day of 2010... around July 2010, I suppose?

Pours dark brown with a large off-white head. Head is very very active- carbonation is super fizzy, like a soda. Dissipates almost as quickly too, leaving almost nothing, jut a small ring of film.

Smell contains a lot of cherry, smells a bit like a port. Some alcohol and a bit of a bubble gum scent.

Taste is quite sweet. Has a syrupy flavour to it which becomes more pronounced as the beer sits in the mouth. Caramel is noticeable. The cherry and fruit of the nose is present as well, but not quite as up front as in the smell. Alcohol is clearly present.

Body of the beer is not as super carbonated as the head would have suggested. Certainly noticeable, but not irritating. Full body, a bit syrupy, but a little lighter than I may have expected from such a strong beer. Heat from the alcohol has some effect.

Good beer, but not the gem that I may have hoped for given the reviews. The wheat qualities are noticeable, but pretty subdued. I certainly like it, but can't seem myself drinking it that often, as it is not good enough to justify the investment that 500ml of 12% brew requires!

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearence - Murky brown, really dark, but not black like a stout, kinda like a deep chestnut color. Really no head to this, it dissipates so fast and leaves just a foam ring along the glass.

Smell - Smell is amazing, brown sugar, dark ripe fruit, caramel, and hints of alcohol. Quite possibly one of the best beers I have smelled.

Taste - Taste is ok, I guess after smelling it I had hoped it would taste like that, but this tastes like a really strong Weizenbock, which I guess in essence thats what it is. Would have ranked higher if it tasted just like it smelled.

Mouthfeel - Thick, very rich, a slight tingle from either the carbonation or alcohol, I cant tell which.

Drinkability - Definitly not a session beer, has a pretty high alcohol content and rich taste so its a sipper. I dunno as I would buy another, I have had a couple other eisbocks I have enjoyed more at a lower price.

2004 bottle #18726

A: Pours a drab, cola looking concoction with a fizzy head. Fizzy like cola I might add. No head. None. And thats all I can say about that.

S: Huh. Not what I was expecting but I'm intrigued. Immediate thoughts are fresh cream with a minor backbone of caramel, hint of smoke and a smidgeon of alcohol. I think the age has done something to this beer. The aroma is not bock-like nor weizen.

T: Now thats smooth. Begins lightly malty with some serious creamy caramel flavors. Transitions quickly to blackstrap molasses then glides out leaving a wake of raisins, prunes and vanilla. There is alcohol in this beer, the numbness across the palate lets you know.

M: Full body but the mouthfeel isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. Has a touch of pricklyness.

D: 2004 doesn't seem to old for this beer but I feel a lot of the flavors are muted than they should be. The nose was the first hint. Very good regardless but I'd like to try this beer with a bit more bite so I know what I'm missing.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into chalice glass; a thick head dissapears almost instantly, leaving just a bit around the edges. Nice appearance...dark brown colour that is quite cloudy, due to the wheat. I've got a bit of sediment floating around in my glass.

Very strong smell... mostly of spices and alcohol.

The first sip of this ale was a bit overwhelming for me, with alcohol immediately present and not very well hidden. Fruit and malt tastes are also there.

Mouthfeel is strange. Faily light for such a dark looking ale and a bit fizzy.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, considering the alcohol %, but should really only be sipped. Any attempt to chug this beer could result in a trip to the hospital.

I don't know what to say. This beer is intense, making it difficult for me to fully embrace it... yet it's rough character and unique taste are well matched to the 12% alcohol content. I beleive I would try this beer again, perhaps in a different glass.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: Pours an extremely thick opaque pitch with 1 finger of frothy, sticky, white head. Alcoholic aroma flows out of the bottle while pouring. Though it looks black in the glass, it glows ruby red when held up in light.

Smell: Wow, sweet spicy alcohol hits you like a slap in the face... or rather, a swift kick to the balls. Notes of sugar cane, molasses, cloves, powerful cinnamon and nutmeg, and a strange higher tone of freshness. Like smelling alcoholic pumpkin pie spices (I should try that for my next Thanksgiving).

Taste: Carbonation first tingles the tongue. This is followed by a tart, sour cherry or blood orange acidity. Bitterness ensues; the same type of bitterness as eating chinese herbal medicine. A slight rubbing alcohol taste afterwards. I would rate this one higher, but the alcohol is a little too evident.

Overall: This is POWERFUL. I mean... WHEW. I've had some Belgian 12%'s but the alcohol wasn't nearly as noticeable. This seems like it'd do a pretty good job cleaning engines... or killing brain cells. (catch the reference?)

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Served from a wooden cask at Chappy's. What a treat! Dark chestnut color with no head at all.

Yeasty, with some nice banana, and caramel notes. Some alcohol in the nose as well, but nothing overwhelming. Slight spicy component lingering around as well. Aroma really comes alive after it warms.

Rich, darker malt feel up front, without being very sweet. Some banana and yeasty notes. A good boozy feel, without being overly hot. No character from the wood, which seems odd. Again, this really comes alive when warmed up a bit, and throws some sherry-like notes. Very nice.

Warming, lighter body, low carbonation. Complex. Very nice to have this, quite enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 500mL bottle purchased at a Kingston LCBO as part of their winter seasonal selection. Poured into a small nosing glass for this tasting.

Alarmingly large head... cloudy orange-brown body with a large offwhite head that dissipates quickly.

Aromas of banana and bubblegum are immediately perceived. A bit of alcohol on the nose, not bad at 12% abv though. Notes of vanilla, yeast, some caramel and perhaps some medicinal character (cough medicine?). Bread. Whisky-like oakiness. Not too complex.

Big mouthfeel, remarkably carbonated.

Very sweet and syrupy on the palate. Bananas and plums. Hot finish, I suppose anything carbonated at 12% will feel like this. Imagine carbonated red wine... very punchy. Molasses, licorice, yeast, grape skins, pepper. Herby and medicinal, almost like bitters (liqeur). Spiced chocolate? Some sour citrus rind in there too. Feels like it could be loaded with tannins. Interesting.

A German powerhouse. I like how it retains the characteristics of the wheat very well. Why did they put this in a 500mL bottle?!?!

Edit: not as drinkable as I thought. The fact that it is 2/3 the size of a bottle of wine, just as strong, and as sweet as port makes it a little hard to finish. Still tasty though.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle. Pours brown with a long lasting, off-white, foamy head. Aroma is of barnyard yeast, wheat malt, brown sugar and alcohol. The body is full, smooth and creamy. Taste is of dark fruit, wheat malt, yeast and brown sugar. Long, warming finish. The bottle was old, but the brew was still great.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a very dark, hazy brown with a much more prominent head than was expeted considering its ABV. The head looks really creamy, slightly beige and lasts for a few minuts before diminishing to a firm lid om the liquid.

Smells huuuge of bananas! Banana-candy and sweet rather heavy alcohol-aroma to it, reminds me of a banana-liqour I once tried. Although the bananas are very much in your face, there are lots of spicy and herbal notes, I get thyme and coriander the most, but also a hint of rosemary and a little cinnamon, really a unique nose!

Very heavy flavours here. An initial banana-sweetness coupled with some other fruits, a light hint of dried figs and green apples, a very broad fruitiness. All the while there are all these herbal notes treading along (cloves, thyme, rosemary and some white freshly ground black pepper) which makes for a very special drinking experience. It's not hard to relate to a normal weissbier, but here al the flavours are so much more pronoounced, and some minor hints that are really hard to find in normal-strength weissbiers are easier to get here, and they are enjoyable for sure. The beer finishes of with a sweet banana, a really clean banana flavour to be honest, really nice. The beer is really sweet throughout the whole tasting, and the alcohol is a little too much at times, not really balanced out, might be the eisbock-techniques doing, never tried one before.

Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, really syrupy and cloying, I usually dont have a problem with that if the beers massiveness can balance it out, but I dont get that here.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Pours a dark brown color with a bit of light seen coming through the edges of the glass. A thin head quickly dissipates to a small ring.

S- A bit of sweetness and candied fruits. Maybe some brandy and brown sugar.

T- The flavor profile is sort of similar to regular aventinus but it seems a bit stronger. Plenty of spice and plum with some vinous qualities present as well.

M- Medium/full bodied with decent carbonation.

D- A nice brew with an interesting flavor. I haven't had many Eisbocks so its tough to compare.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A - dark brown, head goes quickly

S - lots of alcohol, also cloves and spices

T/M - The alcohol is pretty apparent in the taste, which is my main complaint against this beer. Otherwise it's great. Nice warming sensation with cloves and spices just like the smell would indicate. Fits the style very well.

D - I thought it would be less of a sipper, but I had to take it kind of slowly. Still a very fine beer and glad I had it.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark ruby brown color with a large rocky white head.

Scent of wheat, yeast, dark fruits, and sugars. Fairly complex with nicely hidden alcohol.

Taste of sugars, dark fruits, wheat, caramel, and a bit of alcohol. A little overly sweet for my taste, but still a very competent brew.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is a dirty dark brown with a one finger head that fades to a collar. The aroma is banana. The taste is candy cane sweet, dark fruit, bananas and alcohol. Even though I watched a great chunk of yeast plop out of the bottle and settle to the bottom of the snifter, the taste was not all that yeasty, even at the end. The feel is medium bodied, oily and sufficiently carbonated. Drinkability is good, I could have another.

I'd never had a weizen eisbock before, and only one weizenbock, so I didn't quite know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised though at the taste of this beer. It has dessert wine characteristics to it's flavor. While I don't believe I will become a huge fan of Aventinus Eisbock (just too many other options out there), I did enjoy it greatly.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into a tulip. The body is dark mahogany with about two fingers with of rocky off white head that rapidly dissipates into soapy lacing. The smell is rich full of dark fruits, caramel, yeast, and alcohol. This smells really sweet, it reminds me of blueberry pie for some reason. The taste is dark fruits up front; figs and dates with a bready feel to it and slight traces of alcohol. The body is held up nicely with sweet malts. The carbonation is a bit higher than I expected. It's a little fizzier in my mouth than what I had anticipated, however the body is nice and heavy and not as syrupy as I would think a big beer like this would be. All things considered, I think this is rather drinkable, even though it's still a bit of a sipper.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH