Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Reviews: 1,164 | Ratings: 2,610
3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this ale tonight, served om a bottle and Celebrator glass at the Old Stein Inn in Edgewater, MD.

Appearance: Deep auburn-orange color, this ale had a great deal of sediment when poured into the glass. The bottle poured with an acceptable amount of head.

Smell: Malts come up from the glass, establishing themselves as the predominant flavor and smell of the ale. The malts are not so strong though that they reek of sweetness.

Taste: Malts hit the taste buds immediately. They are slightly sweet, providing a nice counterbalance to the high abv. The sweetness of the malts gives way to a pleasant, even wheat taste after a few seconds.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits nicely in the mouth. The wheat character provides a bit of tanginess that mixes well with the sweetness of the malt.

Drinkability: The drinkability is limited by the 12% abv, but the ale is nicely balanced and the wheat adds a distinct taste.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

My wife got this from her work.

Appearance- dark brown color, nice size head

Smell- dark fruit

Taste- strong flavor of dark fruit, sweetness

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good. I would have it again.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Clear deep amber to brown color as it sets in the glass with a modest and semi-creamy head, the color a winsome light tan, as is erodes a fine and sticky sheet of lace covers the glass. Nose is sweet malt with hint of caramel and bubble gum, fresh and quite pleasing, the start is somewhat sweet, rich in malt, top is light to medium in feel. Finish has a mild carbonation, the hops meek, pleasant, slightly tart aftertaste, and a quite quaffable brew tis’ true.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

.33L purchased from Hoosick St Beverage in Troy, NY.

My first eisbock, not to mention a weizen-eisbock. Apparently this beer is created from a mixture frozen at 20F, and they only sell 120 cases per month.

On the pour, this beer looks like pepsi/coke - a reddish mahogany. The color is different than anything I've seen before. Head is minimal and ranges from light tan to white. Sediment present as small rounded lumps...these are tossed about within the beer as the carbonation is released. This lasts for some time despite the relative lack of head.

Smells of caramel/malt/spice/banana. The taste is not far off...spice and banana and orange. Very sweet, which is slightly offputting to me. A slightly syrupy mouthfeel. The 12% doesn't manifest right away but you will feel it in the aftertaste. This is one of the only beers I've had that leaves me with a stinging feeling on my tongue.

This is virtually 3 beers in one. A bottle of this size is enough to give a pretty calming buzz. Despite that I honestly don't feel the drinkability is as low as most other beers in this ABV range.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Cracking this in honor of tonight's hailstorm (The Perfect storm would be even more fitting, but I reviewed that one two days ago). 2008 bottle, 11.2 oz, poured in a big wine glass at 54F.

Murky light brown with red highlights, opaque, with a minimal film of head, substantial lace.

Big aroma of spice cake, including plenty of clove, along with ripe banana, and milder notes of brown bread, red apple, and heady solventy booze. Cohesive, and quite nice.

Tastes sweet and boozy, with loads of clove laden spice cake, caramel, apple, banana, bread crust, and a hint of brown sugar. The booze becomes increasingly solventy, making for a hot finish. A hint of astringency emerges in the finish, counteracting the sweetness a bit, but not enough to achieve real balance. But it tastes good, the spice cake, bread crust, and fruit flavors are quite enjoyable. After the solvent and alcohol have faded, the clove still lingers for a long time.

Medium-full body, with nice tiny bubbles to scrub the tongue.

11.2 oz is a nice drink. There's no way I would drink a second bottle immediately after the first, unless paid to or coerced.

Compared to the regular Aventinus, I like the concentrated spice, malt and fruit flavors in this, but not the concentrated solvent and alcohol flavors, plus it lost some balance along the way. Still, I enjoyed it.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

11.2 oz bottle dated 2006 poured in to a goblet.

Pours a ruby brown with a rapidly disappearing head. Like a coke.

Smell is syrupy, overripe banana and alcoholy.

Taste is very rich and complex. Alcohol, malt, syrup, and banana.

Maybe this bottle was flat, as this has no carbonation. This leaves it feeling a little thin.

Very fun beer to experience.

Upon reading other reviews, it seems that something was off. I had zero caronation, and no yeast.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

A cloudy, dark brown beer sports a small, grayish-beige head. The beer is chock full o' flakes. The nose is spicy, tangy, fruity and very yeasty. Front is sweet and spicy, really dominated by yeast. The middle is an intense, syrupy malt, setting up a spicy, tangy, alcohol finish. Wow. This is an intense, tangy, fruity, yeasty beer. Aventinus on steroids.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Another great tasting beer from Schneider! Pours a murky intriguing brown with about a three quarter inch tan head. Something smells like alcohol mmmm, also a citrus scent banana?? Grapefruit?? A sweet and malty aroma! Dive in for the taste and ahh very complex just like the smell. Definitely ALCOHOL, woo hoo, with a malty wheatness. I still can tell is that banana or vanilla? The taste is big like the smell. I think I will just have to buy some more to sample and cellar. I highly recommend this brew. It went well with my grill cheese and tomato soup. I gave the low drinkability score not due to taste but alcohol content.

Enjoy!

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

11.2oz bottle into weiss glass. Cloudy mocha with a tall tan head that quickly drops to a ring and leaves spotty lacing. Aroma is banana, bubblegum, clove, and alcohol. Taste is clove, alcohol, phenol, fig, banana, bready malts. Certainly malt-forward, but the sweetness is held in check by the other elements. Medium-full body, very creamy and sticky around the mouth, velvety soft carbonation, with an astringent finish.

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%

this beer pours a dark purple-brown. really carbonated but produces no head with a medium pour.

aroma is strong burnt sugar and bread.. reminds me of fresh glazed donuts. notes of plum and dates accent this scent. something slightly sour creeps in to add even more complexity.

tastes very malty with hints of raisin and plum.. spicy with ginger and clove. very enjoyable but anything beyond a sip could kill you. the alcohol isn't overpowering, but comes in the form of heavy flavor that limits drinkability.

this is a delicious, strong winter beer. sweet caramel overpowers any of the original aventinus wheatiness. a true accomplishment and one that must be savoured.

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very dark amber color with only a thin coating of head that dissipates almost instantly to a thin collar. Pours thick as hell, almost like maple syrup.

Smell: Dark fruit, bread, clove, grape, a bit of a dark berry character with noticeable sweetness.

Taste: Mostly the same as the aroma. Strong dark fruit, clove spice, brown sugar and wheat. There's a slight astringency in the middle and finish which detracts a bit from the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is low/medium and just enough to keep the flavors moving along and prevent it from becoming cloying. Alcohol hidden well, with it only really making itself known with a medium warmth in the chest after the finish.

Overall: This is my first eisbock, so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but this was a really good beer. If it wasn't for the astringency mentioned above, this would have scored higher (not sure if this is typical for the style or not), but even with that, it's still worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer pours a cloudy brown. There is quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass. The head is light tan. It fades a little quick, leaving very few laces.

This beer has a malty aroma. I detect some dark fruits. Not much on the hops. The 12 percent ABV is hidden well. It does have a very slight rum like aroma.

This beer tastes a lot like it smells. It has a malty caramel like flavor. It also has a raisin or plumb like flavor. Not very hoppy at all. It has a very subtle spicy flavor.

This beer is full bodied. It goes down smooth, leaving a very malty aftertaste. The alcohol, after a few sips, warms the throat as it goes down.

This is probably not a great session beer. It is a bit high in alcohol. Also, the flavor is pretty aggressive. It is a good beer though. I am glad to have had the chance to try it.

550 ml bottle
Back in the LCBO as a Winter Warmer.

Pours a murky deep brown with a light tan fizzy head. Recedes quickly. Nose is dark grapes, bread, sweet spices & caramel malt. Taste is complex as well, dark fruits are forefront, some phenol noticeable, cloyingly sweet and mild finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied. Large format bottle is nice looking, great label, wish I liked this more than I do! Not a favourite style of beer I guess. Drinkable for sure, smooth on the palate and easy to enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle served in a weizen glass at Pazzo's Lexington (review from notes)

A: Deep ruby-mahogany body with a huge, cream-colored whipped head; serious head retention - it stuck around for the entire glass

S: Bananas, cloves, toasted grains and a huge rush of boozy alcohol

T: Ripe bananas are sweet up front; cinnamon and cloves add a nice spicy touch; toasted wheat notes are followed by a strong alcohol punch - peppery and with a slight sting; quite a rich beer that packs a wallop both in flavor an alcohol content

M: Slightly crisp on the front end but with a bit of a fluffy/powdery mouthfeel reminiscent of a Belgian tripel

D: Alcohol is huge in this one and dominates throughout. The only reason why I docked the overall score of the beer is simply because of how "hot" this eisbock was. It probably wasn't helped by the fact that drinking this one slowly also allowed the glass to warm more, bringing more of the alcohol flavor to the forefront. For me, the fantastic flavors that I typically associate with weizenbocks (warm banana bread, cinnamon, clove spiciness) just get overpowered by the alcohol to the point where it seems like more of a chore to try to finish my pint.

Will give this one another go-around at a later point in time to see how my palate has changed and if the alcohol will still try to punch it into submission.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance - pours a cocoa-cola brown with large irregular chunks of stuff floating around. The effervescence is strong enough that it is lifting these chunks upwards instead of letting then settle out. A tan head is under-developed and doesn't last long.

Aroma - intense yeast and grain, alcohol is prominent.

Taste - sweet, grainy, raisiny. A Belgian candy taste, yeasty flavors come in late. Brash, hot alcohol is in every aspect of this beer. An intense weizenbock for sure.

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, good carbonation, nicely done.

Drinkability - a potent form of wheat brew, a good pick now and then.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a murky brown with a lot of chunks, half finger head
S: Banana, cloves, chalky, vanilla, half baked bread, sweet malt
T: A hefewiezen on steroids, you can really taste the alchohl in this one, packs a sweet malty boozy punch, aftertaste is clean
F: Very heavy, quite thick, low carbonation, creamy
O: A very heavy beer that would be good with a large steak, worth a try

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap."

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Aventinus is one of a couple of beers I make a point of always having at least a pair of in my fridge--it's one of the best beers currently available in Ontario, it's one my girlfriend really enjoys so we can have it together, and I managed to snag an official Aventinus Weizen glass some months ago, and it's just too damn pretty not to use regularly.

Point is: I'm surprised it took me this long to try the Aventinus Eisbock. But it did.

Pours a deep unpolished garnet, murky and dark reddish brown, topped by a tight, off-white head. The Aventinus glass seems especially designed to agitate the beer with every sip so that the head is indefatigably kept alive. Sneaky.

It also helps perfectly capture the aroma. There's definite booze and cherries in the nose, with Belgian-funk and Bavarian-banana battling for top spot. It reminds me of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale or quad. Somewhat plummy and raisiny. Definitely phenolic. And I'm just as surprised as you are that I'm using the word Belgian when reviewing a German beer. But there it is. Deal.

You can taste the booze right off the bat, as alcohol coats and both warms and numbs the mouth. Once I'm passed that I get a strong malty cherry liqueur, with notes of apricot and almond, with an anis like quality, some dark fruits and and warming spice, almost reminiscent of something mulled. Finishes very dry. Very warming. No real hops present with most of the taste seeming to come from the malt and alcohol.

It's quite velvety and creamy, more and more syrupy as it warms, but with enough carbonation to help lift it off the palate.

I like this. I really like this. I love wheat beers and Belgian Strong Dark Ales and this has a bit of both going on. But, honestly, other than the two I bought on top of this to cellar, I don't think I'll come back to this one too often. The regular Aventinus is absolute perfection--and 8.2% ABV is more than enough to get me buzzed. This one falls into the category of too much of a good thing.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

purchased at BevMo. Haven't had this in a while and I thought I'd work on my 'german', bad joke. Bottle says it was bottle in 2009. I'm curious as to when in 2009. This bottle be a year old and I wouldn't know!

Poured chilled into a wide mouth wine glass. Without getting near the glass I can already smell alcohol and slight sugary malt notes. No head, and the hue of the brew is a murky cola color. Upon taking a proper whiff this smells like a strong bock beer. The alcohol isn't cutting through as much as I thought, but the malt certainly is. I smell some kind of fruit dipped in alcohol. It's refreshing and pleasant. Decent amount of carbonation cuts through my pallet. Notes of sugar and dark fruit are present with an alcoholic after taste that almost reminds of of cough syrup, but in a good way. Perfect for sipping. There's more carbonation than I would like, but what can I do? At 12% this is a great beer to take your time with, you'll definitely only need one of these.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

.33l bottle purchased from Hop City in Atlanta.

A- Pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues when held up to the light. Lots of bubbles with a pearl-like white head. Great retention
S- Complex dark fruity esters with a little alcohol bite at the end. I get some grapes, banannas, cloves...
T- Some dark fruits, bananna. Sweet up front with quite an alcohol zing on the finish. Tastes like an imperial hefe. You can definately tell beer is high in ABV.
M- Medium to full body, lightly carbonated. Slightly thick, but not too heavy.
D- Decent drinkability, especially for 12%. I want more but I don't think I could finish more than one bottle.

Overall, a well done beer for such a high ABV. Not one I would want in multiples or frequently, but a good sipper to sit down with and enjoy occasionally. I'll take the regular Aventinus for a day-to-day basis.

2004 vintage

Pours cloudy light brown with a few bubbles, but no head retention to speak of.

The smell is of dark grains, fruitiness - banana especially - and strong alcohol.

The taste is of sweet caramel with banana clove and plenty of alcohol. Not really complex, but still tasty. Full-bodied.

It's thick, rich creamy. Alcohol lingers in an assertive way. Sweetness lingers.

This is a nice sipping brew. Personally, I prefer the original Aventinus. - but this is a nice twist on it. Sweet, thick and strong. Too much for more than one - but, one to sip and savor is nice.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Appears to have been bottled on the 187th day of 2010... around July 2010, I suppose?

Pours dark brown with a large off-white head. Head is very very active- carbonation is super fizzy, like a soda. Dissipates almost as quickly too, leaving almost nothing, jut a small ring of film.

Smell contains a lot of cherry, smells a bit like a port. Some alcohol and a bit of a bubble gum scent.

Taste is quite sweet. Has a syrupy flavour to it which becomes more pronounced as the beer sits in the mouth. Caramel is noticeable. The cherry and fruit of the nose is present as well, but not quite as up front as in the smell. Alcohol is clearly present.

Body of the beer is not as super carbonated as the head would have suggested. Certainly noticeable, but not irritating. Full body, a bit syrupy, but a little lighter than I may have expected from such a strong beer. Heat from the alcohol has some effect.

Good beer, but not the gem that I may have hoped for given the reviews. The wheat qualities are noticeable, but pretty subdued. I certainly like it, but can't seem myself drinking it that often, as it is not good enough to justify the investment that 500ml of 12% brew requires!

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearence - Murky brown, really dark, but not black like a stout, kinda like a deep chestnut color. Really no head to this, it dissipates so fast and leaves just a foam ring along the glass.

Smell - Smell is amazing, brown sugar, dark ripe fruit, caramel, and hints of alcohol. Quite possibly one of the best beers I have smelled.

Taste - Taste is ok, I guess after smelling it I had hoped it would taste like that, but this tastes like a really strong Weizenbock, which I guess in essence thats what it is. Would have ranked higher if it tasted just like it smelled.

Mouthfeel - Thick, very rich, a slight tingle from either the carbonation or alcohol, I cant tell which.

Drinkability - Definitly not a session beer, has a pretty high alcohol content and rich taste so its a sipper. I dunno as I would buy another, I have had a couple other eisbocks I have enjoyed more at a lower price.

2004 bottle #18726

A: Pours a drab, cola looking concoction with a fizzy head. Fizzy like cola I might add. No head. None. And thats all I can say about that.

S: Huh. Not what I was expecting but I'm intrigued. Immediate thoughts are fresh cream with a minor backbone of caramel, hint of smoke and a smidgeon of alcohol. I think the age has done something to this beer. The aroma is not bock-like nor weizen.

T: Now thats smooth. Begins lightly malty with some serious creamy caramel flavors. Transitions quickly to blackstrap molasses then glides out leaving a wake of raisins, prunes and vanilla. There is alcohol in this beer, the numbness across the palate lets you know.

M: Full body but the mouthfeel isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. Has a touch of pricklyness.

D: 2004 doesn't seem to old for this beer but I feel a lot of the flavors are muted than they should be. The nose was the first hint. Very good regardless but I'd like to try this beer with a bit more bite so I know what I'm missing.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into chalice glass; a thick head dissapears almost instantly, leaving just a bit around the edges. Nice appearance...dark brown colour that is quite cloudy, due to the wheat. I've got a bit of sediment floating around in my glass.

Very strong smell... mostly of spices and alcohol.

The first sip of this ale was a bit overwhelming for me, with alcohol immediately present and not very well hidden. Fruit and malt tastes are also there.

Mouthfeel is strange. Faily light for such a dark looking ale and a bit fizzy.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, considering the alcohol %, but should really only be sipped. Any attempt to chug this beer could result in a trip to the hospital.

I don't know what to say. This beer is intense, making it difficult for me to fully embrace it... yet it's rough character and unique taste are well matched to the 12% alcohol content. I beleive I would try this beer again, perhaps in a different glass.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH